PDA

View Full Version : When we beat United on Wednesday...

The Verminator
08-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Worst case scenario would be 1 point off the top. :coffee:

You can lose all the so-called "big games" and still win the league.

Today's a big blow but in the scheme of things we've won 1/lost 1 against Liverpool.

When we beat United optimism will be up again and we can focus on having a decent chance at winning the league again. :)

selassie
08-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Even if we beat uNITED I very much doubt we can afford to lose the games against City and Chelsea and still finish top. I think we will do very well to finish 3rd this season.

Özim
08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
We're not winning the league I don't care what anyone says, this team doesn't have what it takes under the current management, we've got a proven record.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Whether we're going for the league or not is irrelevant, it's just a game we have to win by any which way now.

cheesy bites
08-02-2014, 03:04 PM
We're not going to win the league though.

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2014, 03:04 PM
We do need a response to Liverpool. We've responded so far in the recent past. This is something that ought not be too testing, but with that monkey on our back, it will be a bigger challenge.

A draw won't be good enough - it has to be a win. And I'm not even talking about the title here, we aren't winning that, but we need to keep moving forward, because as miserable as the Liverpool result is today, we are moving in the right direction.

Marc Overmars
08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
This mini run of tough games is nothing compared to what we have next month.

The seeds of the collapse have been planted and today has washed away any belief I had.

The Verminator
08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Even if we beat uNITED I very much doubt we can afford to lose the games against City and Chelsea and still finish top. I think we will do very well to finish 3rd this season.

You can afford to lose against City and Chelsea if you beat lesser teams and they don't.

The Verminator
08-02-2014, 03:06 PM
We're not winning the league I don't care what anyone says, this team doesn't have what it takes under the current management, we've got a proven record.

The odds are against us but you'd be a fool to say we have no chance at all.

The Emirates Gallactico

That's the spirit Zimm. It amazes me why you never went into football management with that sort of positive attitude to inspire the troops. :coffee:

Anyway a win against United (our bogey team for ages) is now a must win. The title is looking unlikely as we've got hard fixtures to come but it's still a realistic possiblity. Let's not all just throw away all the good work we've done up to now on the basis of one terrible result.

The Verminator
Whether we're going for the league or not is irrelevant, it's just a game we have to win by any which way now.

Even if we didn't win, 12 more games to go after that.

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
You can afford to lose against City and Chelsea if you beat lesser teams and they don't.

eh?

The Verminator
We're not going to win the league though.

True, underdogs never win anything!

Özim
That's the spirit Zimm. It amazes me why you never went into football management with that sort of positive attitude to inspire the troops. :coffee:

Anyway a win against United (our bogey team for ages) is now a must win. The title is looking unlikely as we've got hard fixtures to come but it's still a realistic possiblity. Let's not all just throw away all the good work we've done up to now on the basis of one terrible result.

If I was manager I'd believe, but only because I'd be trying to improve the team by signing quality players and using tactics.

I don't believe because of Wenger, he doesn't have what it takes and won't do the necessary.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Even if we didn't win, 12 more games to go after that.

I know and in terms of pure points, you are right but after defeats like this you've just got to get a win as soon as possible after it. It's the only way it can be forgotten.

Özim
08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
The odds are against us but you'd be a fool to say we have no chance at all.

All I can say is there's a lot of fools going around at the moment then.

The Verminator
08-02-2014, 03:11 PM
eh?

I'll explain in layman's terms. 3 points against a small team is the same as 3 points against a big team. If we lose against City/Chelsea but beat another team that they lose to then it works out the same in the league.

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I'll explain in layman's terms. 3 points against a small team is the same as 3 points against a big team. If we lose against City/Chelsea but beat another team that they lose to then it works out the same in the league.

I misread the post I quoted.

Focussed on the 'you' and reckoned you meant 'you' in the context of you supporting another club and providing comfort to us.

I know what I mean.

In summary: my bad.

The Verminator
08-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I misread the post I quoted.

Focussed on the 'you' and reckoned you meant 'you' in the context of you supporting another club and providing comfort to us.

I know what I mean.

In summary: my bad.

Understood - no worries. :)

Gooner till I die, only posting here to offer some optimism in a place I like to visit but has a hive mentality of doom. Lots of funny posts too though, which is why I sometimes like to read here. :)

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Understood - no worries. :)

Gooner till I die, only posting here to offer some optimism in a place I like to visit but has a hive mentality of doom. Lots of funny posts too though, which is why I sometimes like to read here. :)

You poor bastard - I'm one of the optimists!

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
We do need a response to Liverpool.

Buy alloys instead of hubcaps.

Letters
08-02-2014, 05:23 PM

I don't think we will either but do you think that should be the benchmark for success this season?
There's been a clear improvement this year so far, a total collapse would disappoint me but part of that improvement has been our reaction to setbacks. If we can react on Wednesday and get a result (which really has to be a win) then while I'm still not convinced we'll win the title we should be a lot closer than the last few years. It will show improvement and that the club are heading in the right direction.

selassie
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
This mini run of tough games is nothing compared to what we have next month.

The seeds of the collapse have been planted and today has washed away any belief I had.

Yep, I kind of think the same, next months schedule is absolutely brutal and If I am honest we need all the points we can get now. If we don't up our game, next month we could find ourselves scrapping for a place in the top 4.

Özim
08-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think we will either but do you think that should be the benchmark for success this season?
There's been a clear improvement this year so far, a total collapse would disappoint me but part of that improvement has been our reaction to setbacks. If we can react on Wednesday and get a result (which really has to be a win) then while I'm still not convinced we'll win the title we should be a lot closer than the last few years. It will show improvement and that the club are heading in the right direction.

I think the problem is even though we have improved we'll never improve enough to be successful under Wenger IMO, he won't adapt and go out and sign players for example when it's clear we need them, he's happy to sit and wait and trust in his team, doesn't work, when you're missing something go out and find it.

Letters
08-02-2014, 06:23 PM
To be fair his trust in his players has seen us do very well so far this year although I agree there is an obvious gap up front and his failure to fill it leaes us wanting. I'd be very disappointed with a real collapse but if we respond and run Chelsea and City close then I'll be fairly content with the progress IF we push on in the summer.

Power n Glory
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM
No idea what expect from this squad after that beating. Take each game as it comes.

KSE Comedy Club
08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I still think we can win it, maybe I've just been driven mad after today's game but I'm starting to see this as a setback rather than a collapse.

We could see it coming I guess, but the team will know that they can't get away with that shit anymore this season and hopefully will knuckle down again.

I don't know :shrug:

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Couldn't really be a collapse after 1 game. We'll know more on Wed night.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
A loss against Pool and win against Utd means 3 points.

Would be better than two draws.

Hope is not lost.

#positives

Penguin
13-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Yep, I kind of think the same, next months schedule is absolutely brutal and If I am honest we need all the points we can get now. If we don't up our game, next month we could find ourselves scrapping for a place in the top 4.

It's funny isn't it? The small margins in football. A smart investment in January and would have reinforced our title bid and given us the belief that we could seriously challenge for it this year. We didn't and now we've just lost all of the momentum of the first half of the season. We have to avoid being pulled into the 4th place battle at all costs. :banghead:

The Verminator
13-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Boring match and no win but still only 1 point off the top.