User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal on the slide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    Aye - but the most depressing thing about it is that players are wanting out without being prepared to put their heart and soul into trying to achieve the success that's necessary. I can understand players lacking loyalty - what hurts is seeing them lacking any sense that it is a privilege playing for a club like Arsenal. That is what we are losing - hence why I have such sympathy with many of the points being made in the article.
    That's a problem with modern day footballers unfortunately, something that we just have to grin and bear. For me, the club has a fantastic foundation for future success, however it has neglected the current team for an ideolgy that could bare fruit in 1 year....or 5 years, no one knows and no one is prepared to wait, apart from the most important people at the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    That's a problem with modern day footballers unfortunately, something that we just have to grin and bear. For me, the club has a fantastic foundation for future success, however is has neglected the current team for an ideolgy that could bare fruit in 1 year....or 5 years, no one knows.
    That's true, however our collapses and policy's don't help to encourage loyalty either. It's always hard to hold onto players, but if you show some ambition and do achieve some success you have a better chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is how we plan for the future when the club's best players want out, and its starting to look like a vicious circle that is making the club a less attractive proposition for prospective best players?
    That is a slight worry. Players are going to look to manu first as they have a recent track record. However, players are going to chavs who have only won one league title in the last 5 years - only 1 fewer than us.

I'm sure there are plenty of great players who would look to play for the Arsenal still, because we are, despite everything, one of 3-4 clubs most likely to win trophies in the PL. If Citeh, Liverpool and (shudder) spuds can make themselves title contenders over the next year or so, then there will be a bigger issue getting players in. The fact is, although we have failed at the last hurdle a few times, we are close - frustratingly close - and a really top player might feel that he and another can be what makes the difference between nearly made it and actually getting the title and want to join because of the glory they will have, not just of being in the winning team, but also feeling they made the difference. Maybe that is what Wenger / Gazedis will be saying to prospective buys over this transfer period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much as the stepping stone status rankles, its the refusal to bust a gut to alter the club's fortunes while they are with us that hurts more. Sometimes it almost feels that players are laughing behind the manager's back at how gullible/naive he is.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    That is a slight worry. Players are going to look to manu first as they have a recent track record. However, players are going to chavs who have only won one league title in the last 5 years - only 1 fewer than us.

I'm sure there are plenty of great players who would look to play for the Arsenal still, because we are, despite everything, one of 3-4 clubs most likely to win trophies in the PL. If Citeh, Liverpool and (shudder) spuds can make themselves title contenders over the next year or so, then there will be a bigger issue getting players in. The fact is, although we have failed at the last hurdle a few times, we are close - frustratingly close - and a really top player might feel that he and another can be what makes the difference between nearly made it and actually getting the title and want to join because of the glory they will have, not just of being in the winning team, but also feeling they made the difference. Maybe that is what Wenger / Gazedis will be saying to prospective buys over this transfer period.
    I'd love to believe that. More importantly, I'd love to believe that we are talking to players of the caliber able to make the difference. My fear is that by allowing the Cesc/Nasri stalemate to continue, we are allowing the choice players to go elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    That's a problem with modern day footballers unfortunately, something that we just have to grin and bear. For me, the club has a fantastic foundation for future success, however it has neglected the current team for an ideolgy that could bare fruit in 1 year....or 5 years, no one knows and no one is prepared to wait, apart from the most important people at the club.
    Right - which is why we must have those couple of extra 'backbone' players to give us that extra bit that results in getting trophies. Wenger is right in that we are close, but until we have the key motivating players in the right positions (CB, CM) then we are going to keep just being close. It is not a disaster but we do need some enforcers. Success has come to teams with people like Adams, Keane (Roy), Vieira, Terry to drive them if heads start to drop or if someone needs to drive forward and show the way. OK some of them are total cunts but their sides get the results that tip the balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much as the stepping stone status rankles, its the refusal to bust a gut to alter the club's fortunes while they are with us that hurts more. Sometimes it almost feels that players are laughing behind the manager's back at how gullible/naive he is.
    As I've mentioned before, some players are self-motivated but most need to get this from the manager. You'll often see the effect a new manager has on players (when he's the right choice), he seems to glavanise the players and they seem to be hungrier.

Our current manager cannot motivate, the fact the players don't believe in his method and perhaps aren't self motivated add to the problem...as for being gullible, he is time an time again players kick him in the teeth and yet he maintains the same policy.

It's the manager's problem that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no clear trend of decline. What there is is stagnation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    Right - which is why we must have those couple of extra 'backbone' players to give us that extra bit that results in getting trophies. Wenger is right in that we are close, but until we have the key motivating players in the right positions (CB, CM) then we are going to keep just being close. It is not a disaster but we do need some enforcers. Success has come to teams with people like Adams, Keane (Roy), Vieira, Terry to drive them if heads start to drop or if someone needs to drive forward and show the way. OK some of them are total cunts but their sides get the results that tip the balance.
    Couldn't agree more. The current team is severely lacking in character. With RVP and Wilshere probably being the only exceptions from the season just gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    There is no clear trend of decline. What there is is stagnation.
    Perhaps - but whan does stagnation become decline? Remember that if you stagnate, while those around you press on, its the same thing! Plus, I'd say that in terms of us being a destination club the trend is downwards, not flat.