PDA

View Full Version : The Film Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

Kano
24-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Apart from all the recorded telephone calls from the flight, obviously.

I don't think complete accuracy matters in cinema. As long as the 'spirit' of the real life event being retold is retained, then that's the most important thing. And that people realise the difference between the two. I don't think this film was promoted as being 100% accurate anyway. The list of films based on historical events that are factually inaccurate is never ending but that misses the point of what making it into a film is about.

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Apart from all the recorded telephone calls from the flight, obviously.

"Hi Mom, this is Mark Bingham"

:haha:

Letters
25-09-2016, 07:24 AM
I don't think complete accuracy matters in cinema. As long as the 'spirit' of the real life event being retold is retained, then that's the most important thing. And that people realise the difference between the two. I don't think this film was promoted as being 100% accurate anyway. The list of films based on historical events that are factually inaccurate is never ending but that misses the point of what making it into a film is about.

Obviously no-one can know exactly what went on but there are enough phone calls to give a pretty good picture.

Had to Google Mark Bingham but it's his mum to said he sometimes used to call and say that. Bit odd but it's a silly thing for his mum to lie about. Hardly a smoking gun for another wacky conspiracy theory.

http://www.911myths.com/html/mom__this_is_mark_bingham.html

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Obviously no-one can know exactly what went on but there are enough phone calls to give a pretty good picture.

Had to Google Mark Bingham but it's his mum to said he sometimes used to call and say that. Bit odd but it's a silly thing for his mum to lie about. Hardly a smoking gun for another wacky conspiracy theory.

http://www.911myths.com/html/mom__this_is_mark_bingham.html

These films are designed to push the wildest conspiracy theory of them all in the hope endless repetition and time will cement a huge lie in place of the truth. Not a problem for people who want to watch American fairy tales for pure entertainment, but there are plenty out there who still think this is all real and refuse point blank to examine 15 year's worth of accumulated material that thoroughly exposes the lie. Even that wouldn't be a problem if the lie hadn't been used to murder so many innocent people.

Kano
25-09-2016, 11:37 AM
New Beatles documentary by Ron Howard is pretty good. Helps if you haven't heard their music in a while and aren't a massive fan but some great concert footage. You can understand why they quit touring in the end given how mental it was.

Letters
26-09-2016, 11:24 AM
New Beatles documentary by Ron Howard is pretty good. Helps if you haven't heard their music in a while and aren't a massive fan but some great concert footage. You can understand why they quit touring in the end given how mental it was.

Stop buying into all the mainstream news, sheeple!

http://thebeatlesneverexisted.com/

Kano
26-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Bloody hell, I didn't know they're satanic evil devil worshippers.

Gives a whole new outlook to 'When I'm 64' and 'Love Me Do'

GP
26-09-2016, 11:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC0s6G3VbM&app=desktop

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Stop buying into all the mainstream news, sheeple!

http://thebeatlesneverexisted.com/

Ah yes, well done Letters. Crackpot theories on a web site are EXACTLY the same as economic fraud and corporate corruption of the political process. In fact, if we can prove the Beatles existed then surely we prove by extension that everything the media reports is the truth and nothing but the truth.

GP
26-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Which proves nothing because I know people who saw the Beatles live.

GP
26-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Wake up Sheeple

Letters
26-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Ah yes, well done Letters. Crackpot theories on a web site are EXACTLY the same as economic fraud and corporate corruption of the political process. In fact, if we can prove the Beatles existed then surely we prove by extension that everything the media reports is the truth and nothing but the truth.
There's the straw man again...
When did I say that?

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2016, 01:24 PM
There's the straw man again...
When did I say that?

Here: "Stop buying into all the mainstream news, sheeple!"

Just as with the topic of Wenger, every time your world view is questioned you reach not for reasoned and knowledgable argument but for the backhanded exit. Sort of like riding out on a donkey on stilts.

As an aside, did you know the mainstream sheeple are now a minority? In America, at least, the mainstream media has a lower trust rating than Congress. Hint. That's LOW. Not long to go until you hobble back in, reverse your opinions and claim you thought that way all along.

Kano
02-10-2016, 12:37 AM
The Infiltrator, meh.

Ospina :bow: couldn't save shit

Letters
04-10-2016, 01:48 AM
Finding Dory

Saw it on the flight out here.
Too similar to Nemo IMO, basically the same story, sort of.

Xhaka Can’t
04-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Bullshit!

Nemo is an ocellaris whilst Dory is a paracanthurus hepatus.

:angry:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Letters
04-10-2016, 11:24 AM
I stand corrected <_<

Xhaka Can’t
04-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Also, how bad was the inflight entertainment if you were reduced to watching that?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Most in-flight entertainment is awful, last time I was on a long haul flight i was reasonably lucky because the Euros were on and got to see two matches live

Film wise watched Dad's Army (terrible apart from Michael Gambon), Eddie the Eagle (watchable rubbish) and Batman vs Superman (absolutely no redeeming features)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Best film watched recently was Creed, probably Sylvester Stallone's best performance in a film since Cop Land (not saying much)

Lot of parallels between it and the original Rocky film but generally easy to watch and feel good.

Letters
04-10-2016, 02:42 PM
The film selection wasn't great, did watched a few episodes of Blackadder III and Alan Partridge: Scissored Isle which were good.

LDG
04-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Also, how bad was the inflight entertainment if you were reduced to watching that?

You're forgetting that this is the man who went to see Julie Andrews, Chas n Dave, likes Teddy Sherringham, and is oblivious to Arsene Wenger's failings

And he smells.

Kano
04-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Chas n Dave :bow:

Letters
04-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Chas n Dave :bow:

:gp:

Xhaka Can’t
04-10-2016, 09:19 PM
You're forgetting that this is the man who went to see Julie Andrews, Chas n Dave, likes Teddy Sherringham, and is oblivious to Arsene Wenger's failings

And he smells.

:lol: Stinky.

Coney
04-10-2016, 09:27 PM

No, but it can weaken them enough to make something collapse.

Kano
07-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Tickled - A documentary about the dark side of competitive endurance tickling.

Letters
12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Zootopia

:lol: Very good. The bit with the sloth :haha:

GP
13-10-2016, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI&ab_channel=StarWars

Niall_Quinn
13-10-2016, 10:39 PM
Star Trek Beyond. Same plot as the others, over and over again. It's really lazy.

Meanwhile, Black Mirror S1E1 on Netflix. I know it's not a film but I can't be bothered to switch thread. This is funny on so many levels. Even the ending is pants pissing funny.

