PDA

View Full Version : "Currants Bw..."

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131]

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2024, 03:48 PM
That sounds like an opinion to me... ;)

Allow me to present to you what Wikipedia says (all referenced as always):

"Through late 1967 and early 1968, Barrett became increasingly erratic, partly as a consequence of his heavy use of psychedelic drugs such as LSD.[13] Once described as joyful, friendly, and extroverted, he became increasingly depressed, withdrawn, and began experiencing hallucinations, disorganised speech, memory lapses, intense mood swings and periods of catatonia. Although the changes began gradually, according to several friends —including the Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright— he went missing for a long weekend and returned "a completely different person"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

Yes you’re right, it’s definitely an opinion. I can’t say comprehensively what was wrong with him…apart from anything else I never met the man.

From what I’ve watched/read about Barrett he was always an erratic, off the wall individual. But again even if this claim about personality change is accurate, it doesn’t necessarily imply drug induced psychosis

Now I’ve no doubt that some of the symptoms you’ve quoted would have been present whilst he was taking LSD, in large quantities it’s an extremely potent psychotropic substance. What I’m saying is that he didn’t present as in a state of psychosis after he became abstinent from taking this stuff and the subsequent period after it, leading up to his death. What presented (to me) was a childish dickhead, who never got over being booted out of the band

Mac76
09-09-2024, 03:49 PM
...Maybe you just have that unfortunate style where your opinions sound like emphatic statements. ...

...the pink Floyd discussion was actually more interesting

the word 'actually' sounds a bit 'emphatic' to me - don't you mean "i think the Pink Floyd discussion was more interesting"?

Mac76
09-09-2024, 03:51 PM
Yes you’re right, it’s definitely an opinion. I can’t say comprehensively what was wrong with him…apart from anything else I never met the man.

From what I’ve watched/read about Barrett he was always an erratic, off the wall individual. But again even if this claim about personality change is accurate, it doesn’t necessarily imply drug induced psychosis

it absolutely implies it, given his mood change coincided with the drug use - it's just that kind of stubborn denial of the facts that make you hard to take seriously :)

Letters
09-09-2024, 04:08 PM
I know people who won't listen to MJ now. I do understand that and, honestly, I think on balance of probability he probably was a wrong'un.
But on the basis that he was never convicted and that I like to think of him as a child-like eccentric, I'll keep playing Thriller thanks very much.
There's a bit of denial going on there, but there was so much conflicting information about him it's really hard to know what really did or didn't happen.

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2024, 04:10 PM
it absolutely implies it, given his mood change coincided with the drug use - it's just that kind of stubborn denial of the facts that make you hard to take seriously :)

Psychosis means break from reality, so no personality change is not a necessary or sufficient condition for it….given your personality can change and you can still have personal insight and be able to discern reality from fantasy.

And as I say there’s a difference between taking a drug that directly affects your perception and making it a permanent alteration.

For instance if you hallucinate on LSD that’s an effect of the drug, if you’re not taking the drug and are hallucinating it’s a psychotic break.

And again it’s one person’s testimony. And I’ve already said LSD might have aggravated what was already there, but again in my opinion when you read of his behaviour after he’d left Pink Floyd it’s far more redolent of neurotic than psychiatric malody.

What you can or can’t take seriously is of no interest to me frankly

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2024, 04:15 PM
I know people who won't listen to MJ now. I do understand that and, honestly, I think on balance of probability he probably was a wrong'un.
But on the basis that he was never convicted and that I like to think of him as a child-like eccentric, I'll keep playing Thriller thanks very much.
There's a bit of denial going on there, but there was so much conflicting information about him it's really hard to know what really did or didn't happen.

Each to their own

Personally I like Thriller but I still think he was a massive boy botherer who used his wealth and fame to diddle young boys

This doesn’t create a moral schism for me, because the song is still good even if the artist was not

Mac76
09-09-2024, 06:46 PM
I must admit, given the general hysteria over anything to do with kids (and i'm not just talking about HCZ :lol:) I am surprised that Wacko Jacko's music is still played in shops and there's even a musical etc.

I guess it's because nothing's proven re what he did/didn't do

I'm not bothered about his music but if i had to listen to one album it would be Off the Wall i think

Letters
09-09-2024, 07:31 PM
Off The Wall is arguably better than Thriller.
I think it’s that nothing was proven against him. And, unlike Saville, there aren’t scores of people coming forward to make allegations against him.
Saw him twice back in the day.

Letters
09-09-2024, 07:32 PM
#prayforharvey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cewlep7q8dyo

HCZ_Reborn
09-09-2024, 09:17 PM
James Earl Jones is dead

Letters
09-09-2024, 10:12 PM
:rose:

Coming to America :bow:

IBK
10-09-2024, 09:55 AM
Actually so did I

Remember this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/08/sol-campbell-london-mayor-election

:lol:

HCZ_Reborn
10-09-2024, 10:05 AM
Remember this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/08/sol-campbell-london-mayor-election

:lol:

Seb Coe only lasted five years as an MP

And Seb Coe he was not

HCZ_Reborn
11-09-2024, 02:14 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/31/mcdonalds-baby-name-menu-item-wisconsin-20197808/?ito=facebookimage&fbclid=IwY2xjawFOhFtleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHdhuUTqZefGb0 N7A5cBpxOgKP8mXCa3Yia0VVNVTnyO1geBwP-KB-7Xbng_aem_S_qXMz82ihyx7Kn5I7D2ow

Congratulations, your child is going to be beaten like a Chipperfield monkey at High school

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 06:20 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/31/mcdonalds-baby-name-menu-item-wisconsin-20197808/?ito=facebookimage&fbclid=IwY2xjawFOhFtleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHdhuUTqZefGb0 N7A5cBpxOgKP8mXCa3Yia0VVNVTnyO1geBwP-KB-7Xbng_aem_S_qXMz82ihyx7Kn5I7D2ow

Congratulations, your child is going to be beaten like a Chipperfield monkey at High school

Jeez, I haven't read the thread yet but you are endorsing metro. Really? That struck me immediately.

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 06:20 PM
James Earl Jones is dead

And?

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 06:45 PM
And?

And?

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 06:48 PM
James Earl Jones is dead - AND?
And we're provoking all out war with nuclear powered Russia?

AND?

Give me the AND. Or else admit to how incredibly shallow and unthinking you are.

Sorry for James and his family and all that - didn't know them, don't care, that's just me being honest in a way that defeats you. But how many Internet awards do you actually want? And what is their value, all stacked up? Is it greater than zero?

You fucking people. Such a massive problem.

HCZ_Reborn
14-09-2024, 07:11 PM
No idea who you are replying to, but if it’s me you’re wasting your time as I have you on ignore so you’re screaming into the void….which I’m sure must be a familiar experience for you.

Letters
14-09-2024, 07:58 PM
Give me the AND.
AND people who enjoyed his work felt some connection with him and therefore are a bit sad he died. That's it.
No-one's pretending they knew him, no-one has booked the week off work to mourn.
The irony is you're the one virtue signalling here - you want everyone to know that you're far too serious and above all this to care about trivia like a celebrity dying.
As if the people who do care about this stuff can't possibly understand there are bigger things going on in the world.
And, again, caring is not a binary thing - indifference and absolute devastation are not the only two options.
People saw the news, thought "oh that's a shame" and then got on with their lives.
I don't know how many times I have to explain that this is not where people come to talk about the important matters of the day.

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 10:56 PM
No idea who you are replying to, but if it’s me you’re wasting your time as I have you on ignore so you’re screaming into the void….which I’m sure must be a familiar experience for you.

Moron. If I'm on ignore then why are you responding? There are some things so obvious even you... Well maybe not.

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2024, 10:58 PM
AND people who enjoyed his work felt some connection with him and therefore are a bit sad he died. That's it.
No-one's pretending they knew him, no-one has booked the week off work to mourn.
The irony is you're the one virtue signalling here - you want everyone to know that you're far too serious and above all this to care about trivia like a celebrity dying.
As if the people who do care about this stuff can't possibly understand there are bigger things going on in the world.
And, again, caring is not a binary thing - indifference and absolute devastation are not the only two options.
People saw the news, thought "oh that's a shame" and then got on with their lives.
I don't know how many times I have to explain that this is not where people come to talk about the important matters of the day.

Fine. Thank you.

That's reasonable.

But with all the things that could be expressed, particularly during this turbulent repetition of history, I sometimes wonder what peoples priorities are. And it amazes me when I find out. And people who tell you your house is on fire may be doing it to boost their virtue, but probably not.

HCZ_Reborn
15-09-2024, 05:28 AM
Moron. If I'm on ignore then why are you responding? There are some things so obvious even you... Well maybe not.

Taken you off ignore to reply to this, because it’s like Mute on Twitter I can see you’ve posted but I get to choose whether or not I see what you’ve posted. For fuck sake, that should be obvious even to you.

HCZ_Reborn
15-09-2024, 05:44 AM
Fine. Thank you.

That's reasonable.

But with all the things that could be expressed, particularly during this turbulent repetition of history, I sometimes wonder what peoples priorities are. And it amazes me when I find out. And people who tell you your house is on fire may be doing it to boost their virtue, but probably not.

If you told me my house was on fire I’d know it was perfectly safe.

Honestly, you’re like a small child stamping their feet and demanding we pay attention to them

How many times does it need to be made clear to you, that just because you insist that we are on the precipice doesn’t make it so.

Putin’s threats about what will happen if our weapons are used by Ukraine to attack Russia are about as likely to be followed through as his threats of what would happen if Finland joined NATO. He didn’t attack Ukraine in response to NATO expansion, anymore than he did the threat of Nazism on his border…he did it because he doesn’t believe in Ukraine’s sovereignty and sees it as a part of greater Russia. Its garden variety Revanchism.

He thinks we are weak, he thought we would just look the other way whilst he took Kyiv in three days. In many ways we are weak, we looked the other way whilst he committed two acts of terrorism on our soil in order to prove to dissidents that there’s no where they could go to escape his reach…(a lot of dictators and thugs do this, Paul Kagame the president of Rwanda had a former ally murdered in South Africa).

For all your complaints about how it’s western governments that are the truly evil ones, no one has fitted you for concrete boots for saying this. Where as in Russia journalist, opposition politicians and those who speak out are often murdered and made to look like an Accident. Then again maybe they just decided you’re a pathetic loser who can’t even persuade a handful of people on a seldom used football messaging board of your arguments.

For the purpose of clarity, I’ll wait for your latest iteration of how im stupid, brainwashed, pliant what have you. Then you’re going back on ignore, it’s like engaging with my cousin…at least he’s family and there’s an obligation to make the effort

HCZ_Reborn
16-09-2024, 12:15 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cvgxg673y8et

Whilst I feel like saying he’s got off easy because of his celebrity status, it seems like Judges don’t want to hand down custodial sentences for downloading indecent images of children.

I do think there’s a genuine opportunity to actually use tough sentences as a deterrent to stop demand that leads to children being abused to begin with

Huw Edwards is a fucking wrong un, and I’ve no doubt someone like that will get caught again

Letters
16-09-2024, 01:20 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't custodial although apparently that is unusual in these cases.
I don't think famous people should get off lightly because they're famous - I've always been more of a "make an example of them" kinda guy, but maybe that's not really fair either.

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2024, 10:25 PM
If you told me my house was on fire I’d know it was perfectly safe.

Honestly, you’re like a small child stamping their feet and demanding we pay attention to them

How many times does it need to be made clear to you, that just because you insist that we are on the precipice doesn’t make it so.

Putin’s threats about what will happen if our weapons are used by Ukraine to attack Russia are about as likely to be followed through as his threats of what would happen if Finland joined NATO. He didn’t attack Ukraine in response to NATO expansion, anymore than he did the threat of Nazism on his border…he did it because he doesn’t believe in Ukraine’s sovereignty and sees it as a part of greater Russia. Its garden variety Revanchism.

He thinks we are weak, he thought we would just look the other way whilst he took Kyiv in three days. In many ways we are weak, we looked the other way whilst he committed two acts of terrorism on our soil in order to prove to dissidents that there’s no where they could go to escape his reach…(a lot of dictators and thugs do this, Paul Kagame the president of Rwanda had a former ally murdered in South Africa).

For all your complaints about how it’s western governments that are the truly evil ones, no one has fitted you for concrete boots for saying this. Where as in Russia journalist, opposition politicians and those who speak out are often murdered and made to look like an Accident. Then again maybe they just decided you’re a pathetic loser who can’t even persuade a handful of people on a seldom used football messaging board of your arguments.

For the purpose of clarity, I’ll wait for your latest iteration of how im stupid, brainwashed, pliant what have you. Then you’re going back on ignore, it’s like engaging with my cousin…at least he’s family and there’s an obligation to make the effort

Is this you ignoring me agian?

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2024, 10:35 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't custodial although apparently that is unusual in these cases.
I don't think famous people should get off lightly because they're famous - I've always been more of a "make an example of them" kinda guy, but maybe that's not really fair either.

It;'s hardly surprising these sick fucks have no issues with bending over and taking a direct feed they will they repeat as news. When your character is broken your influence on the world is undesirable. I wonder how many sick fucks are lurking in the sick BBC? More than we know, given how vehemently they cover for them.

HCZ_Reborn
17-09-2024, 03:25 PM
So news out of Lebanon that many Hezbollah operatives have been badly injured by Exploding Pagers (Hacked by Mossad apparently). Now given many of them were being stored in their trouser pockets, the hospital in Beirut is going to be busy dealing with guys with exploded dicks.

I’ve not been in the best of moods today, but have to say this has cheered me up no end