PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Vela

AKBapologist
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
:coffee:

RomfordPele
04-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Great news if it happens. Begs the question, why didn't we do this in January?

Munchies
04-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Not a bad move at all. Has good pace, dribbling, and can score. Think he has near 20 goals this season and a hatful of assists too.

£3m is nothing these days, and it's a pretty clever clause to put in.

Youtube scouting this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpbQaC5xito

Let's get Griezmann too whilst we're at it :popcorn:

AKBapologist
05-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Oh, and heres the story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2619145/Carlos-Vela-hints-return-Arsenal-3-3m-sign-clause-leaves-door-open-25m.html

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
That video serves to really highlight what a player Griezmann is as much as anything else! He seems even more complete a player than I realised.

Nice to see Vela do his trademark chip though. If you need a ball chipping......Vela's your man. Not sure he is really what we need though.....even at a snip.

I am invisible
05-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I read somewhere that Griezmann's defensive work rate is meant to be really impressive too? Anyone actually watched that much of him?

Özim
05-05-2014, 10:12 PM
That video serves to really highlight what a player Griezmann is as much as anything else! He seems even more complete a player than I realised.

Nice to see Vela do his trademark chip though. If you need a ball chipping......Vela's your man. Not sure he is really what we need though.....even at a snip.

Chips are my favourite, sign him up.

Homemade are best INO.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-05-2014, 10:46 PM
There was a concerted report on Vela's love of McDonald's and Burger King once upon a time.... round about the time he was most round I think.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere that Griezmann's defensive work rate is meant to be really impressive too? Anyone actually watched that much of him?

Seemed like he gets well involved in the play and is quite dynamic. I noticed a few through balls played by him from deep but he also was out on the wing a bit and scored a header in a central position. Never actually seen him play a full 90 though.

What I do know is that he is a French international with only 1 senior cap, so Wenger will know everything there is to know about him. The question is....why hasn't Wenger already signed him!?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-05-2014, 11:59 PM
No thanks.

Lightweight little twat. If he couldn't cut it the first time he won't again.

Plus he represents everything that was wrong with the club for years. Loser mentality.

selassie
06-05-2014, 08:24 AM

"Here's the one that I want..the one that I want...Ooo Ooo Oooh!"

Griezmann looks a great player, he's the one we need for the wings if we are in the market for a wide forward. I would prefer him to Draxler tbh.

Özim
06-05-2014, 08:37 AM
No thanks.

Lightweight little twat. If he couldn't cut it the first time he won't again.

Plus he represents everything that was wrong with the club for years. Loser mentality.

:doh:

I am invisible
06-05-2014, 08:53 AM
"Here's the one that I want..the one that I want...Ooo Ooo Oooh!"

Griezmann looks a great player, he's the one we need for the wings if we are in the market for a wide forward. I would prefer him to Draxler tbh.
Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the young French lad too - I still have a feeling that Draxler will be an absolute monster of a players at some point, simply because of the raw attributes he has, but right at the moment his stats are long way behind Griezmann's, and he comes with the heftier price tag? If we're going with our heads then there's only one choice there.

I am invisible
06-05-2014, 09:05 AM
To be fair to Vela, he does look like he's toughened up a lot in that clip? Still don't think we should be looking at him as anything more than an easy, no-hassle alternative, if all the other options we're looking at crap out though.

That being said, I do wonder if we can use Vela's £3m release clause to our advantage in any talks for Griezmann? There's a lot of clubs snooping around Griezmann, so odds are they're going to lose him anyway, but only us who are able to pry Vela away for next to nothing - I'm guessing they won't want to lose both players at the same time (especially if they'll barely getting a fee for one of them), so they could eliminate the threat of losing Vela (and maybe get us to write off the release clause in the process), if make us the preferred bid for Griezmann?

Özim
06-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Vela has improved a lot since he was with us, playing games has obviously helped, being given half a game here and there was never going to develop him.

Wouldn't mind him back as well as a top striker, he's a decent player who never really got a chance first time and suffered from being played out of position when he did play as well.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Vela has improved a lot since he was with us, playing games has obviously helped, being given half a game here and there was never going to develop him.

Wouldn't mind him back as well as a top striker, he's a decent player who never really got a chance first time and suffered from being played out of position when he did play as well.

clearly not going to sign him and a top striker, or a top striker full stop...to do that beaky nose would have to admit that Giroud isn't good enough.

Munchies
06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Griezmann plays as us on Fifa :lol:

http://instagram.com/p/iHH-v3hsL_/

http://instagram.com/p/iHInjEhsMo/

'Oh la la la !! Olvier Giroud !!'

:haha:

-
But yeah, Griezmann on the left hand side > Podolski/Cazorla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbTwFNUUZ4

Power n Glory
06-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Vela is having a fine season from the looks of it and he’s always been a good little player. I don’t think he adjusted to life in England and I don’t think it was helped by the lack of first team games plus being played out of position. Wenger would always play him down the left and he’s a left footed player with an eye for goal. Playing him in that position just forced him down the byline because he’s so left footed and it reduces his game. For Real Sociedad he plays down the right as an inverted winger so he’s able to play off his preferred foot and cut in on goal. He might as well stay in Spain because Wenger doesn’t use inverted wingers anymore if you look at how he plays Podolski and Walcott. I don’t think there is any point in him coming back if we use him in the same way.

Marc Overmars
06-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Wouldn't be the worst option in the world but we'd still need a lot more.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Griezmann would be a good option....i think our best striking option would be Remy, quick, strong and 20 goals in 40 league appearances....and imagine how productive he'd be being fed by players like Cazorla and Ozil.

Gooner23
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Griezmann would be a good option....i think our best striking option would be Remy, quick, strong and 20 goals in 40 league appearances....and imagine how productive he'd be being fed by players like Cazorla and Ozil.

I'd take Remy as well. Would rather have him for 10 mil than Costa or Cavani for 40. Just want a pacey striker who knows where the goal is, don't care if he doesn't cost the earth. Spend that money on Bender and Draxler.

Power n Glory
06-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't rule out Cavani. He'd be a special player and if available we should pursue. But I doubt we'd be able to afford him.

But I agree with Remy also. Explosive pace is the key thing we need if we can't find an elite striker that pull off something special when the service dries up.

selassie
06-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the young French lad too - I still have a feeling that Draxler will be an absolute monster of a players at some point, simply because of the raw attributes he has, but right at the moment his stats are long way behind Griezmann's, and he comes with the heftier price tag? If we're going with our heads then there's only one choice there.

Yep. For some reason I think Griezmann would settle in a bit quicker, I think he would offer better stats too. I do agree that Draxler does have "world class ability" but I have a feeling if he does get to that level it won't be for a while.

selassie
06-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Aye, Remy would guarantee us goals but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him being first choice striker, if we go for him as first choice we might aswell promote Theo to first choice striker.

I personally think Remy would make an excellent backup striker, in fact I think we should bring him in.

I am still undecided who I think should be our first choice but we should be looking at players like Cavani, Balotelli etc, 2nd tier strikers who have potential to be bonafide world class performers.

Heisenberg
06-05-2014, 03:01 PM
I think we can rule out Cavani. PSG bought him for silly money (£50m+) last summer; they're not going to sell him for less just a year later.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd have liked to have taken Blaise Matuidi from PSG if they hadn't already tied him down to a new deal

selassie
06-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I think we can rule out Cavani. PSG bought him for silly money (£50m+) last summer; they're not going to sell him for less just a year later.

Sure, someone at the "Cavani" type level, someone like Balotelli, he'd be a risk...but if Arsene sorted him out we would have some player on our hands.

Heisenberg
06-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Sure, someone at the "Cavani" type level, someone like Balotelli, he'd be a risk...but if Arsene sorted him out we would have some player on our hands.

Completely agree.

Power n Glory
06-05-2014, 04:21 PM

They have to lower their wage bill so we might be in with a shot regarding asking price but I'm not so sure about his wages.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Aye, Remy would guarantee us goals but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him being first choice striker, if we go for him as first choice we might aswell promote Theo to first choice striker.

I personally think Remy would make an excellent backup striker, in fact I think we should bring him in.

I am still undecided who I think should be our first choice but we should be looking at players like Cavani, Balotelli etc, 2nd tier strikers who have potential to be bonafide world class performers.

I wouldn't exactly call Cavani second tier...though there is clearly not much room left round the sides of Ibrahimovic's ego over in Paris....

Having said that, Cavani has flattered to deceive a remarkable amount of times in the biggest games, but in truth it can be easily forgiven if he fills his boots up against the cannon fodder. Ostensibly he is precisely the sort of player we need. Physical presence, reasonable speed and a great finishing record scoring most types of goals....

I agree with you somewhat on Remy and I'm not sure he is a centre forward never mind a first choice striker for a club like ours but maybe I'm being harsh on him. I see him as a wide left player really for us (though we may well be stocked up there) but incidentally he would provide another option at centre forward. Nothing wrong with adding depth though and to bring in a player of his quality on free is not the sort of gift you will be presented with often.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
:doh:

I swear you often go on about how you hate the midget stature of our players nowadays? And how Wenger needs to go back to big powerful strong players?

Vela was a failure here.

No thanks.

Slacker
06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
I swear you often go on about how you hate the midget stature of our players nowadays? And how Wenger needs to go back to big powerful strong players?

Vela was a failure here.

No thanks.

I'm with She Wore.

Not sure how Carlos (much as I love and respect him) is going to turn his English game around. He struggled in the League Cup against the Wednesday night cloggers and in the games he came on as a game changing sub. Sorry mate, you're not in any Arsenal team I would choose...

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
They have to lower their wage bill so we might be in with a shot regarding asking price but I'm not so sure about his wages.

They don't have to lower their wage bill, they only need to ensure the wages for the 21 picked for CL squad falls within limits, which are yet to be set and can be appealed. FFP in reality means they can go on spending however much they want to - no limits, just bung a suitcase stuffed with cash at Monsewer Platini.

