PDA

View Full Version : Start Spreading The News...

Letters
16-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Off to NY next week for our anniversary.
Apart from the obvious things, what should we do there?
Any of you have been there and found some things off the beaten track which might be fun?

:popcorn:

LDG
16-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Roller skating in Central Park?

PGFC
16-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Try to make the immigration officials at the airport smile, they love that :good:

Oh, and go to Coney Island on the D train.

LDG
16-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Coney :lol:

Awfully old.

Letters
16-09-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoBBuzRlQlk

Yeah. Wouldn't mind going to Coney Island actually.

PGFC
16-09-2013, 10:37 AM
It's New York's Sarfend.

Letters
16-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh...

:ilt:

Maybe not then.

LDG
16-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Last time I went to Ny was when I was 14, so have no idea what it's like now.

Munchies
16-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Never been, but it sounds like a cool trip to do !

Have a good time :good:

GP
16-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Last time I went to Ny was when I was 14, so have no idea what it's like now.

they got the Empire State building now, you'd like it.

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Will you be over for a game?
If so, then there's the blind pig on 14th st, the factory on west 33rd, plus you can see TH in his retirement club.
Off the beaten track?
Doctor Who themed Burlesque?
Museum of Sex?
The Bodies exhibit?
Off Broadway and Off Off Broadway shows?
Haydn planetarium
Secrets of Grand Central

None are really off the beaten path though.

Marc Overmars
16-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Try catching a show on Broadway.

Get the ferry out to Staten Island as well.

Syn
16-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Try catching a show on Broadway.

Get the ferry out to Staten Island as well.

Reenact your favourite scene from coming to America.

LDG
16-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Your Royal penis is clean your highness :bow:

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 12:09 PM
... And turn around and go straight back !

(Re: Staten Island)
Note to self: reply with quote

Letters
16-09-2013, 12:10 PM
YES! YES! F*** YOU TOO!

Nayan
16-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Have a drink in the bar at grand central. Try not to re-enact any scene involving a pram falling down the steps and/or Kevin Costner though.

See central park for sure.

See Broadway

LDG
16-09-2013, 12:14 PM
If so, then there's the blind pig on 14th st, the factory on west 33rd, plus you can see TH in his retirement club.
Off the beaten track?
Museum of Sex?
The Bodies exhibit?Off Broadway and Off Off Broadway shows?
Haydn planetarium
Secrets of Grand Central

None are really off the beaten path though.

What's that!? :o

I really need to go back to NY again at some point.

Letters
16-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Arsenal are playing at 5:30pm on the 28th. 12:30 NY time, sounds like lunch at the Red Lion in Greenwich Village to me :cool:
Unfortunately (or fortunately for the same of my marriage) the Red Bulls are playing on my anniversary but it's an away game in Seattle.

:blink: <darlek voice>Ejaculate E-jac-u-late...</darlek voice>

Museum of Sex?
The Bodies exhibit?

Probably better to Google those at home!

Off Broadway and Off Off Broadway shows?

We're actually going to see a show while we're there:
http://www.possibilityjunkie.com/

Haydn planetarium
Secrets of Grand Central

Will investigate those.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I believe there are 2 towers that are quite famous, you'd be lucky to find them though...

:run:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 12:18 PM

While shouting Allah Akbar.

I think that would be a really good idea.

GP
16-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Go to ground zero and read passages from the Quran haha lol

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 03:04 PM
What's that!? :o

I really need to go back to NY again at some point.

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/newyork/

NVM... The NY exhibit been closed until further notice due to damage from Hurricane Sandy.
(There's also one in Las Vegas and in California)

But from their blurb page:

Since the earliest efforts of ancient Egyptians to distinguish individual organs, humankind has been fascinated with uncovering the secrets of the human body. The study of human anatomy remains a cornerstone of medical education. BODIES...The Exhibition provides millions of visitors around the world with unprecedented access to anatomical detail historically only available to medical professionals.

