PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Newcastle (away).

McNamara That Ghost...
29-12-2013, 03:23 PM
An absolute scrotefest of a match from us but we're getting really good at that.

Top of the league. :scarf:

GP
29-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Love it.

Letters
29-12-2013, 03:24 PM
:sick:

Urgh.

But

:patrice:

IBK
29-12-2013, 03:25 PM
That 3 points impresses me.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-12-2013, 03:26 PM
FINISHING 2013 TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!

McNamara That Ghost...
Seven away wins. :o

Newguy
Not sure why Podolski didn't see any minutes after a goal and an assist coming off they bench against west ham but what do I know... Jenkinson coming on for Theo was madness but we got the 3 points

WMUG
Watching that in a pub in Newcastle was scary in more ways than one.

Heisenberg
Kept nervously checking the score despite telling myself not to! Relieved and happy with three points :)

milla
29-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Great win, scoffed it to the last kick of the game. Bring it on!! :scarf:

Master Splinter
29-12-2013, 03:27 PM
A hard-fought away win against an in-form team in the middle of a gruelling run of fixtures? Great result.

Defence was good (apart from Szczesny being stupid again).

Most others had poor games, but they all worked hard to ensure the win

Arsenal :bow:.

Jenkinson deserves a big :doh: for the dumbest individual moment of the season though.

Ollie the Optimist
29-12-2013, 03:28 PM
great win. best win of the season that, really fought for the 3 points and will be top of the league at the start of 2014.

Zimm, whats your excuse as to why thats a poor result?

Özim
29-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Poor performance but a great much needed 3 points.

Marc Overmars
29-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Pub team wins. :bow:

Far from vintage but we held strong defensively. Our attacking play was a bit shit but thankfully Theo and Bif produced one decent moment together.

An excellent 3 points.

Come on you Gunners!

Ollie the Optimist
29-12-2013, 03:30 PM
good to see the leagues best midfielder cabaye finish on the winning side

milla
29-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Jenkinson :doh:

Polish goal keeper :doh:

Özim
29-12-2013, 03:31 PM
great win. best win of the season that, really fought for the 3 points and will be top of the league at the start of 2014.

Zimm, whats your excuse as to why thats a poor result?

We should have settled for a draw though right, since they were the leagues form team?

Marc Overmars
Jenkinson for not taking the throw when Bendtner was screaming for it. :doh:

What a dick.

RomfordPele
Great win, away from home, carrying injuries and at the end of an atrocious run of fixtures. Not pretty but incredibly satisfying and deserved a lot more credit than the media have given us.

Koscielny and mertesacker were immense (again), as we flamini.

We still need a striker though. Hope wenger has learnt from 2007/08. I'm worried he hasn't though...

Power n Glory
A hard-fought away win against an in-form team in the middle of a gruelling run of fixtures? Great result.

Defence was good (apart from Szczesny being stupid again).

Most others had poor games, but they all worked hard to ensure the win

Arsenal :bow:.

Jenkinson deserves a big :doh: for the dumbest individual moment of the season though.

Someone needs to slap Jenkinson for that. Slow fool.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Fucking get in!

There were some baffaling decisions (Theo off and moving Flamini to LB??) but who gives a fuck? We've got three points at a tricky away fixture without two of our best players!! If that's not a cause for a celebration I don't know what is.

milla
29-12-2013, 03:33 PM
We still need a striker though. Hope wenger has learnt from 2007/08. I'm worried he hasn't though...

We got Sanogo coming back from injury, no worries. :coffee:

GP
29-12-2013, 03:35 PM

What a dick.

He didn't take it BECAUSE it was Bendtner that was screaming for it.

He's too smart for that shit.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-12-2013, 03:35 PM

:haha: :haha:

Ollie the Optimist
29-12-2013, 03:36 PM
so we have no played everyone once. its the halfway point in the league season and we are top.

you cannot ask for more then that. Up the Arsenal

Özim
29-12-2013, 03:36 PM

What a dick.

He was almost as slow as Wilshere was all match :lol:

Burley Gooner
29-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Good win in the end!

Merts, Kozza and Rosicky did really well today. Wilshere needs to step up and be counted. Gibbs really needs to sort out his positional play and stop passing the ball backwards.

Marc Overmars
29-12-2013, 03:40 PM
One of these days Chesney's casual clearances are going to cost us.

Gooner23
29-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Jenks is such a nervy player at the best of times, bringing him on to protect a tight lead does no one any favours. We just invited Newcastle to bombard us.

Great result though, Sagna, Mert and Kos were all immense.

The ref was a complete cock, but over the course of 90 mins his bad decisions evened out for both sides.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Tbf to Jenks his first thought was timewasting from the throw in so he wasn't focused on Bendtner. I've seen some of the British lads joke about it in interviews but he's not meant to be the sharpest tool in the box either.

Looking back on it you can only just laugh at the whole incident :lol:. Mind you, if they had equalised I'd be absoutely livid about it right now.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 03:47 PM
The ref was a complete cock, but over the course of 90 mins his bad decisions evened out for both sides.

Really? I thought he was quite decent, especially compared to the actual dickweeds like Anthony Taylor and Mike Dean who we had against Villa and Chelsea respectively.

Kos was decent but he played a couple of shit passes which nearly cost us.

BFG once again was MoTM. Fucking immense. So was Rosicky, never stopped running all game. Fucking give him a three year contract Wenger!

LDG
29-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Superb result.

Our passing was possibly the worst I've seen it in years. Just couldn't keep hold of the ball at all.

How the fuck does Tiote get away with it btw?!? :lol:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Fucking get in!

There were some baffaling decisions (Theo off and moving Flamini to LB??) but who gives a fuck? We've got three points at a tricky away fixture without two of our best players!! If that's not a cause for a celebration I don't know what is.

Moving to a back 5 was a brilliant decision. Added security to our lead.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Moving to a back 5 was a brilliant decision. Added security to our lead.

