User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal on the slide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    Plus, I'd say that in terms of us being a destination club the trend is downwards, not flat.
    Definitely, more and more players are not interested in the opportunity to play for us, the only ones we can attract regularly are the kids who know they'll get more money and game time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Definitely, more and more players are not interested in the opportunity to play for us, the only ones we can attract regularly are the kids who know they'll get more money and game time.
    ...and the type of players who are happy to come knowing that they will get a cruisy time, having played a couple of half decent games and secured a nice fat pay packet.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this based on a couple weeks on non transfer activity by most clubs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    No it's based on recent history and the fact players have openly come out and said they're not interested in joining us.

In terms of prestige we're definitely going backwards, no established player wants to sign for a club who regularly collapse when it matters and have a reputation for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    There is no clear trend of decline. What there is is stagnation.
    Indeed. It needs fresh input. This could be a new manager but it could be just Arsene getting a push from a fresh board - i.e. Kroenke - and I am hoping that the board change might make the difference. We are moving from a very conservative board to a new owner who will, if nothing else, want to make changes, just because he is there. No successful person like Kroenke takes something over and makes no changes. It just doesn't happen. Even if he is keeping Wenger as manager, I can't believe he will not want changes to take place. Also, if he is going to make it work - to market the Arsenal product, which is what he must do - then one of the important selling points is having the team captain holding up some silverware. He is likely to be looking at investing in some players for a later bigger reward in sales (especially in the far east) of Arsenal products as manu did and even chavs are starting to do. I don't think the old board worked in that way but I am pretty sure he will.

Here's hoping that in this window we will see some movement indicating that is going to happen. I'm not worried yet - the transfer window has months to run - but I'd feel happier if we had some positive signs before we get deep into August.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    Nope - its based on 6 years of under investment; the lack of balls shown by the vast majority of our players over the majority of that time; the stinky attitude shown habitually by several of our very well paid professionals; and the 'mini crisis that we are now seeing where 3 of our most senior players want out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who said that they didnt want to join?

from my knowledge, man utd and other euro super clubs have always been ahead of us in the pecking order

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    Perhaps - but whan does stagnation become decline? Remember that if you stagnate, while those around you press on, its the same thing! Plus, I'd say that in terms of us being a destination club the trend is downwards, not flat.
    I don't think other clubs have pushed on though. They've tried to but for all Liverpool and Spurs spending they've not managed to leapfrog us despite doom mongering on here that they would. The only club who have is City but we can't seriously compete with a side with unlimited funds. Chelsea leaptfrogged us by spending silly money, City will do the same. If anyone thinks a different manager could have stopped that happening then they're deluded. Only Utd have resisted and they've not exactly been thrifty and have Ferguson as manager who is better than pretty much anyone else by a distance IMO (much as I hate the man it's impossible to deny how good he is).
    The race for 4th will be interesting next year with Liverpool and Spurs sure to push hard. I see the top 3 from this year being the same as next, after that it's harder to call although I do fancy us to finish 4th again simply because for all his faults Wenger has never failed to deliver that at least.
    But it's not decline that clubs can throw silly money around to leapfrog us. Or, at least, it's not decline we can do much about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think other clubs have pushed on though. They've tried to but for all Liverpool and Spurs spending they've not managed to leapfrog us despite doom mongering on here that they would. The only club who have is City but we can't seriously compete with a side with unlimited funds. Chelsea leaptfrogged us by spending silly money, City will do the same. If anyone thinks a different manager could have stopped that happening then they're deluded. Only Utd have resisted and they've not exactly been thrifty and have Ferguson as manager who is better than pretty much anyone else by a distance IMO (much as I hate the man it's impossible to deny how good he is).
    The race for 4th will be interesting next year with Liverpool and Spurs sure to push hard. I see the top 3 from this year being the same as next, after that it's harder to call although I do fancy us to finish 4th again simply because for all his faults Wenger has never failed to deliver that at least.
    But it's not decline that clubs can throw silly money around to leapfrog us. Or, at least, it's not decline we can do much about.
    Surely the silly money phase will be ending with the new fair play rules coming into effect? It might still be that we will have the last laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good point, well made re the competition. But I fear you overdo the 'silly money' point. As many have said, its not our inability to spend silly money that made us implode this season. And I think that its our failure to prevail against non top 6 clubs rather than the likes of Citeh and chavs that has people worried about a malaise that goes more than chequebook-deep.