User Tag List

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thatcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arse n Wonga View Post
    All countries look after their own interests at the end of the day, politicians have a duty to their own people and not those abroad, as harsh as that sounds it's the way of the world as it's them that elect them.

I don't necessarily think that should be the way, but it is and will probably remain so. Maggie Thatcher wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last to make questionnable decisions.
    I'm sure she also excelled there as well, so much so that there is no vastly split opinion about her. Loved and revered by the British people en masse.

Let's have a gut busting laugh at anti-apartheid twats that tried to revile and malign her.
    Last edited by Özil's Panoramic View; 11-04-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arse n Wonga View Post
    All countries look after their own interests at the end of the day, politicians have a duty to their own people and not those abroad, as harsh as that sounds it's the way of the world as it's them that elect them.

I don't necessarily think that should be the way, but it is and will probably remain so. Maggie Thatcher wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last to make questionnable decisions.
    There is no denying that most governments are involved in arms trading but let’s cut the crap about the woman understanding the complexities of the conflict in South Africa when it all probably boils down to money and being able to exploit a conflict.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    They're terrorists because they tried to bring about their aims through the use of terror as opposed to peaceful means.
    That's pretty much what the term means.

Whether they had other options, whether the means were justified are separate debates as is whether the state should be considered terrorists too.
    So....what about the Syrian's that are fighting against their government?

The ANC started off as a peacful group from what I've read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    What about them?

I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ANC were totally justified in their actions IMO (I know that's not exactly what the debate is about). Any state that deprives their citizens of basic human rights based on the colour of their skin deserves to be opposed, and peaceful methods don't always work.

I wonder whether those who call the ANC terrorists would say the same about the Italian partisans fighting Mussolini and the fascist regime in Italy during WW2.
    Last edited by Joker; 10-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is classic Letters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    What about them?

I'm not sure how that's relevant.
    It relates back to what GB said about tactics borne out of a situation and if they were once peaceful, it says something about the regime they were up against. But regardless of all that, let's not pretend Thatcher was being guided by some moral compass on this one, as if her conscience couldn't bear the thought of aiding 'terrorists'. She had no problems helping Saddam and Pinochet.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post

I'm by no means clued up on Syria, but aren't lots of the "Free Syrian Army" or whatever they're called now, the very same "terrorists" we're fighting in other countries? And many of them, as Assad actually says, foreign. That's not me taking sides because the whole Middle East thing just gives me a headache but it doesn't seem to always be this one way street you'd believe if you just watched the news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suarez Is Boss View Post
    I'm by no means clued up on Syria, but aren't lots of the "Free Syrian Army" or whatever they're called now, the very same "terrorists" we're fighting in other countries? And many of them, as Assad actually says, foreign. That's not me taking sides because the whole Middle East thing just gives me a headache but it doesn't seem to always be this one way street you'd believe if you just watched the news.
    I guess I'm not clued up either.

But regardless of who they are, do they sit back and look for a peaceful resolution when under such heavy attack? As for who's who and what's accurate in that situation...who knows what's happening. I can understand the reluctance to arm rebels considering the past mess we've gotten into or maybe governments are just turning a blind eye on this one since there is no benefit and nobody wants a war during this financial crisis.

As Zimm said earlier, countries look out for their own interests first. The Al Qaeda link talk...fuck knows if that's true after the WMD and Al Qaeda links to justify the Iraq invasion. That 'terrorist' word always set the alarm bells ringing and relates back to what old Maggie was trying to do all those years ago. It can deflect sympathy for the cause and public opinion. Heck, we were in the heat of the IRA problems at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite how the ANC were to achieve enfranchisement while brutally subjugated by a minority regime that used the weapons of state to do so is beyond me. To then label THEM the terrorists is pretty sick logic.