I don't disagree with moving to a back five per say, I just think taking of Theo instead of someone like Jack or Rosicky was the wrong decision. With Theo on the pitch and Newcastle playing a suicidily high line at the end, they were prime for the counter. Plus it would have naturally forced them a bit further back, as it was we were literally just inviting pressure for the last ten minutes and thankfully we managed to hold out.

Moving Flamini to LB was also weird, the guy hasn't played there for years and it showed today. Was Gibbs injured or something?

JonasTC
29-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Played like shit, still wins 1-0. Stuff of champions :bow:

Jenks :doh:

Szczesny :doh:

Giroud :doh:

Arsenal 3 yellow, Newcastle 0.... I really hope Wenger is right about him thinking, in the end ref decisions will always even out. We will be winning the rest of our games on offside goals and wrongfully given penalties :clap:

fakeyank
29-12-2013, 04:17 PM
:yippee:

Szcesny needs a whack around his head. Giroud's miss was so bad, watching the replay made my asshole tighten up.

Sagna needs to be signed up to a 10 year contract right fucking now. Per and Kos were phenomenal as usual. Wilshere was horrible and so was Flamini.

selassie
29-12-2013, 04:42 PM
That was a massive 3 points, didn't play well but ground out a 1-0 win.

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Glad to see Giroud scoring again, that should give him some much needed confidence, and playin the second half whilst clearly in pain.

Proper trooper :good:

Wont get the credit he deserves on here though but still

Master Splinter
29-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Hard to disagree.

We got 99 problems but Bif ain't one.

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Hard to disagree.

We got 99 problems but Bif ain't one.

:lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-12-2013, 07:13 PM

I do like Giroud but infuriates me so much his failure to convert chances, not so much today (although he really should have scored again after Walcott's effort was cleared off the line) but in the last three premiership matches he has missed a hatful of chances and you can't afford to do that at this level.

Was never going to be easy today, I do love how Pardew has never got a win over us as Newcastle Manager....but they are a good side....Tiote and Anita were in our faces from the first minute.....they have beaten Chelsea, United...got a draw against Liverpool despite playing most of the game with ten men....definitely our best away win of the season in the league.

Penguin
29-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I only watched the first 40 minutes but it sounds like the rest of the game was more of the same. But the result is all that matters in tricky away games like this and another win is vital for our confidence.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 07:27 PM
http://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p235x350/1483282_658173827559779_89338245_n.jpg

Dressing room picture after today's game, posted by BFG on his Facebook

Rosicky ##

Sign him up Wenger ##

Özim
29-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I do like Giroud but infuriates me so much his failure to convert chances, not so much today (although he really should have scored again after Walcott's effort was cleared off the line) but in the last three premiership matches he has missed a hatful of chances and you can't afford to do that at this level.

Was never going to be easy today, I do love how Pardew has never got a win over us as Newcastle Manager....but they are a good side....Tiote and Anita were in our faces from the first minute.....they have beaten Chelsea, United...got a draw against Liverpool despite playing most of the game with ten men....definitely our best away win of the season in the league.

He's not good enough for a team with ambitions of winning the league IMO, he scored today but it would have been harder to miss and then he went on the miss an absolute sitter, by passing across goals rather than shooting at it.

He's done OK this season, but he won't score enough goals and in reality has offered little or no threat in the last few games, striker is a must in January if we're serious about the league, could use a genuine wide man too if we can find one.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-12-2013, 07:31 PM
He's not good enough for a team with ambitions of winning the league IMO, he scored today but it would have been harder to miss and then he went on the miss an absolute sitter, by passing across goals rather than shooting at it.

He's done OK this season, but he won't score enough goals and in reality has offered little or no threat in the last few games, striker is a must in January if we're serious about the league, could use a genuine wide man too if we can find one.

Usually I'd agree with this. I can't recall the last PL winning team who didn't have a world class striker up front: Drogba, Henry, Rooney, RVN, RVP, Rooney/Ronaldo, Shearer etc etc.

However records and standards are there to be broken. Bayern won the treble last season and they had Mandzukic up front, who despite being a good player who I rate, isn't someone I'd put in the world class bracket. It can be done.

Syn
29-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Top top top quality result. Very tough game to play especially missing Ozil and Ramsey. Newcastle will (and already have) take points off good teams this season.

Özim
29-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Usually I'd agree with this. I can't recall the last PL winning team who didn't have a world class striker up front: Drogba, Henry, Rooney, RVN, RVP, Rooney/Ronaldo, Shearer etc etc.

However records and standards are there to be broken. Bayern won the treble last season and they had Mandzukic up front, who despite being a good player who I rate, isn't someone I'd put in the world class bracket. It can be done.

True but Bayern have Ribery and Robben two of the best players around, they also had a number of other players who scored 10 or so goals and Mueller as well who scored 23 goals, they have threats all over the pitch.

Power n Glory
29-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I doubt that goal will restore Giroud's confidence. It was a great free kick. He'll still be thinking about that chance he messed up.

Niall_Quinn
29-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Top of the league for the new year. Hard to argue with that, much improved performance so far this season.

Letters
29-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Uncharacteristically, I agree with Zimm.
I like Giroud but he's not at the level of a striker who I can see leading the line in a title winning side.,

GP
29-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I like Giroud but he's not at the level of a striker who I can see leading the line in a title winning side.,

He's lead the line in a side that has us top at the half-way stage.

Besides, he's integral to our shape and the way we set up. He's done well.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Definitely not, good squad player but not good enough to be leading the line out for us game in game out....i certainly want to see more of Podolski who i think is a much more clinical finisher than Giroud as evidenced by thursday's game at West Ham.
A striker in January is a must even if it's a loan signing

Letters
29-12-2013, 08:35 PM

He started well but has tailed off, somewhat

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/olivier-giroud/leistungsdaten/spieler_82442.html#GB1

All strikers have dips here and there but he needs to get going again. The goal vs Spurs shows he can get the odd goal in a tight game (Spurs defence was notoriously mean at the start of the season and that was a great goal), he needs to do it more consistently.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Also does anyone know when Ramsey and Ozil are back....Cazorla needs to be dropped he's just not playing well...problem is like all our midfielders he operates best from the centre and not being stuck wide left and he stinks at it.

