User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal v Wolves. Sat 17th August. 15:00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m probably being a negative nancy but I don’t see how we better last season. We will need to hit peak Klopp’s Liverpool standards to be sure of winning the league and I don’t think we’re at the level they found from 2019-2022.

Maybe City will have some uncharacteristic slip ups to enable the bar to be lowered as I do think this will be Pep’s last year, but we will need to just find a way to continue on from last season and hope for the best.

Hoping Martinelli and Jesus contribute more this season as they were the biggest let downs last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I’m probably being a negative nancy but I don’t see how we better last season. We will need to hit peak Klopp’s Liverpool standards to be sure of winning the league and I don’t think we’re at the level they found from 2019-2022.

Maybe City will have some uncharacteristic slip ups to enable the bar to be lowered as I do think this will be Pep’s last year, but we will need to just find a way to continue on from last season and hope for the best.

Hoping Martinelli and Jesus contribute more this season as they were the biggest let downs last year.
    I agree, I think we'll be third at best unless we suddenly make some sales and bring in at least one striker and one attacking midfielder

I can see things starting badly and Arteta then running Saka and Odegaard into the ground because he's desperate for results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

I don’t think we will better last season, which is disappointing. But we are still comfortably the second best team in the league. Liverpool’s squad is no where near as good as it was three seasons ago, they’ve traded in the best manager in the league (albeit not by choice) with a rookie from the Eredivise and they’ve not been able to make any signings. It is worrying for them that a player like Zubimendi in the prime of his career should think himself better off staying with Real Sociedad than a club with the history and pedigree of Liverpool.

Aston Villa will be nowhere after having to sell Luiz and Diaby, Newcastle well they might find it easier than last season but again they’ve not been able to significantly strengthen.

Spurs are dining out still on the Kane money but it’s hard to argue that they’ve really replaced him.

I think we as you say need more from Martinelli and Jesus this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I agree, I think we'll be third at best unless we suddenly make some sales and bring in at least one striker and one attacking midfielder

I can see things starting badly and Arteta then running Saka and Odegaard into the ground because he's desperate for results
    Have you been going back into the archives and taking lessons from me?. Because you sound like me a year ago although that was much more about how we were playing than signings. I think we’ve needed a striker for years, the fact that we’ve never signed a striker under Arteta (Jesus isn’t really a striker in the conventional sense) suggests Arteta doesn’t seem to like them.

I as you know disagree about finishing third at best. I think our inactivity in the transfer market largely reflects the lack of activity in general. Spurs signing Solanke doesn’t exactly give me sleepless nights

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

Who do you think will better than us other than City?
    I agree with MO, I don't think we will do better than last season but I don't think we will do much worse and who other than City will do better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I agree with MO, I don't think we will do better than last season but I don't think we will do much worse and who other than City will do better?
    At the risk of answering for him, he thinks Liverpool will finish above us. I don’t see it

I tend to think without strengthening we will plateau. We got the absolute best out of this lot in the second half of last season but without a striker we are basically saying we cannot have an off day

I think we could potentially partner Havertz with Jesus, but a) that would depend on the claim that Jesus being as poor as he was last season was down to recurrent injury and b) I’m not sure how that would work with the way we set up tactically

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be hammering them really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think Liverpool will surprise people (though not me) and I think we'll drop off a bit too, at least we will if we don't buy at least one good attacking player and also ditch Zinchenko

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused now. Who do you have in second ahead of us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team news in ten minutes

I would expect to see the same starting lineup as against Lyon