Page 162 of 184 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1838

Thread: Euro 2024

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    well in that one (admittedly important) instance yes but the ref didn't buy his pathetic diving the rest of the time tbf
    I don't deny that Kane is a diver, I don't think he's been particularly bad in that regard this tournament. He's just generally not been that effective.
    Whether it's the style we're playing or coming back from a knock I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't deny that Kane is a diver, I don't think he's been particularly bad in that regard this tournament. He's just generally not been that effective.
    Whether it's the style we're playing or coming back from a knock I'm not sure.
    I know you think it's just the spuds thing with Kane for me, but it isn't, while i think neither Walker or Trippier have been great it's Kane for me that's been the standout fail of every England lineup in this tournament

people can argue about which midfield/forward players should start and in which position, but for as long as they've very little attacking outlet because the striker is slow, keeps dropping back and basically is only good for the occasional straightforward tap-in or pelanty, they are going to struggle

It's the same reason i go on about Zin, if I see a particular weak point in a team, the weakest link in the chain, I do get a bit obssessed by it but not without very good reason

Surely no one can think we wouldn't have been better if we'd been playing either Watkins or Toney up front all tournament

I'm not a person who takes much delight in seeing a side win badly, this isn't a lower league team pubbing a cup win against a Man City, this is a team who should win by playing the best football and maximising its resources and Kane is the biggest example of how Southgate's England is consistently failing to do it

Yes, they're gradually improving but for as long as they don't start Watkins or Toney they can only improve so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you think it's just the spuds thing with Kane for me, but it isn't, while i think neither Walker or Trippier have been great it's Kane for me that's been the standout fail of every England lineup in this tournament

people can argue about which midfield/forward players should start and in which position, but for as long as they've very little attacking outlet because the striker is slow, keeps dropping back and basically is only good for the occasional straightforward tap-in or pelanty, they are going to struggle

It's the same reason i go on about Zin, if I see a particular weak point in a team, the weakest link in the chain, I do get a bit obssessed by it but not without very good reason

Surely no one can think we wouldn't have been better if we'd been playing either Watkins or Toney up front all tournament

I'm not a person who takes much delight in seeing a side win badly, this isn't a lower league team pubbing a cup win against a Man City, this is a team who should win by playing the best football and maximising its resources and Kane is the biggest example of how Southgate's England is consistently failing to do it

Yes, they're gradually improving but for as long as they don't start Watkins or Toney they can only improve so far
    No it’s not the Spurs thing, you just take against an individual and then you refuse to acknowledge anything positive about them. And given we couldn’t get midfield passing properly and still can’t pass out from the back well, it almost seems precipitous to have Kane as the biggest problem given how little we have created in this tournament overall and the joke is Kane is also joint top scorer in this competition whilst being terrible.

Kane has been poor in this tournament no doubt, but the way you’ve singled him out when he takes his place alongside Trippier and before last night Walker and Foden in being poor. The main reason he stands out is your personal dislike of him that’s been pretty evident on here for a while. Now it’s your opinion which you’re entitled to, but if you’re trying to tell me it’s an objective one? Well I’d say don’t piss up my back and tell me it’s raining

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're here, don’t piss up my back at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're here, don’t piss up my back at all.

And @hcz, once again you unerringing go full steam ahead in the wrong direction, ignoring or missing the point, which is that if those midfielders, whoever they are, have Kane coming back and getting in their way and not being upfront keeping defenders busy and making runs, it massively limits their options

Even the Arsenal midfield couldn't create much for a while last season (remember how we were all saying we needed to sign a striker in the Jan window) umtil Havertz and Trossard discovered their scoring boots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And @hcz, once again you unerringing go full steam ahead in the wrong direction, ignoring or missing the point, which is that if those midfielders, whoever they are, have Kane coming back and getting in their way and not being upfront keeping defenders busy and making runs, it massively limits their options

Even the Arsenal midfield couldn't create much for a while last season (remember how we were all saying we needed to sign a striker in the Jan window) umtil Havertz and Trossard discovered their scoring boots
    No that’s you trying to make Kane fit into your model of everything going wrong and trying to deflect your over simplification onto me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't tell me that after what Watkins showed in 10 minutes any sane person wouldn't want to have more of that
    Well, yes I can, because you actually specified 10 minutes. You can't come to any conclusions after 10 minutes. BUT, you can come to many conclusions given the cancer Pep ball has introduced into world football (apart from the South Americans). We all seem to be afflicted. Tip tap, tip tap, and so on. The death of football and all that. BUT, pace and directness unhinges Pep's bullshit. So you definitely have a chance against any "modern" team these days of you just do some obvious things. And one of those obvious things for England is playing a mobile centre forward, which is NOT Harry Kane. So could be Watkins, could be Toney, could be any number of PL players who fill that role. They'd all do a better job than the tourist who's secured his shirt based on politics and the media rather than performance on the pitch. But once those politics and media and, not to mention, corporate sponsorship, enters the fray, it must be difficult for a manager to bench the cash cow.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Not even talking about Kane. Watkins is 5ft 11, not exactly a prodigious header of the ball. The claim is whether had we started with Watkins whether the game would have turned out differently, and I don’t think it would because there would have been less space for him to operate in. I’d have started with Toney and Watkins with the latter drifting left.

The very simple point is that a player with pace was an effective impact sub.
    Kane doesn't get in the box to head the ball, so who cares what height Watkins is? You CANNOT have a passenger at this level. It eventually comes back to bite you in the rase. Kane has been a passenger throughout the tournament and that's easy enough to see for anyone lacking an agenda. Not saying he's not got a great record and has done the business many times before. But he's not doing it now, and now is what matters. So he should definitely be benched. But I think certain people would lose much cash if that happened, so it won't happen. Never forget, football as a sport died many decades ago. It's now a business. So we can talk about perfomances and tactics all we want, but these aren't the primary concerns. Fans will never be on the same page as the demons who own the game.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even that American woman who does the explanations of the decisions said before he went to look at the monitor that it wasn't a penalty. It was a very strange one. That said, we were much the better team in the first half and the Dutch had ages to get a second goal and barely threatened so I don't think overall they can feel that hard done by. It's like us against West Ham and Newcastle last year. Yes, it's possible that the ball was out before the goals were scored but we had ages to turn it round and didn't. If it had been a late penalty which won us the game then there's more cause for complaint, but it wasn't.
    That was hilarious. Some yank tart piping up about our football. Couldn't make it up. I spotted that and thought, WTF is going on????
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you defining “our” there?