Power n Glory
06-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm with She Wore.

Not sure how Carlos (much as I love and respect him) is going to turn his English game around. He struggled in the League Cup against the Wednesday night cloggers and in the games he came on as a game changing sub. Sorry mate, you're not in any Arsenal team I would choose...

Way too harsh of an assessment for a player that could barely get a run of games. He'd only get cameo appearances for us but always seemed to score during Internationals or getting a full game during the Carling Cup. Vela's true potential is a mystery. If he'd have been given the full run like by Wenger, like how we saw with Denilson or Ramsey, we'd get to see what he's really made of. Unfortunately, there were too many good players ahead of him and never got that run of games.

Slacker
06-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Way too harsh of an assessment for a player that could barely get a run of games. He'd only get cameo appearances for us but always seemed to score during Internationals or getting a full game during the Carling Cup. Vela's true potential is a mystery. If he'd have been given the full run like by Wenger, like how we saw with Denilson or Ramsey, we'd get to see what he's really made of. Unfortunately, there were too many good players ahead of him and never got that run of games.

Happy to cede on this one and love to be proved wrong.

Özim
06-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Vela was a failure here.

No thanks.

That's mainly in midfield where we have no real powerhouses.

Vela though is a good little player, for 4 million that's a good deal if we signed another striker on top of that, he's developed as a player.

He never got the opportunity last time IMO, as an additional option off the bench though he wouldn't be bad, I always thought he had talent but really never got played much and when he did was played in the wrong position.

I am invisible
07-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't exactly call Cavani second tier...though there is clearly not much room left round the sides of Ibrahimovic's ego over in Paris....

Having said that, Cavani has flattered to deceive a remarkable amount of times in the biggest games, but in truth it can be easily forgiven if he fills his boots up against the cannon fodder. Ostensibly he is precisely the sort of player we need. Physical presence, reasonable speed and a great finishing record scoring most types of goals....

I agree with you somewhat on Remy and I'm not sure he is a centre forward never mind a first choice striker for a club like ours but maybe I'm being harsh on him. I see him as a wide left player really for us (though we may well be stocked up there) but incidentally he would provide another option at centre forward. Nothing wrong with adding depth though and to bring in a player of his quality on free is not the sort of gift you will be presented with often.
Remy's a wide forward for me, all day long - competition / cover for Walcott more than Giroud.

Which, I think we arguably need (almost) as much as we need another CF? We all saw the difference that having just one willing runner in the side made to our attacking game before Christmas with Ramsey, and we all saw how badly the attack was effected when we lost him (and how it's perked up almost instantly again since he returned) - we have to assume that both he and Walcott will continue to pick up injuries along the way, given their recent injury records, so surely we need to make covering them a priority (especially while there's so many options around, many of which look like they'd be extremely cost-effective)?

Also, if we can get more pace / goals in the side from other areas, then I personally think it blows open the list of targets we can be looking at for the new CF?

A Gunner
07-05-2014, 10:17 AM
I think we need someone who can both do what Giroud can and more, because Giroud is very much one dimensional.

Kano
07-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Unless Wenger is thinking of switching back to a front two, then no thanks. Two small and fragile for our league. He’s no Aguero/Tevez/Suarez, robust, quick and strong enough to make a nuisance of himself playing upfront by himself. Looks like he’s doing well in Spain. Not everyone is cut out for the cut and thrust of our league.

Power n Glory
07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Remy's a wide forward for me, all day long - competition / cover for Walcott more than Giroud.

Which, I think we arguably need (almost) as much as we need another CF? We all saw the difference that having just one willing runner in the side made to our attacking game before Christmas with Ramsey, and we all saw how badly the attack was effected when we lost him (and how it's perked up almost instantly again since he returned) - we have to assume that both he and Walcott will continue to pick up injuries along the way, given their recent injury records, so surely we need to make covering them a priority (especially while there's so many options around, many of which look like they'd be extremely cost-effective)?

Also, if we can get more pace / goals in the side from other areas, then I personally think it blows open the list of targets we can be looking at for the new CF?

I think Wenger needs to sort out his rotation of players if we’re talking about competition and back up players. We’ve got pace on the bench/reserves that we could be making better use of otherwise they’ll end up like Carlos Vela. What’s happened to Gnarby? Why can’t Ryo get a few games? What about Campbell and will we recall him back from Turkey? If we just need pace, I’m sure these players can contribute but it’s a big ask for these young and inexperienced players to go from zero to 60 after a handful of sporadic 10-15 minute appearances. Remy seems like a decent enough player but I have reservations about signing him to play on the flanks because I doubt Wenger use him as much as he should.

milla
07-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Unless Wenger is thinking of switching back to a front two, then no thanks. Two small and fragile for our league. He’s no Aguero/Tevez/Suarez, robust, quick and strong enough to make a nuisance of himself playing upfront by himself. Looks like he’s doing well in Spain. Not everyone is cut out for the cut and thrust of our league.