Niall_Quinn
13-10-2016, 10:41 PM
The Siege of Jadotville - good story, badly done. It doesn't have the same sense of foreboding as Zulu, no matter how hard it tries. Not terrible though.

Thierrymon
19-10-2016, 10:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9NVxYRrZs

Marc Overmars
19-10-2016, 11:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9NVxYRrZs

Loved Guardians. :popcorn:

Letters
27-10-2016, 02:09 PM
The good people at Sri Lankan airlines had all the Rocky films on their in-flight entertainment :d

Watched II and IV. The best two IMO.

Rocky :bow:

GP
27-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Kano
29-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Oasis doc Supersonic is a good watch, narrated by the band and pretty bloody funny most of the time.

I was never really a fan of their stuff but as a nostalgia trip of the 90's, definitely worth seeing.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Watched All the Way, the film version of Broadway play where Bryan Cranston plays LBJ

They have used prosthetics to make his ears bigger and chin and facial features more pronounced, but Cranston shows what an absolute gem of an actor he is that you often forget that it's him.

The film captures well his personality as someone who was a crass and irritable man, his profound dislike of Robert "Bobby" Kennedy, had an easier relationship with Hoover than his predecessor using manipulation, and was able to bully, intimidate or manipulate other people into getting what he wanted.

Pushes home the point that he was prepared to go much further than Kennedy in Viernam, in many respects to maintain a front that he was a tough customer on foreign policy but preferred to leave big decisions to McNamara and the joint chiefs so he could concentrate on domestic initiatives.

Letters
31-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Cloverfield 10

Interesting. Not what I was expecting, I thought it was going to be quite similar to Cloverfield but it ended up being very different and doesn't quite go where you expect.
I enjoyed it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2016, 02:48 PM
I also watched Dr Strangelove the other day, it's one of those films where i've always meant to watch it and it was recommended to me on Netflix so thought why not.

I know it's meant to all be about Peter Sellars, but actually the most amusing character in it is General Buck Turgidson played by George C Scott.

"The man's a psychotic"

"well let's not rush to judgement until we have all the facts in"

One of the few Kubrick films i haven't seen, will have to push myself to give Barry Lyndon a go one of these days.

Letters
31-10-2016, 03:31 PM
One of my favourite lines in film history, in that film:

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, you can't fight in here...this is the war room!"

:lol:

Kano
31-10-2016, 04:33 PM
I also watched Dr Strangelove the other day, it's one of those films where i've always meant to watch it and it was recommended to me on Netflix so thought why not.

I know it's meant to all be about Peter Sellars, but actually the most amusing character in it is General Buck Turgidson played by George C Scott.

"The man's a psychotic"

"well let's not rush to judgement until we have all the facts in"

One of the few Kubrick films i haven't seen, will have to push myself to give Barry Lyndon a go one of these days.

Lyndon is a superb film. Long but one of his best.

The art of self preservation and the tragedy of success.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Read Jon Ronson essay about Kubrick where he visited his wife who had a house and several trailers full of his stuff

He wanted to do a biopic about Napoleon, but partly because Kubrick was being obsessively meticulous and partly because of the Waterloo film starring Rod Steiger meaning there was no great clamour for it, it never got off the ground...but there was a ridiculous amount of Napoleon based material he kept, every book to that point ever written about him etc and was still there long after his death.

Most of his films were made in England even films where they clearly look filmed on location, because of Kubrick's fear of flying (which was odd because he was a qualified pilot).

Used to buy shirts in bulk in packets and used to have loads of unopened shirts in packets lying around.

Kano
31-10-2016, 06:11 PM
You get the sense of what a control freak he was by how meticulously composed his shots are, along with the right editing, the infamous onset stories about how he treated some actors and the amount of research he put into every world he wanted to create.

Yet Strangelove and Lolita both work quite a lot wirh improv, which allowed Sellars to push the boat out on where he took those characters. I guess Sellars was more of a maverick that was probably allowed that creative room more than anyone else Kubrick worked with.

Letters
31-10-2016, 06:52 PM
I heard that Sellars would beg the studio not to release every film he made as he thought each one was rubbish.
Like a lot of geniuses (and that word is overused but it applies to him and Kubrick, I reckon) he was deeply troubled.

Kano
31-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Most comedians tend to be pretty screwed up in one way or the other. I guess funnier they are, the more screwed up they are. There are so many stories about comedians battling depression and generally getting caught up in a world of shit when not onstage. It's a strange and tough career path to follow.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I heard that Sellars would beg the studio not to release every film he made as he thought each one was rubbish.
Like a lot of geniuses (and that word is overused but it applies to him and Kubrick, I reckon) he was deeply troubled.

Sellers was more than troubled he was a complete and utter Tosser

Treated people like shit, was emotionally and physically abusive to his wives and completely distant with his children (told his daughter in a letter not to think of him as her father).

Kano
31-10-2016, 08:34 PM
I don't see how any artists personal life should really matter to us, unless we want it to. We're all selective over which misdemeanours we choose to ignore. Their talent is all that should concern us. Sellars being a prick still doesn't change how funny he was.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I don't see how any artists personal life should really matter to us, unless we want it to. We're all selective over which misdemeanours we choose to ignore. Their talent is all that should concern us. Sellars being a prick still doesn't change how funny he was.

I wasn't knocking his talent, I was saying he was a prick the two things aren't contiguous

Kano
31-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Sure but it seemed to be a more important point to raise than what he was actually good at. The vast majority of the world couldn't give a toss what he did with his wife and kids, as long as he made them laugh.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Well yes I've just said the two things are entirely seperate, I still listen to the Beatles even though it was quite clear John Lennon was a massive cunt.

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Well yes I've just said the two things are entirely seperate, I still listen to the Beatles even though it was quite clear John Lennon was a massive cunt.

???

Why?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 09:38 AM
shunned his first born kid because he didn't happen to love the kid's mother, continued a pointless and needless feud with Paul McCartney after the Beatles had split often making the other two members feel like they had to pick sides. The owner of the Jacoranda Club who funded Lennon, McCartney and Harrison to go to Hamburg in the late fifties/early sixties to play in the clubs and make a name for themselves had asked only for a small amount of the profits they were making from playing to packed out cafes and Lennon unilaterally decided they didn't need him any more and stiffed him out of the money.

Had a habit of being unpleasant and nasty to people just to get a rise out of them, and used to constantly be abusive to Brian Epstein

Don't get me wrong, he never deserved what happened to him, there are plenty of arseholes out there.....they don't all deserve to be shot in the back in front of your wife and young son (second son Sean).

