Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1838

Thread: Euro 2024

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Big bet on what, these are odds for a tournament that’s just happened
    Oh I see. But you said you didn't understand why we were favourites and you said France had a better squad.
    It's almost like you do understand that being "clear favourites" is a bit meaningless in the context of an international tournament.
    Almost.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Arguing with numbers
    No silly, you're Letters.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you did there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Oh I see. But you said you didn't understand why we were favourites and you said France had a better squad.
    It's almost like you do understand that being "clear favourites" is a bit meaningless in the context of an international tournament.
    Almost.
    Yes thought they have superior squad (albeit not a lot in it) and that Southgate was a significant drag factor on our chances

Bookies determine odds in order to avoid losing money and they use a far more scientific method to determine their odds than I would to form my opinion, agree that being favourites is deterministic of nothing but my point is it won’t be based on nothing if we are considered favourites. It doesn’t mean we are going to win, it means that in my view under the right circumstances we will have a better chance to win than at any time in the last sixty years.

And the reason I wanted Southgate gone, is given that I do think this it seems awful to waste that opportunity with a negative, defensive minded coach who has reached his high water mark. Whether the guy who comes in can improve upon this ultimately remains to be seen.

I feel I’ve adequately explained why I think the way I do about this World Cup, I feel I’ve convincingly set out that this isn’t just breathless optimism as I wouldn’t ever have previously backed us to win anything. It might not happen and it goes without saying you’re free to differ with me. But as I say given my tendency if anything to be incredibly downbeat on the chances of Arsenal a team I infinitely care more about the national side, we have the opportunity I feel to go into that tournament as ahead of the pack which I agree guarantees nothing, but suggests amongst sports experts and statisticians that there’s a reason we are capable that goes beyond blind optimism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So on the subject, an interesting question (well interesting to most, probably not our resident Liverpool fan)

If you had the choice that Arsenal would win the league in one of the next two seasons (only one, and not the champions league either) or that England would win the World Cup in 2026 which would you choose?

I didn’t have to think about this, it’s Arsenal every time especially given twenty years have passed since our last league title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So on the subject, an interesting question (well interesting to most, probably not our resident Liverpool fan)

If you had the choice that Arsenal would win the league in one of the next two seasons (only one, and not the champions league either) or that England would win the World Cup in 2026 which would you choose?

I didn’t have to think about this, it’s Arsenal every time especially given twenty years have passed since our last league title
    Arsenal every single day. Forget about a title I’d even prefer to see us win a Carabao Cup if offered the choice between that or an England World Cup win.

I want England to do well but I’m just not as emotionally invested in international football to care enough about it. I haven’t sat down to watch an England friendly or qualifier in years so England only really exists to me when a tournament comes around. If Arsenal fail it bothers me tremendously but if England fail I just think oh well on to the next one.

England’s hardcore support tends to come from fans of smaller clubs and in particular from the lower leagues which is of no surprise.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 17-07-2024 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Arsenal every single day. Forget about a title I’d even prefer to see us win a Carabao Cup if offered the choice between that or an England World Cup win.

I want England to do well but I’m just not as emotionally invested in international football to care enough about it. I haven’t sat down to watch an England friendly or qualifier in years so England only really exists to me when a tournament comes around. If Arsenal fail it bothers me tremendously but if England fail I just think oh well on to the next one.

England’s hardcore support tends to come from fans of smaller clubs and in particular from the lower leagues which is of no surprise.
    Oh I think if it was the fa cup or carabao cup I’d choose England. We have plenty of fa cups, and the carabao cup is a nothing trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I think if it was the fa cup or carabao cup I’d choose England. We have plenty of fa cups, and the carabao cup is a nothing trophy.
    It’s more about the amount of joy I’d extract from those scenarios. Everything with England is short lived but those moments for us I’d savour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    It’s more about the amount of joy I’d extract from those scenarios. Everything with England is short lived but those moments for us I’d savour.
    I am half tempted to go out to the US for the World Cup, not even necessarily for England but I have family in California who live in Santa Clara where the 49ers stadium is and will be a World Cup match venue and may look to get tickets to see a game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to go to a World Cup but I’m just waiting for it to be hosted somewhere closer to home. USA is very accessible though so that may have to be considered.

I’ve been to a couple of Euros and the football fever is really fun to experience. My eldest is starting to take a real interest now too so I’ll 100% be taking him to as many games as I can in 2028.