We have robust, quick and strong CF in Serge Gnabry. He was CF at his previous club and still a CF for German youth team. He is built exactly like Suarez and Aguero, he got the skill of CF as well. Shame Wenger will not try him as CF. :coffee:

Power n Glory
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
We have robust, quick and strong CF in Serge Gnabry. He was CF at his previous club and still a CF for German youth team. He is built exactly like Suarez and Aguero, he got the skill of CF as well. Shame Wenger will not try him as CF. :coffee:

I thought he was a central midfield player? Oh well. It's the same with Theo and Ox. Wenger likes to use the wide positions to develop players. It's another habit he needs to snap out of.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Gnabry is unlucky to not have got more games but his time will come again and he clearly has the maturity to go with the ability. Not sure he is our centre forward even if he has played there for Germany U21's which is a completely different level of football.

Suarez is a goal machine and has been for a long time.....way before most of us were watching him play regularly and Aguero is a very unique specimen indeed with the level of power he has.

If we are going to try something as left field as Gnabry at CF it should happen in training and pre-season firstly and fore-mostly where the pressure is off and twitter warriors won't be telling him to go and die if it doesn't work out. I'm amazed how willing we are to see options like this in the first team for a period that is presumably deemed 'a decent run of games' which I surmise to be several games in succession for the centre forward role.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-05-2014, 06:07 PM
That's mainly in midfield where we have no real powerhouses.

Vela though is a good little player, for 4 million that's a good deal if we signed another striker on top of that, he's developed as a player.

He never got the opportunity last time IMO, as an additional option off the bench though he wouldn't be bad, I always thought he had talent but really never got played much and when he did was played in the wrong position.

But we won't though. You know that. So you're talking rubbish because I've just ousted you.

If Wenger signs Vela and another striker, as well as having Giroud, I'll send you a cheque for £1000. You and me both know it won't happen.

So would it be acceptable to have him back if he's the only striker we sign? Hell no.

Love the revisionism btw i.e. don't want midget midfield players but strikers it's okay. If Vela came here and struggled you'd be the first to say how Wenger should have gone for a big, strong forward.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm with She Wore.

Excellent post.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Tempted to take you up on that bet myself :d but if he does sign two forwards, one of them won't be Vela!

fakeyank
08-05-2014, 02:25 AM

:gp:

I dont see why we should not give him a run for the game against Norwich. Or is he dead?

Özim
08-05-2014, 08:37 AM
But we won't though. You know that. So you're talking rubbish because I've just ousted you.

If Wenger signs Vela and another striker, as well as having Giroud, I'll send you a cheque for £1000. You and me both know it won't happen.

So would it be acceptable to have him back if he's the only striker we sign? Hell no.

Love the revisionism btw i.e. don't want midget midfield players but strikers it's okay. If Vela came here and struggled you'd be the first to say how Wenger should have gone for a big, strong forward.

Yeah you got me, sorry yeah I'm talking rubbish cos you ousted me, I'll hold my hands up you caught me out, man you're so smart, why can't we all be like you?

The thing is you never know what will happen with us, it's feasible Podolski will leave seeing as he's had limited opportunities and never plays up front, we'd then need two strikers.

Oh and I don't want a big strong striker, I want a pacey goalscorer, couldn't give a damn if he's big or strong.

Özim
08-05-2014, 08:38 AM

I dont see why we should not give him a run for the game against Norwich. Or is he dead?

He's not slow, immobile and doesn't have a quiff so there's no chance.

JVC
08-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Vela was never played more then 15-20mins at times, how could he be judged like this. He took a bottom table team to the Champions league for a reason. Have you seen how he danced around Barcelona? Arsenal should be lucky he considers coming back to Arsenal after all those years. Will be nice if he does come back on the team and proves everyone wrong. His national team begged him for 2 years just to come back and play.

Power n Glory
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Vela was never played more then 15-20mins at times, how could he be judged like this. He took a bottom table team to the Champions league for a reason. Have you seen how he danced around Barcelona? Arsenal should be lucky he considers coming back to Arsenal after all those years. Will be nice if he does come back on the team and proves everyone wrong. His national team begged him for 2 years just to come back and play.

Good first post, my man. I really don't know how stone cold conclusions can be made from sporadic 15-20 minute cameos.

JVC
08-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Good first post, my man. I really don't know how stone cold conclusions can be made from sporadic 15-20 minute cameos.

Glad you got to see my first and second post. Maybe if you watch a few matches and what this guy can really do. Even if you dont like this guy many clubs out there would pick him up for 15-30mil, that would be stupid of Wenger not to active the clause he most of thought about when he sold him.

milla
08-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Glad you got to see my first and second post. Maybe if you watch a few matches and what this guy can really do. Even if you dont like this guy many clubs out there would pick him up for 15-30mil, that would be stupid of Wenger not to active the clause he most of thought about when he sold him.

If Wumger brings Vela back, he would likely stick him on the wrong side of the wing (left) again. :lol:

Power n Glory
08-05-2014, 12:06 PM

I like Vela and always thought he was never given a fair shot here at Arsenal. The odd sub appearances never helped and he was always played in the wrong position on the wide left. I wouldn’t object to use bringing him back.

Power n Glory
08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
If Wumger brings Vela back, he would likely stick him on the wrong side of the wing (left) again. :lol:

Yep, that’s what I don’t want to see either. It’s frustrating enough seeing Theo played on the right instead down the left. It slowed his development and he’s had to really push to make it work for himself. There is no point in Vela coming over if we’re not going to play him as an inverted winger. I don’t know many top teams that play 4-3-3 without inverted wingers to be honest.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2014, 12:21 PM
we don't want to make snap decisions based on a few decent performances here and there, we need to wait until the world cup and if he scores a screamer against Brazil cutting in from the right we should definitley sign him.

JVC
08-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Yep, that’s what I don’t want to see either. It’s frustrating enough seeing Theo played on the right instead down the left. It slowed his development and he’s had to really push to make it work for himself. There is no point in Vela coming over if we’re not going to play him as an inverted winger. I don’t know many top teams that play 4-3-3 without inverted wingers to be honest.

Agree with you he was never given enough playing time but Vela does not have to be an inverted player. He plays well on the left, centre or right its just up to Wenger to take him back and play him for once.

Lets not forget he was also the main factor Mexico won their first U17 world cup.

Power n Glory
08-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Agree with you he was never given enough playing time but Vela does not have to be an inverted player. He plays well on the left, centre or right its just up to Wenger to take him back and play him for once.

Lets not forget he was also the main factor Mexico won their first U17 world cup.

His record is impressive when given playing time. I just see it as a waste to sign him up, loan him out and then not to give him playing time whilst we had him here.

JVC
08-05-2014, 01:04 PM
His record is impressive when given playing time. I just see it as a waste to sign him up, loan him out and then not to give him playing time whilst we had him here.

I doubt he would come back unless he is guaranteed he will get a fair chance this time. Hope he gets another chance, great summer signing even if he doesnt work out for some reason.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah you got me, sorry yeah I'm talking rubbish cos you ousted me, I'll hold my hands up you caught me out, man you're so smart, why can't we all be like you?

That's that sorted then.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-05-2014, 10:35 PM

:haha:

Ollie the Optimist
10-05-2014, 04:29 PM
yeah lets go and splash 42 million pounds on Mesut Ozil and then sign carlos vela as a striker.

Diego Forlan scored a ton of goals in spain, he was dogshit here. Vela failed before, he will fail again.

Özim
10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
On the same token Ozil was great in Spain and has been average here. As you can see it's not as clear cut as you think.

Ollie the Optimist
10-05-2014, 05:07 PM
yeah Ozil hasn't been average. If you think that, you clearly don't watch him.

Özim
10-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Well yeah overall he has, not the greatest of seasons, not to say he's not a top player, but his season hasn't been that good whereas he was brilliant in Spain.

Ollie the Optimist
10-05-2014, 05:19 PM
last season he had ronaldo ahead of him, this season he spent most of his time trying to make giroud be less of a dickhead.

mesut ozil is not a player you can watch on tv and see how good he is, you have to watch him by going to games to really understand him ( i know, you going to games. laughable idea) but his movement, his vision and understanding of the game is second to none. On tv, you see him move a couple of steps and play a simple pass and think thats nothing, but when you see the whole pitch, those couple of steps take several players out of the game.

when Ozil was out injuring over easter, we played awful football and struggled, even when Ramsey came back. When Ozil came back against Hull, our football shot up, and thats because of him. His vision and understanding is brilliant. he hasn't been average at all, he improved this team massively, allowed Ramsey to flourish and gave the club a boost but because he hasn't got 56896 goals and 6543 assists, people think he has been average

Özim
10-05-2014, 05:29 PM
last season he had ronaldo ahead of him, this season he spent most of his time trying to make giroud be less of a dickhead.

mesut ozil is not a player you can watch on tv and see how good he is, you have to watch him by going to games to really understand him ( i know, you going to games. laughable idea) but his movement, his vision and understanding of the game is second to none. On tv, you see him move a couple of steps and play a simple pass and think thats nothing, but when you see the whole pitch, those couple of steps take several players out of the game.

when Ozil was out injuring over easter, we played awful football and struggled, even when Ramsey came back. When Ozil came back against Hull, our football shot up, and thats because of him. His vision and understanding is brilliant. he hasn't been average at all, he improved this team massively, allowed Ramsey to flourish and gave the club a boost but because he hasn't got 56896 goals and 6543 assists, people think he has been average

What's laughable is your bias stopping you seeing the woods from the trees.

We weren't just awful at Easter, we've been awful since December, sure we've scraped wins but our performances have been pretty poor. He's not been that good, hence all the criticism he's received from everywhere, before you call me out for being anti Ozil, I rate him highly however he's not been great this season.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
yeah lets go and splash 42 million pounds on Mesut Ozil and then sign carlos vela as a striker.

