PDA

View Full Version : pc help

Flavs
28-06-2012, 10:03 AM
why wouldnt an EXE file run on my PC? There seems o be a lot of bollocks around registry issues but i am not mucking around with that, any ideas?

Me

Letters
28-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

Do you get an error message? If so, what?

Have a look in Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventvwr) and see if any errors get logged in there when you try to run it.

GP
28-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Possibly a virus.

PGFC
28-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Possibly a virus.

This :good:

what type of .exe file is it?

Coney
28-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Some programs, when run for the first time, want to set up some registry entries and need admin privilege to do it. On subsequent runs, the might not need to make further modifications - it depends on the program.

Try right-clicking on the exe and select 'Run as adminstrator' and see if it works then. Naturally, make sure you are happy with where you got it from - if some Nigerian Prince sent it, maybe don't do that.

Flavs
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Try right-clicking on the exe and select 'Run as adminstrator' and see if it works then.

how do i do that? I dont even get an option for that

Flavs
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
This :good:

what type of .exe file is it?

harsh editing reason, its football manager real time editor, just wont launch at all

LDG
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Have you given it a good wallop? Whack the top of the monitor. Usually works.

Xhaka Can’t
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I remember Mr B putting his in water.

Seemed to work until he was abducted by a religious cult.

fakeyank
01-07-2012, 06:07 PM

What Windows are you running? 98? :lol:

You can try hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL to see if for some reason there is already a process in the background with the exe filename.

Coney
01-07-2012, 07:54 PM

I presume you are on XP, Windows 7 or if you are really unlucky, Vista? If so, if you find the folder where the exe file is you should get a dropdown menu when you right click it, with 'Run as administrator' as one of the choices.

Coney
01-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Well, it's not like he was going to put it in a woman.

Flavs
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I presume you are on XP, Windows 7 or if you are really unlucky, Vista? If so, if you find the folder where the exe file is you should get a dropdown menu when you right click it, with 'Run as administrator' as one of the choices.

Thanks mate

Flavs
02-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Seemed to work until he was abducted by a religious cult.

Is that what we call getting married now?

Flavs
02-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Yeah so i checked and none of that happened, when i right click and then "run as" it just comes up with my user name? doesnt give me the option of an admin account at all

Flavs
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

Do you get an error message? If so, what?

Have a look in Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventvwr) and see if any errors get logged in there when you try to run it.

Did this as well but didnt understand what i was supposed to be looking at

Coney
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah so i checked and none of that happened, when i right click and then "run as" it just comes up with my user name? doesnt give me the option of an admin account at all

Are you running a home edition?

Flavs
02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Are you running a home edition?

yeah, sure...erm what?

Coney
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Windows XP Home Edition, Vista Home Edition or Windows 7 Home Edition?

Flavs
03-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Windows XP Home Edition, Vista Home Edition or Windows 7 Home Edition?

Yeah XP home edition

Coney
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah XP home edition

Oh dear. There is so much useful stuff missing from the home versions. I hate Microsoft for having removed loads of tools for marketing reasons. Apparently 'Run as Administrator' is one of them given what you say. Can't help you then. Blame Microsoft Marketing for being a bunch of total ****s.