• No.

20 66.67%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Giroud ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Podolsk, but when he's been given chances down the middle he's been mostly shit. As for Bendtner, I saw him live against Hull and he was worse than anything Giroud has served up this season.

Giroud is a decent player and would be ideal back up to a top class striker. He's had an ok season but its not his fault Wenger has played him 90 mins every week, even when its clearly not going for him. He's had 2 shockers in a row which has cost us (particularly tonight) but I blame Wenger for neglecting this area of the squad, not Giroud.

What we're severly lacking is pace. Both out wide and up front. Its killing us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think we should get rid of him but he's nowhere near good enough. We need more options.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see Sanogo given a chance really; his back will probably go at any given moment so we should take the chance whilst we can.

Not much in the way of hold up play from Giroud today really, nor any good lay-offs. If he can't do that then his role does become a bit redundant. However if we don't get many players up to support him either for fear of being hit on the counter-attack then maybe it is going to be tougher for him, or anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people have been saying we need an elite striker for a long time. Even when Adebayor and RVC had great periods of form. It's usually what makes a good team outstanding.

It's actually extraordinary that we've performed so well without one. And we haven't even had Theo available to ease the burden somewhat.

It's not Giroud's fault that he's the only viable option in the squad and there's no-one to play ahead of him in the pecking order, alongside him on the pitch or providing meaningful back-up on the bench. That's a management fault. Giroud is doing the best he can. And what he can do will always be limited.

If Warwick Davies was playing at CB for most of the season and had been found wanting but was virtually irreplaceable because of no other options, I certainly wouldn't petulantly bitch at him if he'd put in the best effort he could. Because it wouldn't be his fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing about Podolski is he's an accomplished finisher, for me I'd pick him ahead of Giroud just based on that, a striker doesn't need to be running around all match heading it back and sideways to be effective.

Ideally we should get a pacey striker who can finish up front and a pacey winger to add to the likes of Cazorla, Ozil and Ox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I'd like to see Sanogo given a chance really; his back will probably go at any given moment so we should take the chance whilst we can.

Not much in the way of hold up play from Giroud today really, nor any good lay-offs. If he can't do that then his role does become a bit redundant. However if we don't get many players up to support him either for fear of being hit on the counter-attack then maybe it is going to be tougher for him, or anyone.
    Maybe, he's totally unproven though, he's barely got any games under his belt for anyone and is injury prone. Players like him need to be given the odd game here and there for them to get their confidence up, alongside top forwards for them to learn from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be hard for Wenger to escape charges of gross mismanagement if we had to go into the most critical period of the season with a complete novice leading the line. It'd destroy the kid's career here, even more than signing him destroyed it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Maybe, he's totally unproven though, he's barely got any games under his belt for anyone and is injury prone. Players like him need to be given the odd game here and there for them to get their confidence up, alongside top forwards for them to learn from.
    Of course he's unproven, he's barely played a game!

I'm guessing you're advocating sticking with Giroud then. There's not a chance in Hades of Poldi playing as a striker for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Of course he's unproven, he's barely played a game!

I'm guessing you're advocating sticking with Giroud then. There's not a chance in Hades of Poldi playing as a striker for us.
    No definitely not, our options are very limited though, wouldn't hurt to play a couple players up front for a change maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podolski has never impressed when he's started up front on his own, that's just not where his strengths lie. Wenger has built this side with the idea of a big striker bringing a talented midfield into play, it's a niche role. It's obvious Giroud is limited but he does what Wenget wants. The only way to make this system effective is to have some pacey wide players who will take chances and beat their markers.