User Tag List

Page 1402 of 1402 FirstFirst ... 402902130213521392140014011402
Results 14,011 to 14,018 of 14018

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s actually a film coming out about the Nuremberg Trial and about how the army psychologists did regular checks on the defendants to assess their suitability to stand trial. Now Rudolf Hess who flew over to Britain in 1941 and was kept as a prisoner of war until moved back to Germany for the trial, actually feigned amnesia….claimed that he didn’t even remember his wife when she came to visit him (although quickly and conveniently regained his memory)

But what came out was that there was something ingrained in Germans culturally to be obedient and not question authority or orders. But it was more than that, it wasn't that obedience overrode the ethical considerations…the ethical considerations just weren’t there. Rudolf Hoess who was the commandant of Auschwitz, wasn’t a defendant at Nuremberg but he was brought in as a character witness, and under cross examination was completely matter of fact about what he did.
    Not in a ranting scene chewing act of villainy, but just very coldly stated the methodical process of exterminating Jews in the most efficient way.

There were those at the trial who tried to deny the extent of their own involvement (like Goering) and some who were still so supportive of Nazi ideology that they proudly boasted about what they did. But there were some like Hoess, who actually couldn’t conceive of having done anything wrong (well that was until just before his execution where he readopted his Catholic faith, and renounced Nazism)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    But what came out was that there was something ingrained in Germans culturally to be obedient and not question authority or orders.
    Wait...so you're saying I'm German?
    (One for NQ, there).

While we are here, I don't really see the value in wheeling in these people in their late 90s and prosecuting them 80 years after the fact. Wasn't the recent one some typist or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wait...so you're saying I'm German?
    (One for NQ, there).

While we are here, I don't really see the value in wheeling in these people in their late 90s and prosecuting them 80 years after the fact. Wasn't the recent one some typist or something?
    Unless you’re talking about someone like John Demenjuk (there was a documentary on him on Netflix) I tend to agree. In fact the allies could have put far more Nazis on trial than they did post Second World War, it’s a case of where do you draw the line if Germany is ever going to be able to recover (thus a recognition in part that the war reparations after ww1 did in some way lead to Hitler coming to power).

But if you were a guard at Maunthausen, you probably did some shit you weren’t proud of (or at least shouldn’t be) but you wouldn’t have been there by choice and the fact is you’re going to die soon anyway. The question has to be asked….whats the point.

Even today Sometimes compromises are made and people get away with terrible things, to prevent chaos and potential civil war. A lot of corrupt African dictators are given an off ramp to allow them to retire in exile rather than cause a bloodbath in the street between loyalist and rebel soldiers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this has what to do with Arsenal exactly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Your GW pedant of the year certificate is in the post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Brilliant

K***'s lived off dodgy pels and tap-ins his whole career

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Like PL refs, I admit I'm not always that consistent.
    When it comes to when I split threads...I dunno, this one is so rambling anyway that it doesn't seem to matter that much if it gets a bit off topic here and there.
    I split out your and HCZ's bickering in the prediction thread because it actually made it hard to find the predictions amid all that.
    In brief: Meh.