Letters
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
John Lennon could be quite the arse, it's true.

GP
01-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Yeah but he's dead now, so that's some consolation.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 10:09 AM
he'd be insufferable if he was still alive, but there's no question what happened to him was awful

Power n Glory
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Why was he shot?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Why was he shot?

ask Mark Chapman, the guy was a nutcase. The sick thing is Lennon had seen him earlier in the day and signed an autograph for him

Letters
01-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Yeah. Crazed fan. Stupid thing is he's still in prison. Maybe he is still dangerous but I suspect had he shot any ordinary person he'd have been out long ago. December 8th, 1980 (no, I didn't have to look that up) so it's nearly 36 years.

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
shunned his first born kid because he didn't happen to love the kid's mother, continued a pointless and needless feud with Paul McCartney after the Beatles had split often making the other two members feel like they had to pick sides. The owner of the Jacoranda Club who funded Lennon, McCartney and Harrison to go to Hamburg in the late fifties/early sixties to play in the clubs and make a name for themselves had asked only for a small amount of the profits they were making from playing to packed out cafes and Lennon unilaterally decided they didn't need him any more and stiffed him out of the money.

Had a habit of being unpleasant and nasty to people just to get a rise out of them, and used to constantly be abusive to Brian Epstein

Don't get me wrong, he never deserved what happened to him, there are plenty of arseholes out there.....they don't all deserve to be shot in the back in front of your wife and young son (second son Sean).

Sounds pretty mild for pop star territory. Massive cunt? Compared to which celebrity saint? They're all massive cunts by this standard.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Sounds pretty mild for pop star territory. Massive cunt? Compared to which celebrity saint? They're all massive cunts by this standard.

He was just one example, i never said he was unique

Kano
01-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Yeah. Crazed fan. Stupid thing is he's still in prison. Maybe he is still dangerous but I suspect had he shot any ordinary person he'd have been out long ago. December 8th, 1980 (no, I didn't have to look that up) so it's nearly 36 years.

And being sentenced to the MOTD2 gig with Danny Murphy is beyond cruel.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Sirhan is still in Prison for Killing Robert Kennedy 48 years ago, he won't be up for parole for another five years

Plus actually the Penal statue in the most American states is far stricter than it is over here, in Louisiana for instance there are people in prison for armed robbery or rape for 40 years or more.

In the case of pre-meditated murder, I don't think 36 years is an excessive amount of time. He is very fortunate that New York state doesn't have the Death Penalty

Kano
03-11-2016, 11:44 PM
https://youtu.be/IGdiACWiMAM

Thierrymon
04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Went to see Hacksaw Ridge. Pretty good. The war scenes were pretty horrific to watch.

Loads of religious rhetoric (it is a Mel Gibson film). Felt heavy handed.

Kano
04-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Gibson is pretty good fun in Blood Father, real charismatic screen presence.

Kano
11-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Hell or High Water is a good film. Pretty timely too.

Kano
12-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Anthropoid is pretty good too. A little cliched but you can always rely on Cillian Murphy to deliver.

Niall_Quinn
18-11-2016, 12:41 AM
"Most people already catalogue their lives for public consumption..."

"I no longer have to worry about what I do tomorrow, because I'm happy with what I've done today."

Snowden.

It's Oliver Stone, so filter that out.

What you are left with is slightly sickly, slightly queasy. Can anyone really be this pure?

The answer is no. But then again we're comparing apples with carcinogenic, stillborn mutants.

So leave that all aside. And what you are left with is one of the greatest heroes in a time when heroes just don't exist. And that's pretty remarkable. You can almost forgive Stone for fawning. It's one of the rare times when it is, maybe not justifiable, but understandable. Like Ghandi. Yes, definitely. Leading a whole people out of slavery. Flawed, but steeped in the experiences that allows real judgement to make a stand and have a legitimate voice amongst a sea of sound bite artists. I think we are grown up enough by now to know that MOST of this film is a true story.

I enjoyed it. I'm glad Stone made it because it saved us having to sit through a cheap hit-piece, at least. The degenerate Obama is exposed thoroughly. Damn, I cheered when that Uncle Tom (in the modern sense rather than the heroic sense) was selected. More fool me. Nothing worse than a nigger who knows his place. Well this film will show all you wilting, leftist, liberal ninnies the true face of your idol.

Donald Trump, threatening execution. Just thrown in there as an afterthought (of course it wasn't), long before he became a viable choice? Prescience? Yes.

Snowden outed them all and reminded us that, in the end, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is not beholden to an authoritarian state and, indeed, life, liberty and happiness is impossible in the presence of the state because where the state exists, so exist the overriding imperative which is the preservation of the state. It's an obnoxious Catch 22 that can only be resolved in one manner.

Snowden, Manning, Assange, for all the slings and arrows from the ignorant or from those who mean well but are afraid or too pressed to think, fuck. Thanks man! You have more guts than I do, to my shame.

Watch it and then use Tor and stick something over that stupid fucking me-me-me camera.

Thierrymon
19-11-2016, 04:04 AM
Just went to see Arrival. Thought it was excellent. Great Sci-Fi movie.

Kano
20-11-2016, 02:18 AM
http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/World-of-Tomorrow/Movie?id=53737

Amazing on a second watch a couple of years on.

Hertzfeldt :bow:

GP
24-11-2016, 12:45 AM
https://i.imgur.com/eW7JW39.jpg

Thierrymon
24-11-2016, 05:39 AM
I am so ready!

to be disappointed again.

Kano
24-11-2016, 08:12 AM
The last one was shit.

Kano
03-12-2016, 11:21 PM
The Accountant is fucking ridiculous but pretty good fun.

GP
11-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Suicide Squad.

Garbage.

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Mad Max Fury Road.

:blink: Mental. Relentless. Great fun to watch. It did feel a bit.... women's lib, but I can forgive it, I'd forgive it if there was only the Guitar Guy :bow:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Mad Max Fury Road.

:blink: Mental. Relentless. Great fun to watch. It did feel a bit.... women's lib, but I can forgive it, I'd forgive it if there was only the Guitar Guy :bow:

I remember reading that it was a feminist film before going to watch it, and one of the arguments for it was the lack of dialogue Max has in comparison to Charlize Theron's character.

Obviously the person who wrote this had not seen the other Mad Max films, as Max as a character is pretty taciturn

I wasn't that bothered by the women's lib thing, because it seemed to me the only point was that women should not be used as breeding machines which seems fair enough (although the female characters rescued by Furiosa are as irritating as they are attractive).