Letters
29-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Addendum: IMO the Chelsea game showed where he's not good enough. He had 1 really good chance and put it wide. I accept that will happen to any striker but really world class ones will get you that goal in a game like that where chances are few and far between. Like I said, he did it against Spurs so he can do it but not consistently enough.

Syn
29-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Think his form will pick up again now that at least one of Podolski and Walcott should be around. He can only do good things where he takes one touch. With a few runners around him he can link up better.

That said he was also playing very well without Podolski and Walcott, and the team record shows that. With a bit of tiredness creeping in, the introduction of good goalscorers around him can only help him.

Power n Glory
29-12-2013, 08:46 PM
He's no good on the wing (Cazorla) and thought he looked best when moving towards the middle to link up with Rosicky. Wilshere was bad also. He wasn't playing at the right tempo a all game. Wenger may need to tinker with the side a little.

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2013, 09:44 PM

This.

Amazingly though (or not) it's a fact that has passed most GW's by.

Nothing wrong with Giroud, he's just dropped in form but he'll pick it up again soon.
No one will be comlianing when he's scoring again.

Ollie the Optimist
29-12-2013, 09:48 PM
No one will be comlianing when he's scoring again.

people are complaining when we are top of the league. they will be complaining even if he scores a hatrick every game. are you new here?

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Addendum: IMO the Chelsea game showed where he's not good enough. He had 1 really good chance and put it wide. I accept that will happen to any striker but really world class ones will get you that goal in a game like that where chances are few and far between. Like I said, he did it against Spurs so he can do it but not consistently enough.it was by no means an easy chance though.

For a start he had to hit it on the bounce, normally yes, a top striker would have hit square and to the left of cech, but he also had to hold off a defender and, the main factor, the conditions were atrocious.

Stupidly high winds and the rain probably contributed to him not striking the ball square on.

I guarantee if he was setup like that again in good weather he would have scored.

Normally I would agree with you to some extent but on this occasion you have to say that the conditions are very likely to have played some part in that miss.

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2013, 09:56 PM
people are complaining when we are top of the league. they will be complaining even if he scores a hatrick every game. are you new here?
Yeh that's true Ollie.

Sigh, I give up tbh :ilt:

BOBN
29-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Too bad every single side in the league has lost this season.

You would have had a cracking point.

BOBN
30-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Tbf to Jenks his first thought was timewasting from the throw in so he wasn't focused on Bendtner. I've seen some of the British lads joke about it in interviews but he's not meant to be the sharpest tool in the box either.

Looking back on it you can only just laugh at the whole incident :lol:. Mind you, if they had equalised I'd be absoutely livid about it right now.

The board are having the last laugh. You can asset strip as flagrantly as you like, as long as you replace with an "Arsenal fan". Everybody turns a blind eye then.

Worst right back in the league bar none.

JonasTC
30-12-2013, 06:38 AM
So apperently Pardew thinks the ref was giving Arsenal to much and that he was the reason that things didnt went their way, which ended up with 3 points for Arsenal.... :doh:

He should shut his mouth and be happy that we werent sharper and pray to the corrupt ref-god and say thx for letting tiote stay on the field.

AFC Leveller
30-12-2013, 07:14 AM
As pubby as they get but i have to say it was an impressive "champions like" win. Newcastle were on fire and had beaten some big teams as well as Spurs so we've done well. Our organisation and tactical play starved them of any real chances and apart from a couple of Ben Afri efforts, we managed to contain them.

Well done lads.

Dein-machine
30-12-2013, 03:28 PM
This game & the lack of opportunities created in recent games only proves that we have lost the confidence that the team had going into the Man Utd game. Another quality buy in Jan is a must, we need a quality striker & it will give the team another Ozil like lift. We can see the negativity that Wumger is bringing on this team rather than have confidence in your team to go & get a 2nd goal to put the game to bed. Did we ever use take Wrighty or Titi off when we went 1-0 up. If your going to take a forward off in a game like yesterdays, take off Giroud & leave Walcott up top against tired legs. Bringing on Bentdner is the same as having a tired Giroud on the pitch.
Wonderful for this team to be top going into the New Year but Wumger needs to want to kill off teams like City are doing rather than start defending 1-0 leads by going 5 at the back.

GP
30-12-2013, 03:39 PM
http://replygif.net/i/100.gif

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Before the game I thought a point was a bad result so I am delighted we got all 3 without being at our best (which we haven't been at for some time anyway). I get that Newcastle have beaten a few sides but I think that whether a result is good or not is more dependent on the need to get a certain result, imo.

Anything but a win meant not being top(which is the ultimate aim at any given point) so for me, it was almost always going to be bad to draw on that alone. You could see towards the end of the game. I have seldom seen a player more desperate to win than I did in Rosicky's eyes at the end. I was truly proud and impressed by his attitude. He could see the ball continually coming back to our end so he made sure he closed down their back 4 and goalkeeper, almost on his own as Giroud couldn't be arsed by that point. He almost had to drag Giroud with him by the shirt to help him. I think that was the main reason Giroud went off in the end. Not so much because he was no longer a threat but because he had lost the legs to defend from the front.

Jenkinson's moment of madness was astonishing and he really should be pulled aside for it behind the scenes, although I am reluctant to hammer him as it wasn't costly. Neither was the Pole in the goal's attempt at knocking out the opposition striker by firing it as hard as he could at his head fortunately. It is becoming a rather effective tactic. Remy didn't know whether he was still in the French league or in the playground at school in a game of no consequence after he got up.

Obviously Pardew and a few of his lot are desperate to beat us. His goalkeeper Krul came out of his area twice like it was the world cup final to try and stick it to us. Amazing stuff......really should have made him pay for it.....but see above!