Diego Forlan scored a ton of goals in spain, he was dogshit here. Vela failed before, he will fail again.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Ollie is the best poster on here tbh

Özim
11-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again, Ollie is the best poster on here tbh

:lol:

Power n Glory
11-05-2014, 01:22 AM
It's a terrible argument. We need more quality players around Ozil but it shouldn't take a signing of Ronaldo calibre to get something more out of Ozil. That is just nonsense.

Niall_Quinn
11-05-2014, 11:11 AM
There's many a good meal in this thread - it should be made sticky so all the experts can tuck into the pie this time next year.

GP
11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
There's many a good meal in this thread - it should be made sticky so all the experts can tuck into the pie this time next year.

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/joffrey-eating-the-pie.gif

AKBapologist
15-05-2014, 01:41 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/14/arsenal-agree-3million-transfer-to-re-sign-carlos-vela-4727725/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arsenal-complete-first-summer-signing-by-meeting-vela-release-clause-1448558?

http://www.arsenalstation.com/2014/05/14/first-summer-signing-done-arsenal-sign-20-goal-striker-reports/?

Edinburgh Gooner
15-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Article from talkShite about Vela, including a video woop woop!
http://talksport.com/football/carlos-velas-arsenal-return-how-deal-will-work-and-what-he-can-offer-gunners-14051591348

Penguin
15-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Not bad for £3m, but I hope we sign another forward too if we do bring him back. He's probably better suited to playing at wide right rather than as a CF anyway.

Bergkampwonderland10
16-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Does he count as 'homegrown'? would be happy to see him back…can take a place of 4th striker.

AKBapologist
11-06-2014, 09:18 AM
http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/11/carlos-vela-transfer-back-to-arsenal-confirmed-by-real-sociedad-chief-4757412/
He's coming home.

I am invisible
11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
As I said in the transfer thread, I'm still not 100% convinced that this isn't just some kind of negotiating tactic for something else yet, but if it is true then I'd be happy enough to give him another try - he looks like he's improved no end as a player, and you have to say that 21 goals and 13 assists (in all competitions) are big boy stats. To put that into perspective, I think Benzema got 26 goals and 13 assists last season, Alexis Sanchez got 21 goals and 14 assists, Pedro got 19 goals and 8 assists, Di Maria got 12 and 24, and Isco got 11 and 7, so he's holding his own with some pretty strong company (and doing it in a weaker side)...

Alpha
11-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Considering the fact that Diego Costa has had many unsuccessful loan spells and was under Falcao shadow at Atletico Madrid before he became good just last season , resigning an improved Carlos Vela can be a good thing for Arsenal . He has matured a lot and his confidence has dramatically improved too and will need no time for adaptation .
With Carlos in the bag , one more striker in the mould of Benzema or Balotelli or Morata or Jackson Martinez or even Wilfred Bony would be enough to complete the package with Giroud and Sanogo who are expected to be better next season .

Niall_Quinn
11-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Vela? I think on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of being uninspiring, he's a sure fire 10. Fine, sign him up. But let's not let this interfere with proper transfer business in any way.

fakeyank
11-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Vela? I think on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of being uninspiring, he's a sure fire 10. Fine, sign him up. But let's not let this interfere with proper transfer business in any way.

Why is he uninspiring? Is it because he costs less? Or because he played for us before? Or is it because he is Mexican? :lol:

His stats are among the best out there... so to me, its a great buy!

Niall_Quinn
11-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Is he the guy to take up the Wright, Bergkamp, Henry role and propel us up a level through his sheer brilliance? If yes, then great.

If no then, when are we making a proper signing?

Power n Glory
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Would Draxler or Griezmann count as a 'proper signing'?

Özil's Panoramic View
11-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Should provide proper cover down that right flank for a crocked Theo.

KSE Comedy Club
11-06-2014, 09:32 PM
The problem with vela is that, whilst yes, he is a nice and cheap signing if we do get him back and would be a good squad addition, there is a reason why he left in the first place.

Don't forget he also went out on loan the season before he left as well and still couldnt cut it in the PL.

He may have been playing well in Spain and have some good lookin stats, but it's a different climate and different style in Spain than it is over here.

He may well come in and perform just as well as he has been doing, or he may need some time to re-adapt to the PL and not be as great.

Either way, he isn't anywhere near the level or player we need to push us on and turn us into title winners

Power n Glory
11-06-2014, 09:53 PM
The problem with vela is that, whilst yes, he is a nice and cheap signing if we do get him back and would be a good squad addition, there is a reason why he left in the first place.

Don't forget he also went out on loan the season before he left as well and still couldnt cut it in the PL.

He may have been playing well in Spain and have some good lookin stats, but it's a different climate and different style in Spain than it is over here.

He may well come in and perform just as well as he has been doing, or he may need some time to re-adapt to the PL and not be as great.

Either way, he isn't anywhere near the level or player we need to push us on and turn us into title winners

That's understandable and he's not the one player that will make that difference to our title run but would Griezmann or Draxler be that difference?

I just don't see it and it will take more than one major signing to get us over that title hurdle. Vela record in the Prem isn't good because he never played. He only started 8 games when he went on loan to West Brom. That's not enough to form an overall opinion. I think if he were given the sort of chance given to Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Walcott, young players that struggled but Wenger kept giving game time, we might have seen a better outcome.