The Guitar Guy is not only my favourite thing about the film, it should be every-ones, no post apocalyptic raiding party can be complete without someone like him!.

But yeah totally agree, loud, insane and one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences I've had!

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-12-2016, 01:47 PM
I remember reading that it was a feminist film before going to watch it, and one of the arguments for it was the lack of dialogue Max has in comparison to Charlize Theron's character.

Obviously the person who wrote this had not seen the other Mad Max films, as Max as a character is pretty taciturn

I wasn't that bothered by the women's lib thing, because it seemed to me the only point was that women should not be used as breeding machines which seems fair enough (although the female characters rescued by Furiosa are as irritating as they are attractive).

The Guitar Guy is not only my favourite thing about the film, it should be every-ones, no post apocalyptic raiding party can be complete without someone like him!.

But yeah totally agree, loud, insane and one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences I've had!

It didn't bother me, more that I noticed it just all felt a little forced as it went on, a little too spaded on. Not that I noticed for long, given it couldn't go 5 seconds without something brutally exploding.

Kano
13-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Didn't really like the updated version and the whole feminist schtick didn't work for me l either. Stylised models in the desert and a sexualised Theron didn't feel too liberating as Max saved the day. I guess she got to drive a truck so that's progress. Strange that such a pumped up comedy film took itself so seriously at times too. Think there's a sequel in production or planned soon.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Didn't really like the updated version and the whole feminist schtick didn't work for me l either. Stylised models in the desert and a sexualised Theron didn't feel too liberating as Max saved the day. I guess she got to drive a truck so that's progress. Strange that such a pumped up comedy film took itself so seriously at times too. Think there's a sequel in production or planned soon.

I suppose we all derive different things from films, I didn't get the impression that it ever took itself that seriously and certainly none of the other Mad Max films do from the more grind house original to the guys going round in leather chaps in the other films....the whole franchise has always been absurdist and over the top and that's what I enjoy about it.

Marc Overmars
15-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Creed.

Standard Rocky flick but pretty enjoyable on the whole. A nice addition to the series.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Creed.

Standard Rocky flick but pretty enjoyable on the whole. A nice addition to the series.

I liked Creed as well, it felt reminiscent of a modern day reworking of the original Rocky film in many ways.

Sly Stallone is really good in this

Letters
15-12-2016, 02:10 PM
:good: I thought Creed was good, Rocky VI and VII have pretty much made up for V in my book.
Also, Emirates have the Box Set as part of their in-flight entertainment so I watched II, III and IV on recent travels.
Emirates :bow:

Power n Glory
15-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Rocky Balboa, the one before Creed was solid also. Good performance from Stallone. Creed was great too.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Rocky Balboa, the one before Creed was solid also. Good performance from Stallone. Creed was great too.

I don't hate Balboa, but I pity the fool

Not seen it have to admit.

Power n Glory
15-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Worth a watch if you liked Creed. Stallone was great. A much better end to the series over Rocky V.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Worth a watch if you liked Creed. Stallone was great. A much better end to the series over Rocky V.

Ha yeah it's terrible, not even in an enjoyable way like Rocky IV

What I love about Rocky Films is the amount of punishment the pugilists take without sustaining brain damage (Ok Rocky is a little Brain damaged after fighting Ivan Drago and Apollo is killed, but realistically they would have had the plug pulled on the life support machine many times over by then).

Marc Overmars
15-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Looking forward to Rogue One. Sounds really good.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Looking forward to Rogue One. Sounds really good.

Got tickets for Xmas eve

Letters
15-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Will go and see it some time over Christmas, don't really approve of all these spin-offs but a friend is keen and I've read good things about it.

Thierrymon
18-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Very impressed by Rogue One. A lot more enjoyable than Force Awakens.

Marc Overmars
21-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Enjoyed Rogue One. Nice addition to series.

Darth Vader. :bow:

Nice bit of work for the ending too.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Actually surprised Rogue one has been as well received as it has though I really enjoyed it.

Power n Glory
21-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Something felt missing. It was solid and the tone was different for a Star Wars movie. I liked that. But characters felt a little under cooked and nothing really new shed on the Star Wars universe. I'll rewatch at some point.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-12-2016, 11:20 PM
It's a side dish of a star wars so was almost inevitably going to feel like that and the lack of sabre action and an individual wholly tangible menace was felt if you get what I mean.

Marc Overmars
21-12-2016, 11:41 PM
It's best to just look at Rogue One and A New Hope as one big movie.

Power n Glory
21-12-2016, 11:49 PM
It's a side dish of a star wars so was almost inevitably going to feel like that and the lack of sabre action and an individual wholly tangible menace was felt if you get what I mean.

Kinda. We knew what was going to happen but I didn't care about the characters. That was the main reason it didn't grip me. Just seemed under cooked. As a stand alone movie and if this weren't part of the Star Wars franchise, I'd feel the same way or maybe more harsh on it. Give us more of reason why the Empire are evil or why we should care about the rogues.

Thierrymon
25-12-2016, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

:popcorn:

GP
28-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Sausage Party

Somehow, far, far worse than I expected.

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Getting some use from my Now TV pass whilst I'm off (I think I say this every time). You can get a free one/two month pass for it as well, can't argue.

Deadpool :lol: Didn't expect it to be quite that good. Nor did I expect a line about Basil Fawlty. Good film. Liked the "British Bad Guy" as well, though I've got no idea who he is.

Watched Dumb and Dumber for the first time the other day (week?) as well if only because I was met with incredulity that I hadn't seen it. It was alright. Not the classic people had made out though. I haven't seen Home Alone either, but I don't think I can be bothered watching that. And on Jim Carrey; Liar Liar on ITV the other day. :bow: Infinitely better.

And you can beat a bit of Batman Begins/Dark Knight today either.

I really want to sit down and watch The Revenant at some point too. And will probably watch the new Jungle Book as well.

Beats watching Eastenders or Mrs Brown's Boys :sick:

Niall_Quinn
31-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Watched Fury again after a long gap. Riveting stuff. This is a good one.

Letters
31-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Enjoyed Rogue One although I don't approve of them making a load of Star Wars films which all end up very samey

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Enjoyed Rogue One although I don't approve of them making a load of Star Wars films which all end up very samey

Each to their own I suppose, but I didn't find anything that samey about it

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-01-2017, 07:58 PM
I watched two films that are two of the biggest titles from the 1970s and can't believe not seen them before

Deliverence and Dirty Harry

Both are obviously amazing

Power n Glory
07-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Samey? To which Star Wars movie?

Letters
09-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I'd say Episode IV, Episode VII and Rogue One are all pretty much the same.
Droids. Space ships. Battles. Rinse and repeat.
They're good, don't get me wrong, but they're all of a type.

Marc Overmars
09-01-2017, 10:51 AM
I think it was important that VII went back to basics after the crap prequels, I imagine VIII and IX will be a bit different as they will explore the characters more.

The Han Solo movie will probably be completely different too.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Yeah, a Star Wars type of movie! What did you expect? Sea, Pirates and Swords? Wrong Disney franchise! :lol:

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Agreed. Same plot. Same characters, different actors. Utterly predictable.

Star Wars = New audience, double dipping profits. Nothing new here for the people who enjoyed the early films way back when.

Letters
09-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Yeah, a Star Wars type of movie! What did you expect? Sea, Pirates and Swords? Wrong Disney franchise! :lol:

I got what I expected, but don't pretend they're all really different. I didn't expect them to be but if there are too many of them then it'll al get a bit "meh".

GP
09-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I watched Harry Potter 6 last night. Really similar to the first 5. Disappointing.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 11:43 AM
I watched Skyfall over Christmas. Was so disappointed to see James Bond in the film. It's the same MI5 spy stuff in every movie! Why can't they do something different? ;)

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 11:49 AM
I got what I expected, but don't pretend they're all really different. I didn't expect them to be but if there are too many of them then it'll al get a bit "meh".

You're going to have to be more specific than that. Droids, spaceships and battles...the move title 'STAR WARS' should give a slight clue.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 12:21 PM
I watched Harry Potter 6 last night. Really similar to the first 5. Disappointing.

Except it isn't at all. The difference between the first film and the last is stark.

People criticise the Star Wars prequels but at least they offered a different look at the Star Wars universe. VII, on the other hand, is a ridiculous movie if you judge it in terms of plot and the historical context of the series. It's a compression of the Skywalker arc and done in a really hamfisted manner. The Vader clone is a parody. For people who haven't seen the original it's a decent shoot'em'up in Star Wars costumes. Worth the watch but not worth pretending it's a movie of any merit.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 12:24 PM
You're going to have to be more specific than that. Droids, spaceships and battles...the move title 'STAR WARS' should give a slight clue.

He has a perfectly valid point and you know perfectly well what that point is. You're answering him using extremes but then criticising him for failing to provide finer details.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

space ships and robots in a sci fi franchise?

Who'd have thought it

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-01-2017, 12:56 PM
He has a perfectly valid point and you know perfectly well what that point is. You're answering him using extremes but then criticising him for failing to provide finer details.

He may well have a perfectly valid point, but he's certainly not expressing it well

It's like saying football has become too samey now, just 11 blokes in strips and shorts kicking a piece of inflated spherical plastic around a football pitch and trying to outscore each other.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 01:00 PM
He may well have a perfectly valid point, but he's certainly not expressing it well

It's like saying football has become too samey now, just 11 blokes in strips and shorts kicking a piece of inflated spherical plastic around a football pitch and trying to outdefend each other.

You also make a perfectly valid point.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 01:09 PM

It's like saying football has become too samey now, just 11 blokes in strips and shorts kicking a piece of inflated spherical plastic around a football pitch and trying to outscore each other.

Exactly! :lol: That's why I'm taking the piss a little.

Droids and space in Star Wars? Never!

Letters
09-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Episodes IV and VII have pretty much the exact same plot :lol:

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Ahhh shut it! Don't get your knickers in a twist over football talk.

I thought he had something I didn't notice but to come out and say it's samey because it had droids, space and battles? ;) That's special!

I wasn't impressed by Rogue One. I've seen better war movies and thought it was pretty think on character development. I'd agree about it being a generic film dressed in Star Wars uniform. A slightly darker and mature tone is something fans have yearned for but that's not enough to cut the mustard for me.

Letters
09-01-2017, 01:29 PM
I watched Skyfall over Christmas. Was so disappointed to see James Bond in the film. It's the same MI5 spy stuff in every movie! Why can't they do something different? ;)

I'm sure you think you're making a good point there but yes, they are all quite similar. They are mostly good as are the Star War ones (I'm pretending the prequels didn't happen although II and III are OK), but I wouldn't want them to make endless cookie cutter ones like they do with all the super-hero stuff.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
I'm sure you think you're making a good point there but yes, they are all quite similar. They are mostly good as are the Star War ones (I'm pretending the prequels didn't happen although II and III are OK), but I wouldn't want them to make endless cookie cutter ones like they do with all the super-hero stuff.

Again, elaborate on what you mean by similar other than the settings and props. Saying they've got droids and space...well duh! Of course they're going to have those elements in the movie. It's a Star Wars. I thought you were going to make a point about the plot being similar to the other movies like Ep VII was to EP IV.

Letters
09-01-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm not making any deep point, I'm just saying they're all a bit samey. You know what you're going to get. Yes, like Bond, like Harry Potter, like lots of genres or types of film. I didn't expect a load of nerds to take it as a stinging criticism of the entire saga.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm not making any deep point, I'm just saying they're all a bit samey. You know what you're going to get. Yes, like Bond, like Harry Potter, like lots of genres or types of film. I didn't expect a load of nerds to take it as a stinging criticism of the entire saga.

That's a bit samey from you tbf.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 02:03 PM

It's hardly stinging criticism. You've a bit of a Ralph Wiggum moment.

I'm not a fan of Rogue One so criticize away. I don't get all the hype behind it.

Letters
09-01-2017, 02:12 PM
That's a bit samey from you tbf.

:lol:

My cat's breath smells of cat food :)

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 02:14 PM
It's hardly stinging criticism. You've a bit of a Ralph Wiggum moment.

I'm not a fan of Rogue One so criticize away. I don't get all the hype behind it.

Money.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Money.

I don't get the hype from the fans is what I mean. Film critics have been more harsh on the reviews.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 02:25 PM
I don't get the hype from the fans is what I mean. Film critics have been more harsh on the reviews.

Small lives.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Episodes IV and VII have pretty much the exact same plot :lol:

Yes this is true, but the point you were making was about Rogue One

I think it stands up well as a stand alone film, in chronological terms it's the star wars film i've enjoyed most since the Empire Strikes Back.

(Although i was born four months after Return of the Jedi's uk release so gauging it chronologically might be a bit spurious)

I didn't particularly like Felicity Jones as the female lead i thought she was wooden, and i don't know what Forrest Whittaker was trying to be but yeah it was a good nostalgia romp and a lot of fun to watch in the cinema.

