Page 487 of 487 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487
Results 4,861 to 4,867 of 4867

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    His point in the video is that the Tories were doing it - and doing it at an industrial scale compared to Starmer.
    Johnson's flat renovations cost more than Starmer has claimed in 5 years.
    As I said, it's Whataboutism. It does look tone deaf in the current climate.
    You’re right it is whataboutery and whataboutery is not a defence. Yet people like O’Brien will constantly use it as a fall back in the absence of a substantive defence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    You’re right it is whataboutery and whataboutery is not a defence. Yet people like O’Brien will constantly use it as a fall back in the absence of a substantive defence
    Yeah, I don't think "But Johnson was even worse", while true, is a particularly good defence.
    As I said, we can't do anything in my organisation. Even down to silly things like if we want to have a "team dinner" it has to all be approved - one time I think we literally all had to pay individually on our individual work cards, otherwise someone would have been over the spending limit and there would have been a kerfuffle. One time I went to Sri Lanka and for some reason we were all using the wrong meal rate so most evenings I'd spent a bit more than I should have - obviously we're talking about a place where things are pretty cheap anyway, so we're talking pounds here and there. My line manager queried it and I pointed out I'd gone sodding economy class - I was entitled to Premium - so that saved the organisation £1000 so how about she shut the hell up*! Which she did.

I'm just ranting now - I guess the point is the level of scrutiny we are under is insane. Especially as actually as much as I enjoy winding people up about jetting round the world at the tax-payers' expense that actually isn't true. We are mostly kept going by an exams business and most of the money comes from there, not the government. I raise an eyebrow that people who are actually paid by the tax-payer and are able to make or influence policy are allowed to accept so much free stuff like this.

*I didn't phrase it quite like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The public sector is a strange beast, it’s both ultra vigilant and blithely ignorant about perception of impropriety and conflict of interest

If you were getting gifts from a company putting out to tender for a government contract, whilst it’s clearly bribery…it’s the kind of bribery that the general public is less likely to find out about, unless some investigative journalist found receipts for lobster dinners, first class suites, magnums of bollinger and Thai masseuses that you had been the recipient of. And that you weren’t just one person but a cog in the pipeline of a whole culture of gifts for access.

With a politician the potential for quid pro quo is evidently more explicit, especially so the leader of the opposition and prime minister. So you have on two fronts a) this doesn’t look good when you’re not helping Bert with Arthritis out with the leccy bills anymore and b) what did the guy who bought your glasses and your wife that frock want in return? Just lunch on the commons terrace roof, did they also want you to look favourably on some kind of regulatory issue tying up their business in red tape?.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit late now...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged