Chamberlain is showing her age!
    I mean, she's 57 so fair enough.
    Cat Deeley hasn’t aged well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither have I
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Neither have I
    But you aren't dead. When can you promise us you'll be dead and the world will be better?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y9x6zrkrro

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why as tempting as it is for certain cases, the death penalty is a bad idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y9x6zrkrro

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why as tempting as it is for certain cases, the death penalty is a bad idea.

In Japan there is no set execution date, so you wake up every morning thinking it might be your last

In the UK, the death penalty was the prescribed sentence for murder (in that I don’t think sentence guidelines didn’t allow for any other punishment). In Japan, it’s usually multiple murders that result in a death sentence. The worrying thing is that the conviction rate in Japan is very high, and probably contributes to that if like in this case….police plant “evidence”
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; Yesterday at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of the death penalty, the second person was executed by Nitrogen asphyxiation. Now what’s painful about asphyxiation is not being unable to take in oxygen, it’s being unable to expel carbon dioxide. But the problem here in lies that a painless death would be dependent on someone not being aware of what’s happening to them. Pilots at high altitude have experienced hypoxia and it’s very similar to alcohol intoxication, impaired judgement and coordination. But if you know what’s happening you will struggle and you will suffocate slowly.

The interesting thing is that is that this execution took place in Alabama, which on the same night executed someone via lethal injection. The nitrogen asphyxia method was proposed because state correctional facilities were struggling to get supplies of the drugs used in these execution.

Which tend to be a three drug cocktail of Sodium Pentothal (later replaced with pentobarbital), Pancuronium Bromide and Potassium Chloride (to stop the heart)

An anaesthetic, a paralysing agent and a poison.

However this is more commonly being replaced by the overdose of anaesthesia as used in the Chinese execution method

And it’s the thiopental or the pentobarbital that a lot of suppliers will not supply for the purpose of killing people

Yet apparently that didn’t seem to be the issue in Alabama. A lot of states do retain alternative execution methods that death row inmates can opt for. A lot of the southern states still retain Old Sparky as a back up option, In Utah there is the option of the firing squad (which given the numerous botched executions by lethal injection, the certainty if not the bloodiness makes it more of a humane way of dispatch).

A couple of states like Washington and Delaware even carried out hangings as recently as 1996.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My view on Capital Punishment is that whilst there are people who deserve to die for what they’ve done, the state essentially brings itself down to the level of the criminal by terminating their life.

I think there are rare occasions, where someone has been found guilty of crimes against humanity by an international court that it would be permissible for their life to be forfeit, to say “we cannot and will not share this world with you”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure France used the guillotine in my lifetime.
    I've heard about this asphyxiation method and know it's pretty controversial. Although as discussed I think any method is pretty controversial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In sillier news, this is a work of genius:

https://www.nathanmediaservices.co.uk/ceefax/