If we're going to talk about the Spanish league's quality, then we may need to adjust our expectations of Measut Ozil and maybe think twice about certain other players we've been linked with.

KSE Comedy Club
12-06-2014, 12:13 AM
It's not about the Spanish leagues quality. It's just a different game to the PL in terms of style, tolerance, etc.
A completely different climate to the PL in nearly all aspects.

Vela played plenty of games for us, not starting admittedly, but how many times did he start for west brom?
Maybe he didn't start and wasn't given the chances because he couldn't quite cut it....??? It's not unreasonable to suggest that to be the case.

Wenger clearly still saw something in him, hence the buy back clause. Maybe he needed to see if Vela could find his own way of sorting himself out, who knows.

I'm not dismissing him at all, as at £3.5m it's a bloody stupidly good deal!
However, griezman is clearly going to be an awsome player, but the jury is out on draxler.

I would say that based on the first time round, vela possibly won't be as good here as he is in Spain.

There are some reports that have him saying he wants to stay in Spain, so that may tell you all you need to know before it has even been confirmed one way or another.

KSE Comedy Club
12-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Some sites reporting that we are in negotiations for Jackson Martinez for £30m.

He would be my first choice tbh.

Also seen an article on caught offside, that we are set to make a u turn with regards to the Cesc buyback clause......

Who knows wtf is goin on tbh :shrug:

selassie
12-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Who knows wtf is goin on tbh :shrug:

Probably this......followed by Arsene commentating on the world cup....he'll be too busy to make signings :arry:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/30/article-2439529-1869E2B400000578-680_634x404.jpg

Injury Time
12-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Probably this......followed by Arsene commentating on the world cup....he'll be too busy to make signings :arry:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/30/article-2439529-1869E2B400000578-680_634x404.jpg
Did that start with Pod saying..."Just one drink Arsene baby, what could go wrong?" :ninja:

Oh and reports Vela doesn't want to come back :haha: <_< :blink:

Power n Glory
12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
It's not about the Spanish leagues quality. It's just a different game to the PL in terms of style, tolerance, etc.
A completely different climate to the PL in nearly all aspects.

Vela played plenty of games for us, not starting admittedly, but how many times did he start for west brom?
Maybe he didn't start and wasn't given the chances because he couldn't quite cut it....??? It's not unreasonable to suggest that to be the case.

Wenger clearly still saw something in him, hence the buy back clause. Maybe he needed to see if Vela could find his own way of sorting himself out, who knows.

I'm not dismissing him at all, as at £3.5m it's a bloody stupidly good deal!
However, griezman is clearly going to be an awsome player, but the jury is out on draxler.

I would say that based on the first time round, vela possibly won't be as good here as he is in Spain.

There are some reports that have him saying he wants to stay in Spain, so that may tell you all you need to know before it has even been confirmed one way or another.

It's different in Spain but I think it's unfair to say Vela's flourishing because of the league and not make that same distinction for Griezmann who plays in the same team and league. Why is he bound to be an awesome player?

Vela played 62 games for us. I don't know how many of them he started but I it wasn't a lot from what I recall. When I consider the amount of starts Denilson had and see that it can take a full season in the first team to see a players true potential (Ramsey) I don't think it's enough. As for his loan spell with West Brom, you should probably check out the amount of games Gibbs, Ramsey and Wilshere played when they were loaned out during a January window. Vela played 8 games but got 2 goals and 1 assist. Know idea how many games he started but it's not bad considering Wilshere played 14 games for Bolton. Unless it's a season long loan, I don't recall any of our players racking up huge appearance numbers.

Either way, that was then this is now. He might just be finding his feet at the right time. His international record for Mexico as a youth was always impressive. No idea if he wants to come back considering recent reports but he's an example of what annoys me about our youth development system.

I am invisible
12-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Obviously we can't dismiss the change in league and environment as one of the causes of his improvement as a player - I'm sure it played a big part at a key time for him when he needed a change. But isn't it equally (or more) likely that what we're seeing is simply the difference between an inexperienced teenager who was still learning the game, and a more experienced player in his mid-twenties, who has been a regular at a top-level club for several years, and has had a chance to develop?

Injury Time
12-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Obviously we can't dismiss the change in league and environment as one of the causes of his improvement as a player - I'm sure it played a big part at a key time for him when he needed a change. But isn't it equally (or more) likely that what we're seeing is simply the difference between an inexperienced teenager who was still learning the game, and a more experienced player in his mid-twenties, who has been a regular at a top-level club for several years, and has had a chance to develop?

Or that he's cheap, and his wage demands aren't those of Chav Fabregas?

Penguin
12-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Indeed, rightly or wrongly he wasn't given much of an opportunity in the first team here (and I don't count an odd 15 minute sub appearance here and there as an opportunity). Players like Cesc and Ramsey needed plenty of time and patience before they started producing the goods, so it's a bit unfair to say that Vela failed in the premier league when he didn't even get an opportunity to fail.

