PDA

View Full Version : How safe are your passwords?

Coney
05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16426824

A computer worm has stolen 45,000 login credentials from Facebook, security experts have warned.

The data is believed to have been taken largely from Facebook accounts in the UK and France, according to security firm Seculert.

"In addition, cybercriminals are taking advantage of the fact that users tend to use the same password in various web-based services to gain remote access to corporate networks," it added.

Don't know about you guys but if I use different passwords for different services. If you don't, your password only needs to be grabbed by one insecure system and all your logins and accounts are compromised.

BTW, if you don't want to have to remember lots of passwords, try this for size......

http://keepass.info/

This saves your passwords in encrypted form. You generate one master password (long and not obvious - I use a mix of several things I can remember in order, some alphanumeric, some special characters. You then copy and paste passwords as needed. BTW, save the keepass file on a stick or somewhere in case you lose your system - you can download keepass again and re-use the same password file, or take the stick with you to another system and use the passwords there. Etc. Because you no longer have to remember the passwords you use, you can make them ridiculous and unmemorable with random letters, numbers, special characters, making them practically unhackable. You can have a different password for every system you access so even if one gets hacked, the others remain secure. etc.

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Shame the worm didn't steal Facebook and leave it in a dustbin. I guess if a worm is responsible for this breach then also ensure your anti-virus/ security software is up to date.

Coney
05-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Shame the worm didn't steal Facebook and leave it in a dustbin. I guess if a worm is responsible for this breach then also ensure your anti-virus/ security software is up to date.

... or use Ubuntu or some other Linux/Unix variant.

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
... or use Ubuntu or some other Linux/Unix variant.

Or get an iPad.

Coney
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Or get an iPad.

which uses the Mac OS, based on... Unix again. :)

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 11:21 PM
which uses the Mac OS, based on... Unix again. :)

And has the added advantage of a dice rolling app.

Letters
05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I do use the same password for everything which I know isn't good practise but I can't be faffed trying to remember or have to look up passwords for different things.

I think it's pretty secure though. I use a '5' for the s in 'Ar5enal'. No-one would guess that.

:cool:

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I do use the same password for everything which I know isn't good practise but I can't be faffed trying to remember or have to look up passwords for different things.

I think it's pretty secure though. I use a '5' for the s in 'Ar5enal'. No-one would guess that.

Except for the Mindless Optimism Clique.

Coney
05-01-2012, 11:39 PM

not if you increase the level by using a 1 for the l and maybe 4 for the A's. Watertight, I'd say. 4r53n41. Good job no-one knows about it.

GP
05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k&feature=related

Coney
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
:lol: I was wondering who would dig that one up.