Page 182 of 184 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184 LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1838

Thread: Euro 2024

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Most of the time it really is just one or two teams…..
    I found some pre-tournament odds for the Euros
    England 7/4, Spain 4/1, Germany 9/2, France 9/2, Netherlands 7/1, Portugal 9/1

So according to the bookies we were favourites but not clear, runaway favourites.

While we're here, I had a look at the odds for the next World Cup - I appreciate we are a couple of years out and this will change. But right now it's:
    Brazil 6/1, France 13/2, England 7/1, Spain 9/1. Germany 10/1, Argentina 10/1

So that's 6 countries and at the moment there's no clear favourite and the odds are fairly close between those 6.

Compare and contrast with the PL.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/betting/p...cc841424e85506

Two very clear favourites, Man City 11/10, Arsenal 15/8, then a fair leap to Liverpool at 7/1. The rest, you might as well not bother. It's not the same dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I found some pre-tournament odds for the Euros
    England 7/4, Spain 4/1, Germany 9/2, France 9/2, Netherlands 7/1, Portugal 9/1

So according to the bookies we were favourites but not clear, runaway favourites.

While we're here, I had a look at the odds for the next World Cup - I appreciate we are a couple of years out and this will change. But right now it's:
    Brazil 6/1, France 13/2, England 7/1, Spain 9/1. Germany 10/1, Argentina 10/1

So that's 6 countries and at the moment there's no clear favourite and the odds are fairly close between those 6.

Compare and contrast with the PL.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/betting/p...cc841424e85506

Two very clear favourites, Man City 11/10, Arsenal 15/8, then a fair leap to Liverpool at 7/1. The rest, you might as well not bother. It's not the same dude.
    Two years away is far too far away for odds to be anything more than quite nebulous. Brazil for example won one match from four at the Copa America, and in Conmebol qualifying have one point from the last four matches losing to Colombia, Uruguay and Argentina. Yes they’ll qualify for the tournament but they are in a bit of a state right now. And as you say the odds are largely evenly spread out but two years out and it will change as the tournament gets nearer the teams are qualified and the groups are drawn so you can get a good idea of how the tournament may map out

And in Mathematical and betting terms 7/4 is much shorter odds than 4/1…so it’s not Nadal at the French open you can bet your mortgage on it odds (and given we lost it’s just as well) but those are the odds of a team fancied more than any other.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 16-07-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway another thing we’ve not spoken about is who do we want as England’s next manager

I said a couple of weeks ago my preferred man would be Jurgen Klopp however I simply don’t see that as realistic. I think we should make enquiries but I’d expect them to be rebuffed. I don’t think it would go down well in Germany, anymore than it would here an Englishman managing the German national team.

With that in mind, the clear and obvious person for me is Eddie Howe. He’s had a difficult season with Newcastle but he has turned them into a side where no one wants to go to St James Park. And even if a bit iffy away from home, they do score a lot of goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two years away is far too far away for odds to be anything more than quite nebulous.
    Hence me looking up the pre-tournament Euros odds which showed the same sort of thing. We were in the group of teams who were expected to be contenders but there weren't 2 teams which had fairly short odds and then the rest nowhere as it is in the PL.
    It's not the same. There's no debate about that, I'm just looking at numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least we've you two to entertain us until the next World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hence me looking up the pre-tournament Euros odds which showed the same sort of thing. We were in the group of teams who were expected to be contenders but there weren't 2 teams which had fairly short odds and then the rest nowhere as it is in the PL.
    It's not the same. There's no debate about that, I'm just looking at numbers.
    Except it isn’t the same, there’s a big difference between being rated at 7/4 and the next team being rated 4/1…especially in a tournament of 24 teams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except it isn’t the same, there’s a big difference between being rated at 7/4 and the next team being rated 4/1…especially in a tournament of 24 teams
    Arguing with numbers

Dude, gun to your head who is going to win the PL this year? I'll give you two choices. You know what the answer is.
    Before the Euros you couldn't have done that so confidently. There's probably a group of teams you think could win it, but there just isn't a clear favourite or two in these tournaments.
    That isn't an opinion.

Here's the point. England may be "favourites" for the next World Cup, but all that will mean is they will be one of a group of teams who people think could win it, there will most likely be 4 or 5 of those. People may think us most likely, but it's not going to be clear. It's not so meaningful as in the PL where there are two favourites and if you're going to bet on anyone else then you might as well chuck your money in to the fire now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arguing with numbers

Dude, gun to your head who is going to win the PL this year? I'll give you two choices. You know what the answer is.
    Before the Euros you couldn't have done that so confidently. There's probably a group of teams you think could win it, but there just isn't a clear favourite or two in these tournaments.
    That isn't an opinion.
    You’re the one comparing it to the premier league odds not me

And you’re the one arguing with numbers

When the bookies are predicting there is twice as much chance for England to win as the nearest team, no it’s not Man City odds but it’s a clear favourite not just one amongst loads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the bookies are predicting there is twice as much chance for England to win as the nearest team, no it’s not Man City odds but it’s a clear favourite not just one amongst loads.
    OK. You're going to be putting a big bet on then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. You're going to be putting a big bet on then?
    Big bet on what, these are odds for a tournament that’s just happened

All im saying is that come 2026 if we get our act together there’s no reason why bookmakers won’t be offering similar odds at the World Cup. Which even then guarantees nothing