User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arsenal 4-2 Leicester Player Rating and Match Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I agree that isn't a booking. But Trossard didn't prevent a quick restart either.
    That’s the point. How can you quote letter of the law for one and say oh we don’t want to see players sent off for the other

I do agree with punishing time wasting but clear and obvious time wasting….like smashing the ball half way up the pitch long after the whistle has gone. Something that they wanted to penalise presumably in good faith has become officious and arbitrary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    "If you book players for that, you'll have a lot of players sat in the stands this season".

Yeah. For 2 weeks, until they wise up.

This kind of thinking infuriates me.

Like, when the back pass law was introduced, there was utter chaos for a while, until keepers started learning how to use their feet or getting benched for those that could.

Nowadays, being able to use your feet is a fundamental skill for a 'keeper and we wonder how we ever tolerated shit like Denmark pulled in Euro 92.

The same principle applies to disciplining players for breaching laws.

All you'd have to do is apply an incredibly strict interpretation of the law and make it clear that this is they way we're doing it from now on. Kick the ball after the whistle has blown? You're booked. Complain afterwards? Off. Already on a yellow? Off.

The first weekend this applied, you'd see 100 yellows and about 10 reds.

The second weekend, you'd see 50 yellows and 5 reds.

After that, we'd be back to normal and we'd wonder how we tolerated blatant timewasting for so long.

Same applies to dissent.

Talk to the ref when you're not the captain? Automatic yellow.

Swear at him? Off.

We wonder why refereeing standards are so poor, it's because the way you progress as a ref isn't based on skill, it's based on being able to deal with vile, hate-filled abuse from all sides on a twice-weekly basis (also skin colour, but that's another discussion).

The person who's really good at deciding what a foul is but refuses to put up with being called every name under the sun, being offered out in car parks and having no power to deal with it is going to pack it in, whereas someone who's not as skilled but has thicker skin is going to stick around.

Every week we see refs being screamed at by professional athletes and just putting up with it, if they had it within their power to send the fuckers off if they refuse to show respect, that would filter down to the lower levels and good refs would actually start working their way up the ranks.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    if they had it within their power to send the fuckers off if they refuse to show respect
    Don't they?

I agree with your post, but don't they have that power already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Don't they?

I agree with your post, but don't they have that power already?
    Technically yes, but presumably any individual ref would be disciplined for not following procedure if they went off on their own. You need the PGMOL to state clearly and unequivically what the new guidelines are regarding dissent, and for it to be enforced without exception from then on.

That would then filter down to the grass roots level. Rugby refs don't get abuse even there, from what I've heard.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a funny one because for years - decades really - this has been an issue in the game.
    And there have been repeated proclamations that they're going to get tough on this sort of thing and then they just...don't.
    No-one seems to have the balls to send off 4 players in a game until the idiots learn to behave themselves. The culture of abuse of refs is so ingrained in the game.