Thread: Match reaction v Man City (away), Player ratings too

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Match reaction v Man City (away), Player ratings too

Haven't done one of these for a while.

Referees deciding when to apply laws of the game and when they don't is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Anyway, some performance to come away with something.

I think Trossard only misses the Bolton game right?

How Haaland avoided a cumulative red too, such a mystery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh I forgot about the Bolton game. Yes I think you’re right.

It’s usually me that does the match report/player ratings but just as you didn’t duplicate my match thread, I won’t duplicate your post match thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can edit in player ratings too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Haven't done one of these for a while.

Referees deciding when to apply laws of the game and when they don't is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Anyway, some performance to come away with something.

I think Trossard only misses the Bolton game right?

How Haaland avoided a cumulative red too, such a mystery.
    Its clear everyone has been bought in this league. I mean it takes the league 4 years to bring simple charges against Citeh that are as clear as day, while Leicester's only took like 4 months or so !!

Just seen it somewhere (not sure it was here) that Oliver has lucrative summer engagements in the Middle East. Should this be allowed??!

Its ridiculous that we've faced this hostility unchecked for almost 3 decades both nationally and internationally and even the media backs this up with a narrative of us being *******s and bad sports....something every so called big club gets away with but not us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can edit in player ratings too.
    What's the point of this.

The ref ensured Raya would end up Man of the match.

Partey created like 3 or 4 great chances for Citeh and was clearly the worst player on the pitch.

At the end of the day all the players can still hold their heads up high seeing as they played against the whole world and still managed to get a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raya - 7.5 - Nothing he could do about either goal, made two good saves when City were pressing us in our own box

Timber - 7 - Solid

Saliba - 7 - Also Solid

Gabriel - 8 - Another great set piece moment, despite Walker digging him in the ribs

Calafiori - 7 - Got caught too far forward at times in the first half (but I guess that’s part of his role) how anyone can say that was anything but a clear shot on goal I do not know.

Rice 6.5 - Never had the opportunity to impose himself on the game

Partey 7 - Niggly at times, but seems to like these roll your sleeves up games

Trossard 5 - Silly to kick the ball like that when on a yellow, as unfair and petty as it is. Though I suspect Oliver would have sent him off anyway for the high crime of stopping a city break

Martinelli 6 - No real chance to demonstrate much, though got himself an assist

Saka 7 - Equally no chance to really prove much, though I think his corner taking is excellent

Havertz 6.5 - Worked hard (as he generally does) but not much to show from it

It’s hard to comment on a game where a referee has so unduly influenced it, there are probably two things to say…as much as without Oliver’s influence we could and probably would have won but without Rodri I think City would not have given away their lead…he really is something special and so hopefully he’s out for some considerable time.

A city team without De Bruyne and without Rodri is beatable.

From our perspective, we didn’t panic….yes we gave them the ball a few times and had to bailed out by Raya but they were pressing us in our own six yard box and we had absolutely zero attacking outlet.

This is not a discussion for today because I don’t think it’s that germane to today’s game but we do need to address the balance between defence and attack. I think there’s an element that we are doing so with Calafiori who gets forward like Zinchenko but is far less of a defensive liability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    What's the point of this.

The ref ensured Raya would end up Man of the match.

Partey created like 3 or 4 great chances for Citeh and was clearly the worst player on the pitch.

At the end of the day all the players can still hold their heads up high seeing as they played against the whole world and still managed to get a draw.
    Havertz and Timber deserve praise for their no completed passes. Generational.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, my initial thoughts - having not seen it - is that this is a terrific result in a game where the card was very much stacked against us - whether by incompetence or corruption isn't relevant, it's clear that the ref was doing his best to stop us winning, which he succeeded in doing. Away games vs Villa, Spurs and City already done and it's 7 points out of nine. We've only failed to win 2 league games and both times the ref intervened to stop us. So far, so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havertz and Timber deserve praise for their no completed passes. Generational.
    Yeah just seen the stat

https://www.skysports.com/football/l...-and-contracts

Something similar happened in the Tottenham game, where they mentioned we broke our record for fewest passes ever completed in a half or something like that.... anyway letting it slide for this game seeing as it was 10 men against the whole establishment...I mean who could have guessed that issuing frivolous red cards would be the new way of fixing games ???
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; Today at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 points from 3 of the toughest away games we’ll have all season is a great showing.

It was an incredible effort but sometimes football is a sickener. I think the way Man City celebrated that draw shows they have a lot of respect for us.

On we go, some kinder fixtures to come now thankfully.