BODIES...The Exhibition offers an intimate and informative view into the human body. Using an innovative preservation process, the Exhibition allows visitors to see the human body's inner beauty in educational and awe-inspiring ways. Our Exhibitions have over 200 actual human bodies and specimens meticulously dissected and respectfully displayed, offering an unprecedented and wholly unique view into the amazing body.

Specimens in the Exhibition are prepared through a revolutionary process called polymer preservation, in which human tissue is permanently preserved using liquid silicone rubber. This process creates a specimen that will not decay, offering thousands of unique teaching possibilities for educators at all levels. Preparation time varies: a small organ may take only a week, while a full-body specimen may take up to a year to prepare. After quality preservation, specimens can last for decades.

Look deep inside the systems of the human body: Skeletal, muscular, nervous, respiratory, digestive, urinary, reproductive, endocrine, and circulatory. Come explore, experience, and celebrate the wonder of the human form at BODIES...The Exhibition.

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Letters;327346]Arsenal are playing at 5:30pm on the 28th. 12:30 NY time, sounds like lunch at the Red Lion in Greenwich Village to me :cool:
Unfortunately (or fortunately for the same of my marriage) the Red Bulls are playing on my anniversary but it's an away game in Seattle.

Again, I'll pitch "The Blind Pig" on 14th st. It's an Arsenal pub, home of the NYC Arsenal Supporters group. ( www.arsenal-nyc.com )

Özil's Panoramic View
16-09-2013, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Letters;327346]Arsenal are playing at 5:30pm on the 28th. 12:30 NY time, sounds like lunch at the Red Lion in Greenwich Village to me :cool:

Again, I'll pitch "The Blind Pig" on 14th st. It's an Arsenal pub, home of the NYC Arsenal Supporters group. ( www.arsenal-nyc.com )

where exactly on 14 street is this place? wouldn't mind going there a few weekends to watch our games.

LDG
16-09-2013, 03:17 PM
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/newyork/

NVM... The NY exhibit been closed until further notice due to damage from Hurricane Sandy.
(There's also one in Las Vegas and in California)

But from their blurb page:

Since the earliest efforts of ancient Egyptians to distinguish individual organs, humankind has been fascinated with uncovering the secrets of the human body. The study of human anatomy remains a cornerstone of medical education. BODIES...The Exhibition provides millions of visitors around the world with unprecedented access to anatomical detail historically only available to medical professionals.

BODIES...The Exhibition offers an intimate and informative view into the human body. Using an innovative preservation process, the Exhibition allows visitors to see the human body's inner beauty in educational and awe-inspiring ways. Our Exhibitions have over 200 actual human bodies and specimens meticulously dissected and respectfully displayed, offering an unprecedented and wholly unique view into the amazing body.

Specimens in the Exhibition are prepared through a revolutionary process called polymer preservation, in which human tissue is permanently preserved using liquid silicone rubber. This process creates a specimen that will not decay, offering thousands of unique teaching possibilities for educators at all levels. Preparation time varies: a small organ may take only a week, while a full-body specimen may take up to a year to prepare. After quality preservation, specimens can last for decades.

Look deep inside the systems of the human body: Skeletal, muscular, nervous, respiratory, digestive, urinary, reproductive, endocrine, and circulatory. Come explore, experience, and celebrate the wonder of the human form at BODIES...The Exhibition.

Not for the squeamish then! :lol:

Letters
16-09-2013, 03:18 PM
GW MEET IN NY :patrice:

(MrsL is going to KILL me...)

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2013, 03:21 PM
GW MEET IN NY :patrice:

(MrsL is going to KILL me...)

Free ticket to the Dortmund game!!!!! :woohoo:

Letters
16-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Free ticket to the Dortmund game!!!!! :woohoo:

:lol: Everyone wins!