Giroud has rightly been credited for most of what he has done to this point in the season and I am really glad the crowd at games really get behind him which is wonderfully vocal from tv 99% of the time...... That is in spite of most probably feeling we need better options than him. Nothing will be going his way and in the background all you can hear is 'Commme onnn Girooooouuuuudd'. We get a lot a stick at times but we should be credited for that.

He has been very effective but I would argue we have been top in spite of our lack of options in forward positions rather than because of them. The second half the season is likely to be trickier than the first. Traditionally United finish well and ironically so do David Moyes teams. They have been languishing in mid table/bottom half before coming back to finish 5th before and you can barely see where City will drop a point. We really need to have the mentality of not slipping up anywhere and if it is to be this tight, the edge that a top froward would bring is crucial.

Mertesacker was immense too. UP the ARSENAL!!! :d

Power n Glory
30-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Before the game I thought a point was a bad result so I am delighted we got all 3 without being at our best (which we haven't been at for some time anyway). I get that Newcastle have beaten a few sides but I think that whether a result is good or not is more dependent on the need to get a certain result, imo.

Anything but a win meant not being top(which is the ultimate aim at any given point) so for me, it was almost always going to be bad to draw on that alone. You could see towards the end of the game. I have seldom seen a player more desperate to win than I did in Rosicky's eyes at the end. I was truly proud and impressed by his attitude. He could see the ball continually coming back to our end so he made sure he closed down their back 4 and goalkeeper, almost on his own as Giroud couldn't be arsed by that point. He almost had to drag Giroud with him by the shirt to help him. I think that was the main reason Giroud went off in the end. Not so much because he was no longer a threat but because he had lost the legs to defend from the front.

Jenkinson's moment of madness was astonishing and he really should be pulled aside for it behind the scenes, although I am reluctant to hammer him as it wasn't costly. Neither was the Pole in the goal's attempt at knocking out the opposition striker by firing it as hard as he could at his head fortunately. It is becoming a rather effective tactic. Remy didn't know whether he was still in the French league or in the playground at school in a game of no consequence after he got up.

Obviously Pardew and a few of his lot are desperate to beat us. His goalkeeper Krul came out of his area twice like it was the world cup final to try and stick it to us. Amazing stuff......really should have made him pay for it.....but see above!

Giroud has rightly been credited for most of what he has done to this point in the season and I am really glad the crowd at games really get behind him which is wonderfully vocal from tv 99% of the time...... That is in spite of most probably feeling we need better options than him. Nothing will be going his way and in the background all you can hear is 'Commme onnn Girooooouuuuudd'. We get a lot a stick at times but we should be credited for that.

He has been very effective but I would argue we have been top in spite of our lack of options in forward positions rather than because of them. The second half the season is likely to be trickier than the first. Traditionally United finish well and ironically so do David Moyes teams. They have been languishing in mid table/bottom half before coming back to finish 5th before and you can barely see where City will drop a point. We really need to have the mentality of not slipping up anywhere and if it is to be this tight, the edge that a top froward would bring is crucial.

Mertesacker was immense too. UP the ARSENAL!!! :d

:gp:

Rosicky is just pure class. He gives everything when defending and is so smart with his ball distribution. Jack, Ramsey and all the young players should be look to emulate his style of play. He knows his options before he receives a pass, hustles hard to receive the ball or to win it back and is always on his toes. Turns defence into attack with a quick turn.

It will be trickier from here on and Wenger needs to keep an eye on the way his subs change a game. After that game, you can understand why Wenger didn't make a change against Chelsea. Taking off Theo just flipped the game on its head and invited pressure. They'd never have pushed that far forward if he was on. They'd have been punished if they were that foolish. Besides reinforcements, we need to get that right. Almost had a meltdown in the last 10 mins of that game. But it's encouraging to see we can hold on to 1-0 leads. We need to keep it up but we should be able to defend with the ball and just kill the game by holding possession.

fakeyank
30-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Not been one of Rosicky's biggest fans since he joined the club (because of his injuries) but one thing he does constantly is give his best. I completely agree that he was immense in the last few minutes closing down Newcastle in their own half in the last few minutes. It was absolute madness for Vinegar to take off Theo and not Giroud!

Oh well, we ended up winning, so :scarf:

Özim
30-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I agree Rosicky is a little tiger in midfield, I love to watch him putting himself about, he's more than just a creative player.

Letters
30-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Slightly frustrated that in the last 10 minutes we invited the pressure, we made defensive substitutions and when we did get the ball back we didn't seem to be able to keep any possession which is generally something we're good at. It was a bit like the last 10 minutes of the Spurs game - attack vs defence. Both times we held out, we are getting good at that. It's not much fun to watch though!

Özil's Panoramic View
30-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't get why people are coming down so hard on Jenkinson. Especially as it's common place for players to try and rundown the clock when leading at that stage of the game. It was a bit 1st instinct and no one would have been so up on arms if the old tub of lard wasn't there having a fit because Jenkinson wasn't aware he was a bit high up the pitch.

Furthermore, I could only see the useless oaf immediately losing possession, thereby putting us back under pressure if Jenkinson had unfortunately sighted him and made the quick throw in.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 06:48 PM
He should have absolutely chucked it up to him. There was a potential 1 vs 1 with the keeper. Even if only to try to throw it as hard as he could at Bendtner's head to knock him out and divert the ball into their goal....... Bendtner is still a professional footballer. If he can't pose a reasonable threat from a position like that, don't even put him in the reserves. Just get him making the tea.

I have no time for the Dane and would rather he weren't on the bench at all...but if Wenger's going to play him and he is open, give him the ball. If Jenkinson had sipped past 2 players in open play down the wing, spotted Bendtner unmarked with just the keeper to beat and decided to pass it down field to somebody else, we probably would have been even more pissed and yet the actual scenario that played out was almost as bad as that.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Jenkinson did completely the right thing.