The biggest shame for me was that Mads Mikkelsen didn't have a larger part.

LDG
09-01-2017, 03:12 PM

I think it stands up well as a stand alone film, in chronological terms it's the star wars film i've enjoyed most since the Empire Strikes Back.

(Although i was born four months after Return of the Jedi's uk release so gauging it chronologically might be a bit spurious)

I didn't particularly like Felicity Jones as the female lead i thought she was wooden, and i don't know what Forrest Whittaker was trying to be but yeah it was a good nostalgia romp and a lot of fun to watch in the cinema.

The biggest shame for me was that Mads Mikkelsen didn't have a larger part.

Pretty much sums up my views. Especially your points on the cast.

Power n Glory
09-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I really didn't care that much for Jones as the lead. Very wooden but from what I heard they cut of scenes in editing.

Letters
09-01-2017, 03:50 PM
I was making a general point which is that I hope they don't make a load of these films which will end up all being cookie-cutter ones. IMO that's what's happened with all the Marvel/DC stuff and I can't be bothered with it now. So long as they have an audience I guess they'll keep making them though.

it was a good nostalgia romp and a lot of fun to watch in the cinema.
Don't disagree with that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-01-2017, 04:13 PM
I was making a general point which is that I hope they don't make a load of these films which will end up all being cookie-cutter ones. IMO that's what's happened with all the Marvel/DC stuff and I can't be bothered with it now. So long as they have an audience I guess they'll keep making them though.

Don't disagree with that.

My point would be that Rogue One is freer from the traditional Star Wars template than any other in the franchise.

No Jedis for a start

Letters
09-01-2017, 04:22 PM
I guess that's true. Personally I preferred Episode VII because it WAS in the template and it was good to see the old gang again.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Haven't seen Rogue One. Saw a trailer and thought, seen it!

Marc Overmars
12-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Went to see Passengers last night. A nice idea but a little bit meh.

I would like to have sex with Jennifer Lawrence though.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-01-2017, 03:35 PM
I would like to have sex with Jennifer Lawrence though.

Yes I also would like to have sex with her

Niall_Quinn
12-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't that be rape? Technically?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't that be rape? Technically?

Ok I'll bite, explain how

Niall_Quinn
12-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Ok I'll bite, explain how

That was a subtle (and rather brilliant) joke.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Next Star Wars film called The Last Jedi

Marc Overmars
23-01-2017, 04:39 PM
11 months to wait. :crying:

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Arrival - a horrible film that starts out promising much and ends up delivering fuck all except frustration, bitterness and resentment. These scriptwriters aren't as smart as they think and one day somebody is going to ask the dreaded question - what's the film about? Makes you leave the pirate stream thinking, fuck, I'm glad I didn't pay to see that!

Hacksaw Ridge. Great story, if true. Standard stuff in all other respects. Lot's of blowing up, blood, guts, still not as good as Saving Private Ryan. Underdog becomes the hero. Comes to represent those glorious American virtues we all know and love so much. But still, if the guy really did all that then fair play.

Casablanca - again. Magnificent as usual. Something new to discover every time. The dialogue pops so hard and fast you end up laughing at shit that happened 20 minutes before.

Letters
25-01-2017, 08:42 AM
La La Land.

Very good :d

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Every dancer I know has told me it's crap so I'm not desperate to see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film......though I hate the idea of people Waltzing to jazz.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-01-2017, 10:18 PM
I just don't get why anybody would think Rogue one is better than the force awakens. The former has a jedi in the way of a kung fun style blind man who REPEATEDLY mumbles....I am at one with the force....the force is at one with me. He even wields a jedi like weapon...... he's a Jedi in everything but name.

The ostensible omission of Jedi's does not have that much significance. It's a decent film but the lack of relation to the saga in direct terms just means you end up not caring so much about what happens.

Letters
26-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Every dancer I know has told me it's crap so I'm not desperate to see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film......though I hate the idea of people Waltzing to jazz.

How many dancers do you know? :blink:

Power n Glory
26-01-2017, 09:48 AM
I just don't get why anybody would think Rogue one is better than the force awakens. The former has a jedi in the way of a kung fun style blind man who REPEATEDLY mumbles....I am at one with the force....the force is at one with me. He even wields a jedi like weapon...... he's a Jedi in everything but name.

The ostensible omission of Jedi's does not have that much significance. It's a decent film but the lack of relation to the saga in direct terms just means you end up not caring so much about what happens.

Most of these types of movies have a pretty bog standard generic plot but make up for it with great action and characters. There wasn’t much depth to any of the characters, not much chemistry or development in Rogue One. But that’s not a major crime. I’ve seen other movies get past character development problems by having their characters face a massive mission impossible style task. Everyone loves to root for the underdog and seeing how it all unravels. That wasn’t the case for Rogue One either. It was all a bit too bland.

I’ll watch it again to see if my opinion changes. Watched Bourne Legacy again recently and thought it was better on 2nd viewing. Same happened with the latest Indiana Jones movie.

Globalgunner
28-01-2017, 07:43 PM
John Hurt. RIP
Still cant get the picture of that nasty alien coming out of his chest out of my mind. Its a great life if people remember you for the art that you left behind. Respect.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Watched a couple of the Oscar bait films from two years back - Birdman and Boyhood

Birdman is an interesting quirky film about self obsession, it's amusing and dark but it's pretty unspectacular.

Boyhood seemed to me to be more based on the novelty
cinematic concept of using the same actors over a 12 year period than anything particularly great about the film. Ethan Hawke for me is the only real likeable character, the director uses his own daughter to play the main characters older sister and she's terrible especially by the time she reaches adulthood herself.

Letters
01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I liked Birdman a lot :d

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Watched Whiplash, best of the three films i have seen this week although i found the ending a little unsatisfactory

But then again in real life how many people are actually punished for being total cunts

Then again Nieman himself is a jack off and it shows the weakness of his character that despite Fletcher being a manipulative bullying tosser he is still pathetically grateful for anything remotely approaching praise from him.

Letters
03-02-2017, 09:20 AM
David Brent: Life On The Road.

:lol: Very good. Not great cinema, obviously, but made me lol, as the kids are saying.
Gervais is a bit of a one trick pony but it's a good trick. Recently without any way of watching TV after the move for a few weeks we resorted to DVDs and re-watched all of The Office and Extras. Don't think he's done anything anywhere near as good since those two shows.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm one of those few people who never found the Office funny

Not a big fan of Ricky Gervais anyway, even though it's hit and miss I think his best comedy work is in his stand up

Letters
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm a big fan of his standup, seen him a few times live. Second season of Extras has quite a few laugh out loud moments.