That said, I'm not so sure Vela is the right player for us. He's a similar type of player to Theo who is basically a wide CF who plays off the shoulder of the opponent's defence, but doesn't get involved much in the build up to the attack. That's not a bad thing necessarily but IMO we need someone who can take the game to the opponent and impose himself on the game more as well as making the runs in behind, and Theo and Vela aren't that type of player.

Bumble
12-06-2014, 04:20 PM
turn down resigning Cesc but resign Vela.... i can see it now.

I am invisible
12-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Indeed, rightly or wrongly he wasn't given much of an opportunity in the first team here (and I don't count an odd 15 minute sub appearance here and there as an opportunity). Players like Cesc and Ramsey needed plenty of time and patience before they started producing the goods, so it's a bit unfair to say that Vela failed in the premier league when he didn't even get an opportunity to fail.

That said, I'm not so sure Vela is the right player for us. He's a similar type of player to Theo who is basically a wide CF who plays off the shoulder of the opponent's defence, but doesn't get involved much in the build up to the attack. That's not a bad thing necessarily but IMO we need someone who can take the game to the opponent and impose himself on the game more as well as making the runs in behind, and Theo and Vela aren't that type of player.

I think we need both: one player who provides competition / cover for Walcott, and another player who's more like Oxlade-Chamberlain who runs at opponents and gets involved in the build up. The ideal balance for me would be to have one of each type of player on the wings each week. I know there's also Gnabry to think about, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable having him and the Ox as our two options for the runners - the two of them together would just be a little too raw for my liking.

(Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why I think Vela for £3.5m makes a tremendous amount of sense - because we won't be able to spend big on every area we need to buy for this summer, and this could make the difference between getting just one of those players and maybe being able to get both?)

Niall_Quinn
12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
turn down resigning Cesc but resign Vela.... i can see it now.

Getting the left-overs as usual. Richest guy in the house, rummaging in the bins.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm not buying into the Vela back to Arsenal deal at this point. It's a straight forward deal, even by our criminally low standards so is there any reason why if it is true it should not happen soon?

KSE Comedy Club
13-06-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm not buying into the Vela back to Arsenal deal at this point. It's a straight forward deal, even by our criminally low standards so is there any reason why if it is true it should not happen soon?

Because vela doesn't want to come back.

Grebbo
13-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Vela is quality and much better than when he left us. I never wanted to sell him.

Would be great to have him back and at a bargain price. He's more of a winger than a striker and we don't have many wingers.

Niall_Quinn
13-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Depends if he represents the sum total of our striker activity in this transfer window. If yes, then it's an epic disaster. If no, and he's here to literally chip in with +1s from the bench, okay, fine. But sticking the £3.5mill onto a contract for Fabregas would have made 1.5million percent times more sense.

Özim
13-06-2014, 08:23 AM
3 million quid is a no brainer, we buy unknown kids for more than that.

Injury Time
16-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Move to other football /thread.

Power n Glory
16-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Why add the clause in the first place? Pointless.

Marc Overmars
16-06-2014, 01:12 PM
A huge surprise we went for the option which involved us getting marginally richer.

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Money is rolling in boys! Shaping up to be a bumper summer.

Stan was on the phone earlier and said if the GW lads could chip together for Campell's air fare and cover his accommodation costs he's okay with bringing him in. He hinted if we don't have the money he might be prepared to take the shirts off our backs instead.

Xhaka Can’t
16-06-2014, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mID5B2MNmoY

McNamara That Ghost...
16-06-2014, 08:03 PM
We are such dicks to deal with.

Grebbo
17-06-2014, 04:45 AM
We are such dicks to deal with.

Tbh that was a pretty amazing deal from us. Did we get £8m + the original £3m they paid us so £11m in total for Mr Chips? A squad player that nobody minded us selling?

Dick Law is The Law.

Except I'd rather we had Vela, he's really improved since he left us.

Özim
17-06-2014, 10:36 AM
So we're cashing in on Vela now, a player worth way more than the 11 million we're getting. :rolleyes:

We're just getting our 42 million we spent on Ozil back at the moment, whoopeef*ckingdoo!

Heisenberg
17-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Well, tbf, I don't really think getting £8m for a player that we already sold is bad business. It's, like, free money. The only bone of contention is whether it was better to buy him back.

Gooner23
17-06-2014, 10:54 AM
If we get a top striker I won't mind this as I'd quite like to see Campbell come in as 3rd choice this season.

Özim
17-06-2014, 10:54 AM
He's worth a hefty amount now, we could get him for 3 million and sell him on for twice that in a year if we want to. He's a very good player though and could be handy.

Alpha
17-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Well, tbf, I don't really think getting £8m for a player that we already sold is bad business. It's, like, free money. The only bone of contention is whether it was better to buy him back.

The only downside of it is , apparently , we want to go for an unknown and inexperienced right back for this deal instead of Antoine Griezmann . If it is not a trick to fool our rivals , it would be very naif and silly to miss out on Griezmann for this deal . He is the next Robert Pires and won't come cheap later .