Wasting time in the 93rd minute was sensible.

GP
30-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't get why people are coming down so hard on Jenkinson. Especially as it's common place for players to try and rundown the clock when leading at that stage of the game. It was a bit 1st instinct and no one would have been so up on arms if the old tub of lard wasn't there having a fit because Jenkinson wasn't aware he was a bit high up the pitch.

Furthermore, I could only see the useless oaf immediately losing possession, thereby putting us back under pressure if Jenkinson had unfortunately sighted him and made the quick throw in.

Absolutely. There was nothing to gain by playing it quickly, and everything to lose.

100% right.

Özim
30-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Yeah of course nothing to gain by scoring a 2nd goal :lol:

Power n Glory
30-12-2013, 07:06 PM
He should have absolutely chucked it up to him. There was a potential 1 vs 1 with the keeper. Even if only to try to throw it as hard as he could at Bendtner's head to knock him out and divert the ball into their goal....... Bendtner is still a professional footballer. If he can't pose a reasonable threat from a position like that, don't even put him in the reserves. Just get him making the tea.

I have no time for the Dane and would rather he weren't on the bench at all...but if Wenger's going to play him and he is open, give him the ball. If Jenkinson had sipped past 2 players in open play down the wing, spotted Bendtner unmarked with just the keeper to beat and decided to pass it down field to somebody else, we probably would have been even more pissed and yet the actual scenario that played out was almost as bad as that.

:gp: Just imagine if we'd have conceded after that moment. Just for the sake of wasting a few seconds. It wasn't smart. He should have passed it to Bendy and even if he didn't score and a defender got back to him, we could have won a corner and wasted time up in their half. Luckily it didn't cost us.

Özil's Panoramic View
30-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm sure he would have thrown it in instantly were he aware Bendy was there and might have had little bit opportunity to do something productive. But I suspect it was more an issue of 1st instinct to run down the clock and by the time he became alert, Bendtner was no longer in an advantageous position. Therefore, I don't think the criticism can fly that he intentionally refused to throw in the ball to the Danish lump.

I could be wrong, but Jenkinson seems humble enough a lad for me to think he wouldn't pull such a a slight against a fellow teammate.

GP
30-12-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm sure he would have thrown it in instantly were he aware Bendy was there and might have had little bit opportunity to do something productive. But I suspect it was more an issue of 1st instinct to run down the clock and by the time he became alert, Bendtner was no longer in an advantageous position. Therefore, I don't think the criticism can fly that he intentionally refused to throw in the ball to the Danish lump.

I could be wrong, but Jenkinson seems humble enough a lad for me to think he wouldn't pull such a a slight against a fellow teammate.

Of course, it was just instinct to run down the clock. Considering we were under a bit of pressure at the time, he was absolutely right to do that.

Penguin
30-12-2013, 07:18 PM
http://arsenalist.com/f/newcastle-vs-arsenal/bendtner-begs-for-ball-jenkinson-gives-zero-fucks.htmlhttp://i.minus.com/idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif
:haha:

Power n Glory
30-12-2013, 07:18 PM

That I can understand. He wasn't aware and had this clueless look on his face. :lol: I don't think it was intentional either. He was just napping which is a mistake. It wasn't the right decision. If Bendy had done the same thing Carl did it would have been interpreted in a completely different way. The old 'he doesn't care' taunts would be thrown out.

Özil's Panoramic View
30-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Of course, it was just instinct to run down the clock. Considering we were under a bit of pressure at the time, he was absolutely right to do that.

Exactly right.

Özil's Panoramic View
30-12-2013, 07:22 PM
http://arsenalist.com/f/newcastle-vs-arsenal/bendtner-begs-for-ball-jenkinson-gives-zero-fucks.htmlhttp://i.minus.com/idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif

Little bit proof. :lol:

milla
30-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Dumb and dumber in action :coffee:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 07:37 PM

You make an interesting point and that was actually my other concern. His supposed lack of awareness. He really should have been more aware of his team mates positions in that scenario so that his actions were at least informed by awareness of the situation around him. Rather than through ignorance.

I like Jenkinson and I think he can actually play rather than just getting the favour of being cheap, English and an Arsenal fan (which I've heard a few suggest on this board), but he does have a fair bit to learn still. Like I said I won't hammer him, but I was quite surprised seeing it as it played out.

If as some are seeming to suggest that Bendtner is not a player you throw the ball to, even in that scenario then that is an absolute and ringing indictment of the manager allowing such a situation where such a player is even on a field.

Alpha
30-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Little bit proof. :lol:

I like Carl but what he did here was just stupid and could have cost Arsenal 2 points . And also he proved how poor his judgement and awareness are . It was a rare occasion to extend the lead and release a bit of pressure . I 'm sure Wenger had told him and would never advocate such a silly action .

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Looking at that, Jenks obviously sped up when he realised Nicklas was there and then the chance had gone.

The idiot Newcastle full back was even trying his best to play him on side FFS!

GP
30-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Don't over think it.

He was running down the clock. Plain and simple.

Syn
30-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Definitely should've been more alert but I think too much is being made of it. If we're being fair he's also the only reason we got that throw-in in the first place. Otherwise the ball was heading straight back into our area from the left wing.

Özim
30-12-2013, 07:54 PM
The guy has now awareness of what was going on that's pretty clear, sure you try and run down the time but if there's a good chance to score a 2nd and win it all the better.

Yeah it was just plain stupidity, if he wants to be in the 1st team he needs to impress in every possible way.

The Emirates Gallactico
30-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Looking at that, Jenks obviously sped up when he realised Nicklas was there and then the chance had gone.

The idiot Newcastle full back was even trying his best to play him on side FFS!

You can't be offside from a throw in at any case so that didn't matter.

Santa's Big Sack.........of Gifts is right, though I made the same point earlier in this thread <_<. Jenks' first instinct was understanbly to run down the clock in the 93th minute so you can't have that much of a go at the lad ....... though he should have been more situationally aware. Scanning his surroundings and wasting time are not mutually exclusive events.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah. Doh!