GP
03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Love Gervais, me.

I really like The Invention of Lying, though like Derek, it's really ham-fisted with it's message.

Life on the Road is a nice follow-up to The Office. It's funny but also really sad to see him reduced certain things. Paying for his band to have a drink with him was particularly sad.

Letters
03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
I don't think his films have ever been as good as his TV shows, The Invention of Lying was OK although some of his writing is a bit ham-fisted. Not being able to lie, or it not occurring to you, doesn't mean you'd go out of your way to be rude to people by saying what's on your mind.

Letters
03-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I think Extras is actually his best work, thinking about it. Love this speech at the end of the Christmas Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1P7ncmRGo

GP
10-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Hacksaw Ridge.

Jesus, that's brutal. Great film.

Xhaka Can’t
10-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Love Gervais, me.

I really like The Invention of Lying, though like Derek, it's really ham-fisted with it's message.

Life on the Road is a nice follow-up to The Office. It's funny but also really sad to see him reduced certain things. Paying for his band to have a drink with him was particularly sad.

I've seen a couple of his work in progress shows at Finchley Arts Depot. Fuckin magic, especially the Bruce/Caitlin Jenner sketch

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2017, 11:15 PM
iBoy. Possibly the most encouragement I have obtained from a film in years. Because if that shit can get a budget then surely I, regardless of what crap I come up with, can get funded and become a screenwriter.

Shaqiri Is Boss
25-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Finally got round to actually watching The Revenant.

Definitely visceral and brutal, but I can't say whether I actually enjoyed it. Meh.

Niall_Quinn
25-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Finally got round to actually watching The Revenant.

Definitely visceral and brutal, but I can't say whether I actually enjoyed it. Meh.

Same here. I thought, this should win an Oscar... for some reason. But I was glad when it ended.

Letters
26-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Hacksaw Ridge.

Jesus, that's brutal. Great film.

Jebus :bow:

Saw it today. Very good. The battle scenes are pretty harrowing. Great film.

Letters
26-02-2017, 09:41 PM
I've seen a couple of his work in progress shows at Finchley Arts Depot. Fuckin magic, especially the Bruce/Caitlin Jenner sketch

Booked tickets to see him in October, seen him a few times before and I saw one of his in progress shows and it was brilliant

Letters
26-02-2017, 09:43 PM
"Sing"

Good fun :d

"Manchester By The Sea"

Not good fun, but pretty good. Not sure it quite lived up to the hype I'd heard

"Inferno"

Meh. Ok. Some notable differences from the book.

Marc Overmars
26-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Booked tickets to see him in October, seen him a few times before and I saw one of his in progress shows and it was brilliant

Yeah I've also booked tickets for October. Can't wait.

Gervais is great.

GP
01-03-2017, 07:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Marc Overmars
01-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Went to see Logan tonight.

Didn't have high hopes as they churn so many of these out now but it was decent, probably the best X-Men film in recent memory IMO.

Coney
01-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Went to see 'Hidden Figures' at the weekend - great movie. :good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Didn't have high hopes as they churn so many of these out now but it was decent, probably the best X-Men film in recent memory IMO.

Not really saying a lot though

Coney
01-03-2017, 09:37 PM
This is the film series where they can't pronounce Xavier and say 'Ex-avier'?

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2017, 02:31 AM
Challenge. Are you tough enough?

I dare you to watch Manchester by the Sea from start to finish without a break. I got to about 50 minutes and if you aren't deeply impressed by that then have a go yourself and apologise after.

Xhaka Can’t
02-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I don't think I've managed to make it through one of the trailers.

WTF were you doing going to see that. And don't say cinema pass. I've just got one and will watch practically anything.

But a line had to be drawn somewhere.

Marc Overmars
02-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Not really saying a lot though

I think the 15 rating definitely gave this film a different feel/edge to it compared to the previous ones.

Letters
02-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Challenge. Are you tough enough?

I dare you to watch Manchester by the Sea from start to finish without a break. I got to about 50 minutes and if you aren't deeply impressed by that then have a go yourself and apologise after.

Thought it was quite good. Not as good as people are saying though. Not much happens and it doesn't really go anywhere.

Xhaka Can’t
02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Thought it was quite good. Not as good as people are saying though. Not much happens and it doesn't really go anywhere.

Sounds like 90 minutes at the Emirates.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2017, 02:03 PM
I don't think I've managed to make it through one of the trailers.

WTF were you doing going to see that. And don't say cinema pass. I've just got one and will watch practically anything.

But a line had to be drawn somewhere.

cartoon.online saves on shoe leather. Ran out of stuff to watch and this was on my, in event of emergency press play, list. Last two times I went to the cinema I fell asleep, better to snooze at home for free.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Yes, it ticked all the Oscar nomination boxes.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Trailers are so extensive now it saves you having to go and watch the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7URpWBNKE

Globalgunner
03-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Yes. Just saw it. Best marvel film since Deapool and Antman. Take the hankies along though if youre going to see it

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Watched Netflix film I don't feel at home in this world anymore. Clunky title and a film that seemed to lack any direction and just meandered along into a blood splattered mess.

Letters
06-03-2017, 07:50 AM
"I, Daniel Blake"

Real laugh a minute! Pretty good though.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-03-2017, 12:43 PM
"I, Daniel Blake"

Real laugh a minute! Pretty good though.

The latest edition in Misery Porn from Ken Loach who cares so much about working class poverty, of course he does...without it where would his career be?

GP
06-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Passengers

I like Jennifer Lawrence.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Passengers

I like Jennifer Lawrence.

Yes you do, and not without good reason I might add

Marc Overmars
07-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Next Indiana Jones film confirmed for 2019.

Hmm.

Letters
07-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Hmm is right. Leave it alone, will ya?!

GP
07-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Crystal Skull was the best of the bunch.

Never heard anyone who knows a thing about films say a bad word about it.

Letters
07-03-2017, 05:24 PM
:lol: I think they were getting away with it till the end when it all got a bit silly.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Next Indiana Jones film confirmed for 2019.

Hmm.

Harrison Ford?

I admire the fact he's still game i guess

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
:lol: I think they were getting away with it till the end when it all got a bit silly.

It only got silly at the end?

Did you miss the bit with escaping from a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge?

Xhaka Can’t
07-03-2017, 07:32 PM

I never knew you could do that!

