User Tag List

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A fallacy quashed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    Chelsea and City weren't above us until they started spending silly amounts of money.
    Niether should they have been this season, even with the current squad.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Me dear old friend, do ye not know that City and Chelsea's millions motivated fulham, aston villa etc. to nick points off us when we were sitting comfortably in 2nd place above the money bags?

‘Arsene was very cautious and David was very ambitious for the club,’ said former director Keith Edelman, managing director at the time. ‘He was very good at getting Arsene into a position where he was comfortable spending money.’

The board have said if wenger identifies a player he really wants and he needs the money it's there. Wenger doesn't think it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it seemed like we were an RVP injury away from dropping out of the top 4 all together. I think we all over estimated the strength of our squad players tbh, and neither of those two stood still during winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budesonide View Post
    Me dear old friend, do ye not know that City and Chelsea's millions motivated fulham, aston villa etc. to nick points off us when we were sitting comfortably in 2nd place above the money bags?

Stupid me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid me
    There form improved after making signings - improved the buzz around the stadium, improved competition

Ours (and United's for that matter, who were practically unbeaten in the first half of the season) form got worse when we didn't make any signings. Not buying a center back was a costly gamble, one our competitors wouldn't have thought about taking tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    There form improved after making signings - improved the buzz around the stadium, improved competition

Ours (and United's for that matter, who were practically unbeaten in the first half of the season) form got worse when we didn't make any signings. Not buying a center back was a costly gamble, one our competitors wouldn't have thought about taking tbh.
    No. We bottled it. Full stop. In actual fact the defenders we had before January were available soon afterwards. And it didn't coinside with our poor form.

We sodded up the cup final (a game we should have comfortably won) and then bottled it.

Maybe we could have made a signing or two to push us on. But that was nothing to do with having a fucking sugar daddy FFS. That was to do with Wenger taking a gamble, and foolishly believing in his team.

There were many reasons why this team didn't win anything. The inability to spend 150million in January was not one of them. You're clouding your argument.

does everyone believe we should have strengthened in Jan?? Yes. Did we need a sugar daddy to do that?? No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    One of those clubs was already above Arsenal.
    Ok. But then why mention their spending?

And was their spending not contributory to their already above us position anyway?

And even while 2nd were we not still challenging for first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not mention their spending.

However, I think that the premise is that Arsenal would have done better if they had spent more money (especially if it had been Chelsea or Man City levels).
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I did not mention their spending.

However, I think that the premise is that Arsenal would have done better if they had spent more money (especially if it had been Chelsea or Man City levels).
    I know you didn't! I'm talking about Charlie's post.

And I think the premise of Charlie's post was that we still wouldn't have won anything irrespective of Chelsea (and Man Utds) money.