I don't think anyone disagrees what his first instinct was as that was generally what the team was doing at the time. Incidentally most concede he should have been more aware too, not least because Nicklas is frantically waving his arms in the air screaming at him.

So we are all pretty much in agreement, it just happens that some think too much is being made of it but that comment in itself was probably the reason why we continued to debate it. :d

Marc Overmars
30-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I personally would have taken it quickly but eating up the clock was logical as well.

Özim
30-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I personally would have taken it quickly but eating up the clock was logical as well.

You're obviously a smart guy!

KSE Comedy Club
30-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Honestly I don't see what the problem was. Yeh it was frustrating but when you realise
it was bendtner who was screaming for it on his own you know that he probably would've done fuck all with it anyway.

Jenks did the job that wenger probably instructed him to do, run down the clock and see out the 1-0.

Letters
30-12-2013, 08:38 PM
This is a completely nothing debate from people who are desperate to find something to moan about now we're top of the league.
It's going into injury time in a game which we need to win to go top of the league. We're under pressure, the first priority is to run down the clock, keep a clean sheet, win the game. A second goal would have been nice and settled nerves but the first priority is what we have, we hold.

The very people moaning about this were moaning about how naive we were to push for a winner against Dortmund when we got caught then. Jenkinson was way up the field, if he'd taken it quickly and it had gone wrong he'd have been out of position. He was facing away from Bendtner when he was screaming for it, soon as he realised he looked to throw it to him but the moment had gone.

I know this is an Arsenal messageboard but do we really need to over-analyze every decision. We won the game, we're top of the league. Cheer up FFS!

Master Splinter
30-12-2013, 08:39 PM
This is a completely nothing debate from people who are desperate to find something to moan about now we're top of the league.

Hard to disagree.

KSE Comedy Club
30-12-2013, 08:44 PM
It's going into injury time in a game which we need to win to go top of the league. We're under pressure, the first priority is to run down the clock, keep a clean sheet, win the game. A second goal would have been nice and settled nerves but the first priority is what we have, we hold.

The very people moaning about this were moaning about how naive we were to push for a winner against Dortmund when we got caught then. Jenkinson was way up the field, if he'd taken it quickly and it had gone wrong he'd have been out of position. He was facing away from Bendtner when he was screaming for it, soon as he realised he looked to throw it to him but the moment had gone.

I know this is an Arsenal messageboard but do we really need to over-analyze every decision. We won the game, we're top of the league. Cheer up FFS!
Spot on.

I really don't understand the point of some things that get debated on here at times :shrug:

Marc Overmars
30-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Spot on.

I really don't understand the things that get debated on here at times :shrug:

There's a reason it's widely regarded as the worst Arsenal forum on the web.

KSE Comedy Club
30-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Oh right........I see :lol:

GP
30-12-2013, 08:49 PM

Exactly right. The over-analysis is pointless and quite boring. Especially when some often get it so wrong.

GP
30-12-2013, 08:49 PM

Exactly right.

Letters
30-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Wenger?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2013, 08:52 PM

I think that is unfair. And technically speaking we have been top of the league most of the time anyway.

Penguin
30-12-2013, 08:59 PM
99% of the time it's the right thing to time waste when you're a goal up in stoppage time. But not when you can play a striker through on goal while their keeper is scrambling back to his area. :lol:

We had plenty of bodies back even if we did lose the ball there so there wasn't a major threat of a counter either. Oh well, it was worth it just for that gif... Bentdner :pal: :lol:

Özim
30-12-2013, 09:00 PM

GP? :run:

Power n Glory
30-12-2013, 09:33 PM

:doh: Why the constant snip at posters? We're not all going to agree just because we won. Not so long ago you said the last 10 minutes were frustrating to watch because of the defensive subs. Has anyone accused you of having a moan? If someone were to disagree with your post, isn't it okay for you to explain why it's frustrating?

Just a few minutes ago we were all praising Rosicky and that stemmed from Blink's original post until someone brought up the Jenkinson issue which he addressed. It's not all negative we're just talking about a contentious part of the game, just like the Wenger subs you spoke on. Just because we won doesn't mean every decision was right. Everyone is happy with the 3 points.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Absolutely. There was nothing to gain by playing it quickly, and everything to lose.

100% right.

KSE Comedy Club
30-12-2013, 11:06 PM
:doh: Why the constant snip at posters? We're not all going to agree just because we won. Not so long ago you said the last 10 minutes were frustrating to watch because of the defensive subs. Has anyone accused you of having a moan? If someone were to disagree with your post, isn't it okay for you to explain why it's frustrating?

Just a few minutes ago we were all praising Rosicky and that stemmed from Blink's original post until someone brought up the Jenkinson issue which he addressed. It's not all negative we're just talking about a contentious part of the game, just like the Wenger subs you spoke on. Just because we won doesn't mean every decision was right. Everyone is happy with the 3 points.

I think the difference is that some have been calling Jenks stupid and shite just because he took his time.

It's a little unfair tbh especially when he had his back to the pitch when the ball went out of play anyway. If anything he did the right thing by wasting time IMO. Get the points in the bag. If he'd have played a quick pass and bendtner (inevitably) had fucked it up leading to a toon equaliser, People would be even more pissed.

It still makes me laugh that people thought bendtner would have actually scored!

Power n Glory
30-12-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't think anyone is being overly harsh on Jenkinson. I haven't many crazy comments. It's Bendy that's getting undue stick. He's not total garbage it's just his attitude and what's gone on with what he's said about the club.

Xhaka Can’t
30-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Well, it would be if anyone knew about it.

KSE Comedy Club
31-12-2013, 01:18 AM
I don't think anyone is being overly harsh on Jenkinson. I haven't many crazy comments. It's Bendy that's getting undue stick. He's not total garbage it's just his attitude and what's gone on with what he's said about the club.really?

Bendtner has always been shit though.

fakeyank
31-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Spot on.

I really don't understand the point of some things that get debated on here at times :shrug:

Did you catch the debate about whether we are signing Reus or Diego Costa? :haha:

BOBN
31-12-2013, 10:21 AM

To refuse to take on the clearest goal scoring opportunity you can ever hope for in favour of spoiling....What a despicable way to win the league :sick:

The very people saying it was the the right thing to do will be the first to wank themselves silly about Arsenal winning it "the right way" if we somehow manage to finish top.

BOBN
31-12-2013, 10:29 AM
As much as I like a GW bash. I had a peek at Arsenalmania and.....

and......

"The Sleeper wrote:
Jenkinson had better publicly apologize to Bendtner and the fans for that. It's not acceptable.

I agree.

Letters
31-12-2013, 10:53 AM
To refuse to take on the clearest goal scoring opportunity you can ever hope for in favour of spoiling....What a despicable way to win the league :sick:

The very people saying it was the the right thing to do will be the first to wank themselves silly about Arsenal winning it "the right way" if we somehow manage to finish top.
And the very people saying it was the wrong thing to do would be the first to moan if we went too gung-ho, did something silly and failed to protect a 1-0 need to get a very important away win. Arsenal are not in general, "1-0 to the Arsenal" any more but one thing we have failed to do over the last few years is hang on to leads. We've made too many silly defensive mistakes which have cost us points and cost us trophies. If we've learnt some lessons about that and are doing that better then great. I wouldn't want us to be boring boring Arsenal again but sometimes you need to shut up shop and protect a lead in a tight game. You don't just win titles with a "you score 3, we'll score 4" attitude.

Power n Glory
31-12-2013, 11:03 AM
You were ‘moaning’ about the defensive subs yourself and I guess the Jenkinson incident just epitomises the way we totally abandoned our attacking play and invited pressure on ourselves. It would have only been Bendy and maybe one other Arsenal player making a run to go for goal so it wouldn’t have effected our defensive shape at all. Again, main crux of the issue, if we’re going to try and see out a 1 nil victory, it makes sense to at least leave a player on for counter attacking moments like that. Theo would have been perfect. It’s a much better plan B if implemented right.

KSE Comedy Club
31-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Jenks had his back to the pitch when the ball went out of play, he didn't know bendtner was in the middle. Why is it so hard for people to grasp.

He did nothing wrong ffs.

This is pathetic, anyone would think he cost us the game.

Yes going all out defensive wasn't great to watch, and I would have preferred to see Theo stay on and poldi join him but at least for once, wenger had a plan and got the points.

As letters says, we've always been criticised for years about how we keep on attacking till the end when we don't need to and end up dropping points. Now wengers doin something about it people don't like it.
You can't have it all.

Is there nothing else to talk about apart from this pointless shit?!?

Power n Glory
31-12-2013, 11:31 AM
:doh: No one has gun to your head. You know you don’t have to take part if it’s pointless. Calm down, dude. :lol:

You seem to be getting things mixed up. This isn’t an attack on Jenkinson. Also, this isn’t anything new from Wenger. We had a Spurs game where we drew 4-4 because we went too defensive with the subs and it just invited pressure and we conceded in injury time. Thankfully, we have a much better defence and we’re more organised. We can easily combine that into a sucker punch as teams have done the same to us.

AFC Leveller
31-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Against Spurs Clichy decided to help them out and gave the ball away in our own half, they countered and scoreed the 3rd. I also think the likes of Gallas, Silvrestre, Clichy, Alumina etc didnt enjoy defending/holding out and putting their bodies on the line and thats why im really glad we've got some real determined defenders who look like they enjoy the dirty side of their jobs.

Xhaka Can’t
31-12-2013, 12:09 PM
This needs settling once and for all.

We should appeal to the FA to see if we can replay the match from the moment of the throw in to see what would have happened.

Sure, we may go on to only get a draw, but the peace of mind would be worth it.

Power n Glory
31-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Against Spurs Clichy decided to help them out and gave the ball away in our own half, they countered and scoreed the 3rd. I also think the likes of Gallas, Silvrestre, Clichy, Alumina etc didnt enjoy defending/holding out and putting their bodies on the line and thats why im really glad we've got some real determined defenders who look like they enjoy the dirty side of their jobs.

That team in general was a disgrace when it came to defending. The midfield never battled for the ball back the way we do now. Kos and Merts have been rock solid, same goes for Sagna. We’re way more comfortable at defending but it’s still uneasy watching us abandon possession and go all out defensive like that without an outlet for a counter attack. The throw in was a chance to counter attack with just Nicky B going for goal on his own. It wouldn’t have been a major risk. We got the points, which is what a few posters are trying to express, that’s the most important thing but I wouldn’t want us to try that again against better opposition. We’re good at defending but it’s not wise to allow the opposition chances on goal and Newcastle did have a few cracks. Wonder goals happen. We’ve seen it with Everton and where some would say there was no stopping such goals, I’ll always argue you can limit the chances if you have possession.

Marc Overmars
31-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Gallas, Silvrestre, Clichy, Alumina etc

*shudder*

So glad we have some proper defenders now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I just don't like the sweeping statements made around here when some people are debating a point that one or two don't like. This is a thread to talk about a past event, in this case it is the game. Why don't people just not get involved in the debate if they feel that strongly. That game has passed and there are threads about the next game and all manner of other things going on to engage with. It's not like this is the only thread to discuss in.

I made a comment in the midst of several others that Jenkinson had his back turned before realising Nicklas was open, before trying to make haste and shortly stopping as he realised the moment had gone. The next comments were in the vein of 'pointless debates' and 'over thinking'.

Letters then went on to make pretty much the same point in his post criticising those debating the subject. A flurry of virtual back slapping ensued.