I fuckin love my fridge.

Letters
07-03-2017, 07:57 PM

They were a long way away.

Fair enough
:getcoat:

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Was going to watch Florence Foster Jenkins, but then I saw Meryl Streep is in it. Considering I'm praying every day she dies of a painful cancer, I thought it might be unsuitable viewing.

Xhaka Can’t
07-03-2017, 11:41 PM
Was going to watch Florence Foster Jenkins, but then I saw Meryl Streep is in it. Considering I'm praying every day she dies of a painful cancer, I thought it might be unsuitable viewing.

That would be the shittiest Groundhog Day ever.

GP
12-03-2017, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2z857RSfhk

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-03-2017, 12:25 PM
In light of Wee Jimmi Krankee's press conference, i felt this thread would be appropriate to deliver a pertinent film quote

"The trouble with Scotland is, it's full of scots" - Edward the Longshanks - Braveheart

Niall_Quinn
17-03-2017, 11:48 PM
La La Land

11 mins 38 seconds.

Globalgunner
29-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Kong Skull island: Baddest Kong of all time. That chimp can really kick butt:bow::bow:

John Wick 2: Kill everyone in sight:bow:

2 excellent ways to forget your Wenger sorrows. I highly recommend

Letters
02-04-2017, 09:39 PM
"The Girl On The Train"

Very good. Surprisingly so, wasn't the chic-flick I was expecting (not sure why I was expecting that really).

"Beauty And The Beast"

Fine, but a bit pointless. More-or-less the same as the animated version so not sure what the point of it is. Well, to make money I guess.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 10:19 PM
All of Hollywood is shit. And I can prove it.

Just watched Rain Man again. Name one film in the last 20 years that comes within a thousand yards. Hollywood has gone to shit. Not a single good film released in years.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Rain Man is a work of pure genius. I'm totally blown away watching that, and I have seen it many times before.

GP
02-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Gladiator is quite good.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Gladiator is quite good.

How old is that?

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:13 PM
But true. It is. There are exceptions.

GP
02-04-2017, 11:14 PM
17 years? I think it came out in 2000

GP
02-04-2017, 11:15 PM
But I agree about Rain Man. Terrific film, terrific performance performance by Hoffman.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Looked it up, it was 2000. So 17 years. Not quite 20. But you know what I mean.

We live in a world where La La Land is considered good.

We urgently need to kill ourselves.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:16 PM
But I agree about Rain Man. Terrific film, terrific performance performance by Hoffman.

And Cruise. Love him or loathe him but he was outstanding in that film. The scene where he's arguing with the doctors. You have to have more than they teach you in drama school to pull that off.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm probably going to watch Gladiator now.

GP
02-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Cruise is a good actor, it's just a shame that he's mental.

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:24 PM
What a surprise that Gladiator can't be found on Netflix or Amazon.

Piracy then. What do you expect if this is all you can offer?

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:25 PM
https://cartoonhd.cc/full-movie/watch-gladiator-online-free

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2017, 11:25 PM
See you in 2 hours.

GP
02-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Gladiator? More like 3 hours.

GP
05-04-2017, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTBIQDPZt4

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-04-2017, 01:06 PM
https://youtu.be/i7gIpuIVE3k

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
https://youtu.be/5YUxij402x4

GP
14-04-2017, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

Thierrymon
29-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Get Out was excellent. Went in knowing nothing about it and was super impressed.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was ok. No where near as good as the first.

Letters
29-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was ok. No where near as good as the first.
Saw the trailer today. They're just cookie cutter movies.
:sleep:

GP
29-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Cookie Cutter 2 was okay but Cookie Cutter 3 was garbage.

Xhaka Can’t
30-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today and loved it.

The alternative would have been to watch the NLD.

Wenger out.

Letters
30-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Watched "Fantastic Beasts..." instead of the NLD.
I stand by that decision.

Niall_Quinn
30-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Hmmmm. I thought Beauty and the Beast was quite good. I guess I have become transgender.

Niall_Quinn
30-04-2017, 11:19 PM
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today and loved it.

The alternative would have been to watch the NLD.

Wenger out.

By "Wenger out", do you mean, GET THE FUCK OUT OF OUR CLUB AND DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOUR SORRY, INCOMPETENT ARSE ON THE WAY OUT! Or. Please sign another 2 year contract? Hard to tell. I'm assuming the latter.

Letters
01-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm. I thought Beauty and the Beast was quite good. I guess I have become transgender.

It's fine but I can't really see the point in it.
Doesn't add anything to the animated version.

GP
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
And Emma Watson is so bland.

Niall_Quinn
01-05-2017, 11:01 AM
And Emma Watson is so bland.

She did get out-acted by the dancing teapot, I guess.

Letters
01-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Prolly would though :shrug:

GP
01-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Meh. She's quite plain.

Marc Overmars
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I would, obvs.

But yeah she's ten a penny. Meh.

Xhaka Can’t
01-05-2017, 01:48 PM
My standards aren't as high as GP's

Globalgunner
01-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Is that your excuse for fancying Ann Widdecombe?

Globalgunner
04-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Has anyone seen the latest Fast and furious?. Is it worth 2 hrs of human time spent consuming expensive popcorn. I waited to watch no7 on T.V.

GP
04-05-2017, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen it but I assume it's the same as the last 7 and quite bad.

Letters
04-05-2017, 07:30 PM

He would :shrug:

She's not Mila Kunis, but I'd tap that #RichardKeyes

Xhaka Can’t
04-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Has anyone seen the latest Fast and furious?. Is it worth 2 hrs of human time spent consuming expensive popcorn. I waited to watch no7 on T.V.

I don't get why this is a thing.

Now if Ann was spread out on the bonnet....

Globalgunner
04-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Sometimes it's sheer peer pressure. I was dragged along by my daughter to watch Boss baby recently. I will confess to having not hated it.

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2017, 12:42 PM
I went with my son. It was alright. Thank Christ he has outgrown the fucking Chipmunks

GP
06-05-2017, 11:22 AM
I think we can all agree that it's time for Steve Guttenberg to make a comeback.

Letters
06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Stone Cutters :bow:

GP
08-05-2017, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

Globalgunner
11-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Yes. Ive done it. Watched both Fast 8 and Guardians 2.. All I can say is
Kurt Russell :bow: All he has to do is show up on a set and be himself. Acting not required.

Thierrymon
13-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Alien Covenant pretty disappointing tbh. It wasn't terrible though.

At least it is set up nicely for the sequel

GP
13-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Phantom Menace isn't that bad.