Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aston Villa 0-2 Arsenal Player Rating and Match Reaction

Raya 8.5 - Probably would have lost this game if not for him

Timber 6.5 - Physically solid, but not great on the ball

Saliba 8 - Made some vital interceptions

Gabriel 6 - Utter brain fart first half

White 7 - Solid as usual

Partey 6.5 - Took his goal well but not really the player who would control games

Rice 6 - Got beasted by Morgan Rodgers

Odegaard 7 - Good performance, would have been very good if it hadn’t blazed out

Martinelli 5.5 - I don’t know what the issue is, lacking form, lacking confidence

Saka 7.5 - Unlucky not to be on score sheet, perhaps tried to be too elaborate with second half chance

Havertz 6.5 - Well marshalled by Villa defence

Subs

Trossard 7.5 - Not impressed with the sulking, but took his goal well

Calafiori 6 - Not on long enough to have a chance to make an impression

Nelson - N/A - Not worth giving a score to.

The result was very good, the performance not so good. I think we allowed Villa to bully us with the high press, and a lot of teams would have punished us for that. If not for Raya I don’t see there’s anyway we wouldn’t have lost this game and frankly deservedly so. It’s not just the lack of attacking options, it’s the lack of grit in midfield. Neither Rice or Partey could play out from the back very well under pressure. Maybe we need someone like Merino to come in and give us some balls.

We rode our luck though, and took our chances second half so suppose shouldn’t be too upset. But can’t perform like this and expect anything but an arse kicking when we go to City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think given both Partey and Rice's performances Merino is looking increasingly important and i can see why we're after him

Trossard absolutely has to start next time out and Martinelli put on cup duty plus games like Ipswich at home

Timber will get better, he's having to do that inverted LB stuff so will need time

Apart from Saka and Raya none of them are at top level though, we can only hope they get there quickly or it's defeat at Spuds and Citeh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Raya 8.5 - Probably would have lost this game if not for him

Timber 6.5 - Physically solid, but not great on the ball

Saliba 8 - Made some vital interceptions

Gabriel 6 - Utter brain fart first half

White 7 - Solid as usual

Partey 6.5 - Took his goal well but not really the player who would control games

Rice 6 - Got beasted by Morgan Rodgers

Odegaard 7 - Good performance, would have been very good if it hadn’t blazed out

Martinelli 5.5 - I don’t know what the issue is, lacking form, lacking confidence

Saka 7.5 - Unlucky not to be on score sheet, perhaps tried to be too elaborate with second half chance

Havertz 6.5 - Well marshalled by Villa defence

Subs

Trossard 7.5 - Not impressed with the sulking, but took his goal well

Calafiori 6 - Not on long enough to have a chance to make an impression

Nelson - N/A - Not worth giving a score to.

The result was very good, the performance not so good. I think we allowed Villa to bully us with the high press, and a lot of teams would have punished us for that. If not for Raya I don’t see there’s anyway we wouldn’t have lost this game and frankly deservedly so. It’s not just the lack of attacking options, it’s the lack of grit in midfield. Neither Rice or Partey could play out from the back very well under pressure. Maybe we need someone like Merino to come in and give us some balls.

We rode our luck though, and took our chances second half so suppose shouldn’t be too upset. But can’t perform like this and expect anything but an arse kicking when we go to City
    A pretty good review, though I'd say Martinelli's contribution was in no way worse than Havertz, so I'd give both of them a 5.5.

That Morgan Rodgers kid was really impressive though and it was quite strange to see him routinely bullying both Rice and Partey...it would be nice to consider having someone with those kind of attributes in our squad....oh well, we won and that's what matters ... on to the next game!
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 24-08-2024 at 11:06 PM.