When the opposition keeper has just gone up your end of the field to stick it to you late on, every player on the field should be aware of that situation. When the ball was wrestled away from Newcastle and went up their end the fact Krul was out of position should have been somewhere in Jenkinson's mind before the bleeding ball went out of touch. Ergo, he should have been proactive in being ready to take a quick throw in to catch them off guard and permanently kill the game. That high up the pitch and with Sagna deep behind him there was little danger if Krul and the one defender who were both in no man's land had managed to prevent Nicklas scoring one of the most gift wrapped chances he will get.

I don't know if anyone came in this thread and made Jenkinson's lack of awareness the butt of their frustration or the main point they made but I certainly didn't and as PnG pointed out, minutes before people were agreeing with me in this very thread, how well Rosicky did it that game to chase to the very end. I didn't make the point about Rosicky to appease anyone, or stick it to anyone who thinks he's old, injury prone and passed it. I made the point because watching the game (which is what this thread is about) those were precisely my thoughts when seeing Rosicky charge down the opposition almost single handedly like his life depended on it.

GP
31-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Jenks had his back to the pitch when the ball went out of play, he didn't know bendtner was in the middle. Why is it so hard for people to grasp.

He did nothing wrong ffs.

This is pathetic, anyone would think he cost us the game.

Yes going all out defensive wasn't great to watch, and I would have preferred to see Theo stay on and poldi join him but at least for once, wenger had a plan and got the points.

As letters says, we've always been criticised for years about how we keep on attacking till the end when we don't need to and end up dropping points. Now wengers doin something about it people don't like it.
You can't have it all.

Is there nothing else to talk about apart from this pointless shit?!?

BOBN
31-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Well thats too bad. Only a poor poor player doesnt know where his nearest teammates are.

BOBN
31-12-2013, 02:19 PM
And the very people saying it was the wrong thing to do would be the first to moan if we went too gung-ho, did something silly and failed to protect a 1-0 need to get a very important away win. Arsenal are not in general, "1-0 to the Arsenal" any more but one thing we have failed to do over the last few years is hang on to leads. We've made too many silly defensive mistakes which have cost us points and cost us trophies. If we've learnt some lessons about that and are doing that better then great. I wouldn't want us to be boring boring Arsenal again but sometimes you need to shut up shop and protect a lead in a tight game. You don't just win titles with a "you score 3, we'll score 4" attitude.
Ill tell you about mistakes.

How about the one where you idiotically delay taking a throw for just 2 seconds (yeah...nice timewasting) allowing the recipient to become tightly marked, meaning he is instantly depossessed and the opponents are free to attack.

Dont kid yourselves with these excuses.

Jenkinson is a thick, shit player and this was just another example.

Letters
31-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Ill tell you about mistakes.
Nah, you're OK.

Özim
31-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Also I'm not sure how it can be time wasting when the referee is suppose to add on any time for stoppages, if you want to time waste give it to your teammate so you can both run it down to the corner flag.

Letters
31-12-2013, 02:30 PM
If the ref added on time for time-wasting properly then we'd be there for about 3 hours most games.
All clubs and all players do this sort of thing.

Özim
31-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm sure he stopped his watch when the ball went out of play, it's not exactly rocket science.

Letters
31-12-2013, 02:45 PM
OK. Well so long as you're sure that's good enough for me.

Dein-machine
31-12-2013, 02:45 PM
not sure Bendy would have scored a one on one anyway but Jenks awareness & footballing brain is not for a team that supposedly want to compete with the best in Europe. Those of you defending him are suggesting that waiting for a few seconds to "time waste" was a better choice than having a one on one with a good chance to kill the game off. Even after the throw-in Newcastle could have scored and got a point. A quick throw in would meant 2-0 or at least the same amount of time wasted with Bendy through on goal - a no brainer for me. Can you imagine Barca doing that or our Invincibles, Titi would have gone mad at jenks. He needs to be loaned out, after seeing him at another team I doubt we'd want him back.

Özim
31-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Charlton sent him on loan to Welling United and Eastbourne Borough, they didn't want him back so offloaded him to us.

BOBN
31-12-2013, 02:48 PM
not sure Bendy would have scored a one on one anyway but Jenks awareness & footballing brain is not for a team that supposedly want to compete with the best in Europe. Those of you defending him are suggesting that waiting for a few seconds to "time waste" was a better choice than having a one on one with a good chance to kill the game off. Even after the throw-in Newcastle could have scored and got a point. A quick throw in would meant 2-0 or at least the same amount of time wasted with Bendy through on goal - a no brainer for me. Can you imagine Barca doing that or our Invincibles, Titi would have gone mad at jenks. He needs to be loaned out, after seeing him at another team I doubt we'd want him back.
No Premier League team would touch him, every single starting right back in the league is better than him.

Maybe Charlton would take him?

BOBN
31-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Charlton sent him on loan to Welling United and Eastbourne Borough, they didn't want him back so offloaded him to us.
Thats answered my question :lol:

mkkreuk
31-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm sure he stopped his watch when the ball went out of play, it's not exactly rocket science.

LOL. Have you ever watched a premier league football match?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2014, 04:13 AM

That's about the size of it.

But ohhh no.... Jenkinson is 100% correct and you have the sheer temerity, audacity even, to debate such a thing. Get behind the team why don't you. :rolleyes:

KSE Comedy Club
01-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Kibble & bits :popcorn:

Letters
01-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Those of you defending him are suggesting that waiting for a few seconds to "time waste" was a better choice than having a one on one with a good chance to kill the game off.
No, we're suggesting that the first instinct of pretty much any player in that situation is to slow things down, see the game out.
His back was turned when Bendy was screaming for it, you could argue he could have been more aware but I refer you to my original point.
I've seen it a million* times at the Emirates when teams are drawing or winning.
I've also seen Arsenal throw away a million* games by doing stupid things, if we're closing down games now by slowing things down at times in tight games then great.

* - may be exaggeration, but you get the point.

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I've told you six times, not to exaggerate.

Letters
01-01-2014, 11:14 AM