Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145
Results 1,441 to 1,446 of 1446

Thread: Euro 2024

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Was reading a lot about Capello’s time as coach. And there’s a lot of parallels between him and Wenger in the early days in the way he tried to change the culture. In his case the inter-club rivalries and cliques as well as the diet. I think that works at club level when you’re with the players day in day out for nine months. But when you have a group of players for maybe a month during international tournaments, all they get is resentment towards this spiky Italian dude who barely understands the language being this austere, dictatorial figure.
    The main problem back in those days was the players simply did not enjoy playing for England as they found it difficult to disconnect from the intensity of their club rivalries. One thing I’d give Southgate is that he seems to have fostered more of a club atmosphere amongst the team now which makes things a lot more palatable. Though I also think that’s because the modern player is different now and less tribal, they all seem to be best mates.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; Today at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to do with anything really but this bloke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Antwi

Is the dad of one of the boy's classmates (well, they were in the same class last year - they mixed up the classes this year and they now in different classes).

Don't really know him, know the mum a bit. She's literally a WAG! He's out there right now with the team, sounds like he works reasonably closely with Southgate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Nothing to do with anything really but this bloke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Antwi

Is the dad of one of the boy's classmates (well, they were in the same class last year - they mixed up the classes this year and they now in different classes).

Don't really know him, know the mum a bit. She's literally a WAG! He's out there right now with the team, sounds like he works reasonably closely with Southgate.
    enjoy the reflected glory while it lasts, win or lose he'll be out with Southgate and Johnny Vegas soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    they all seem to be best mates.
    ...right up to the point where they're putting the studs and elbows in, diving and trying to get each other sent off

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very dimly reflected
    I saw the mum today and she said he might be home on Thursday! I said I reckon that's quite likely.
    They've just had a baby so I guess she probably doesn't want him away too long. Apparently he aspires to be a manager.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The main problem back in those days was the players simply did not enjoy playing for England as they found it difficult to disconnect from the intensity of their club rivalries. One thing I’d give Southgate is that he seems to have fostered more of a club atmosphere amongst the team now which makes things a lot more palatable. Though I also think that’s because the modern player is different now and less tribal, they all seem to be best mates.
    I don't think that should be underestimated. It's probably the biggest achievement of Arteta. He's not a really top manager, but we've spent a lot of money and he's managed to get a real togetherness in the squad, this translates to a relationship being restored between the club and fans.