Oh :(

Munchies
16-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Is FakeYank invited ? :unsure:

Letters
16-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I did invite him but he's rudely living in a different city <_<

I did email Jens' about it ages ago and he was up for a meetup. Will email him again to see if he's around.

See y'all at the Blind Pig. I'll be signing autographs for those of you in awe of my IIP. :cool:

Özil's Panoramic View
16-09-2013, 03:58 PM

I did email Jens' about it ages ago and he was up for a meetup. Will email him again to see if he's around.

See y'all at the Blind Pig. I'll be signing autographs for those of you in awe of my IIP. :cool:

Blind Pig it is.....

just little bit link up time/date now and all should be in the clear.

LDG
16-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I can't make it I'm afraid.

I'm at my cousins wedding.

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 04:06 PM

PM me. I'm likely to be at that one.

Letters
16-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I really better try and square this with MrsL first.
She might opt to do something else for a few hours I guess and I can come out to play and meet her later.
Man, I'm gonna be in trouble :lol:

Marc Overmars
16-09-2013, 04:22 PM
"Happy anniversary babe, I'm off to meet one of the lads now. Laters"

GP
16-09-2013, 04:24 PM
"Happy anniversary babe, I'm off to meet one of the lads now. Laters"

:haha:

Letters :doh:

Letters
16-09-2013, 04:25 PM
:d To be fair the game is on the 28th and our anniversary is on the 29th so I'll probably get away with it.
She can go to Macy's or something. That would make me :ilt: as much as watching Arsenal would make her.

GP
16-09-2013, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjVpgLkeFg

MissHandbag
16-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Haha yeah. Do this please Letters

fakeyank
16-09-2013, 05:25 PM

I am in NYC right now. Just landed a few hours back for my conference. I'll be here till Friday :(

I remember when I used to live in NYC, we'd all go to Nevada Smiths for the games... so Blind Pig is the new spot? I met Jens Face at Nevada Smiths too. We didnt win that game either! It was a 1-1 draw away to Sunderland.. :lol:
I have canceled all my meetings for wednesday afternoon for our game this week, so if any of you negros are at the blind pig, lemme know... we can do another GW meet and make sure we dont win! :run:

Letters, enjoy your anniversary.. other than the usual spots in NYC, I really cant recommend anything different to you than clubs and bars (of which I have frequented almost everyone). Tbh, you chose the worst city in USA for your anniversary.. if you'd have chosen a real American city like Chicago, I'd have told you many more awesome things to do! :p

Nayan
16-09-2013, 07:53 PM
jaywalk across 5th avenue, pausing only to hold up a yellow cab, slap your hand down on the bonnet and yell 'hey ahm walkin' here!'

Özil's Panoramic View
16-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I am in NYC right now. Just landed a few hours back for my conference. I'll be here till Friday :(

I remember when I used to live in NYC, we'd all go to Nevada Smiths for the games... so Blind Pig is the new spot? I met Jens Face at Nevada Smiths too. We didnt win that game either! It was a 1-1 draw away to Sunderland.. :lol:
I have canceled all my meetings for wednesday afternoon for our game this week, so if any of you negros are at the blind pig, lemme know... we can do another GW meet and make sure we dont win! :run:

Letters, enjoy your anniversary.. other than the usual spots in NYC, I really cant recommend anything different to you than clubs and bars (of which I have frequented almost everyone). Tbh, you chose the worst city in USA for your anniversary.. if you'd have chosen a real American city like Chicago, I'd have told you many more awesome things to do! :p

I'm like 45 minutes away via 4 or 5 train.

I have 1st round.

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll be more than 3,000 miles away so doubt I can make it. Plus I'm on the no fly list.

Munchies
16-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Plus I'm on the no fly list.

:unsure:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
:unsure:

Put a black scarf around his head and started shouting allah akbar at the top of his voice.

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Hunh? Sounds like you're the unlucky charm, like I am with the NY Yankees. Every time I've been to Yankee stadium, they've lost by a minimum of 10 runs.

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Hunh? Sounds like you're the unlucky charm, like I am with the NY Yankees. Every time I've been to Yankee stadium, they've lost by a minimum of 10 runs.

Can you please go 81 times next season?

While you're at it, take in a few Red Sox games.

Letters
16-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Tbh, you chose the worst city in USA for your anniversary.. if you'd have chosen a real American city like Chicago, I'd have told you many more awesome things to do! :p
"Chicago was started by some New Yorkers who thought to themselves 'I'm enjoying the crime and poverty but it just isn't cold enough"
- Some comedian.

Chicago :lol:
Awful city.

Told MrsL about my plans to watch the game.
Doghouse, tbh...

:getcoat:

Xhaka Can’t
17-09-2013, 06:44 AM
"Chicago was started by some New Yorkers who thought to themselves 'I'm enjoying the crime and poverty but it just isn't cold enough"
- Some comedian.

Chicago :lol:
Awful city.

Told MrsL about my plans to watch the game.
Doghouse, tbh...

:getcoat:

She'll get over it. I went to a pub to watch France v Ireland on my honeymoon, and it rarely gets a mention these days.

Letters
17-09-2013, 07:05 AM
By 'rarely' do you mean.
Every.
Single.
Day?

Xhaka Can’t
17-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Well, not EVERY day.

Letters
17-09-2013, 08:40 AM
:lol: Meh. It is OUR anniversary and OUR holiday, not hers.
So. Frankly. :p to her :sulk:

Flavs
17-09-2013, 12:01 PM
hey if its any help don't bother with the empire state building and instead do the "top of the roc" instead, cheaper, faster and a better view IMO.

LDG
17-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Falvs! :o

:faint:

Flavs
17-09-2013, 12:03 PM
what?

LDG
17-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Nothing.

Carry on.

:hug:

Flavs
17-09-2013, 12:12 PM
oh, ok thanks

Letters
17-09-2013, 12:14 PM
hey if its any help don't bother with the empire state building and instead do the "top of the roc" instead, cheaper, faster and a better view IMO.
Yeah. I've heard that before but I think MrsL will insist on doing it just 'cos...well, you know. It is the Empire State Building :shrug:

Hello btw :tiphat:

Flavs
17-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Under the thumb dude....that's all i am saying...

Nayan
17-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah. I've heard that before but I think MrsL will insist on doing it just 'cos...well, you know. It is the Empire State Building :shrug:

Hello btw :tiphat:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QC_KukHxIsY/R-NEqNZy8dI/AAAAAAAAACY/-nnEoIs_prw/s320/large_080311_cammuso.jpg

Munchies
22-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Bump, how's your preprations going for the trip ?

Letters
22-09-2013, 02:27 PM
OK thanks. Booked some stuff, have a load of things to print out and then I'm pretty much done.
Apart from packing but that won't take long.

Will be nice to meet some NY Gooners

Transplanted Gooner
22-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Btw, plan on being at the pub an hour before kickoff.
Especially as this is a midday kickoff in New York.
I'll see you there. I'll be the one in the Arsenal kit.

Letters
22-09-2013, 02:48 PM
:lol: Yeah. I'm in enough trouble with the boss for wanting to go at all, I don't think I'll get there too much before kick off.

MissHandbag
29-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Well a little late but a very happy anniversary to you and Abi honey xx

Letters
29-09-2013, 05:35 PM

MissHandbag
30-09-2013, 08:10 AM

x a year's gone so quickly!

LDG
30-09-2013, 08:59 AM
x a year's gone so quickly!

Yeah. I can't remember much of Rich's wedding bash.

MissHandbag
30-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah. I can't remember much of Rich's wedding bash.

I remember you in your pin striped suit rocking those YMCA moves

Letters
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Posted a picture of the NY GW meetup in the V&I section.

:dance: