Page 3260 of 3260 FirstFirst ... 22602760316032103250325832593260
Results 32,591 to 32,598 of 32598

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy5y0w6xg43o

My line manager is of the opinion that private schools should be scrapped completely. His reasoning being it would force the wealthy to invest in the state school system. He's got a point. Private schools and the old boys network seem to help people get ahead in life but given a lot of the old Etonian PMs we've had it doesn't mean they're competent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with this idea is that pupils leaving the private system creates an extra burden on comprehensive schools that in many areas they are not well equipped to deal with

For me it’s like ending freedom of movement in order to get better paid jobs for those born here. I’m not unsympathetic with the end result, it just doesn’t work like that. All that has happened is the government have had to massively increase immigration to fill certain jobs in the social care sector to compensate.

At the risk of sounding lefty, this is why the private sector is not best placed to preside over areas where it’s hard to make a profit.

If you want private schools to pay their way, the best thing to do is improve comprehensive education first so that less people feel the need to send their kids to private school

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    The problem with this idea is that pupils leaving the private system creates an extra burden on comprehensive schools that in many areas they are not well equipped to deal with
    That's only a problem if you do it overnight. In reality it would have to be more of a phased thing

If you want private schools to pay their way, the best thing to do is improve comprehensive education first so that less people feel the need to send their kids to private school
    That's a bit chicken and egg though. Where's the incentive for wealthy people - and most MPs are in that category - to do that when they can pay for a better alternative?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That's only a problem if you do it overnight. In reality it would have to be more of a phased thing

That's a bit chicken and egg though. Where's the incentive for wealthy people - and most MPs are in that category - to do that when they can pay for a better alternative?
    I personally don’t give a shit about private schools one way or the other to be honest, if they exist it doesn’t create a problem for me, but given this government clearly does care about this and wants to de incentivise people sending their pupils there it would make sense for them to do it that way. Chicken and Egg suggests it’s ambiguous what should come first, where as I’ve stated…doing it this way is entirely self defeating and ends up detrimentally affecting students most

Because parents paying school fees will probably pull their kids out of fee paying schools before the changes come into effect, and therefore you might end up with greater enrolment in local comprehensives than what you’re able to deal with.

My brother moved to Liverpool and his son was born there, he moved him to a fee paying school when the boy turned nine…because he lives in a new affluent estate in a rougher than your mum’s leg hair area and therefore not a great catchment area. He can afford the VAT but quite possibly those in similar situations can’t
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; Today at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think Education is a joke in this country top to bottom anyway, so I couldn’t blame anyone who has the money sending their kids to private school. Higher education is going the way of the US in that it’s ideologically captured (when I went to university and studied politics, many of the lecturers you could tell leaned left but more in a social democratic way than anything plus they didn’t try to inculcate their students).

Too many people doing pointless arts degrees and ending up in the same kind of job they’d be in if they’d finished at a level and saddled with student debt, it’s become a prestige thing (although it always has). I have a degree but hasn’t made the blindest bit of difference to my employment prospects.

Would help if we encouraged students more into STEM fields

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don’t give a shit about private schools one way or the other to be honest
    This is my line manager's thesis, not my own. I don't have a particularly strong opinion, but I can see the logic.

where as I’ve stated…doing it this way is entirely self defeating and ends up detrimentally affecting students most
    That's based on the thought that all the people currently in private school will end up in the state system. That isn't going to happen, certainly not imminently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think Education is a joke in this country top to bottom anyway, so I couldn’t blame anyone who has the money sending their kids to private school. Higher education is going the way of the US in that it’s ideologically captured (when I went to university and studied politics, many of the lecturers you could tell leaned left but more in a social democratic way than anything plus they didn’t try to inculcate their students).

Too many people doing pointless arts degrees and ending up in the same kind of job they’d be in if they’d finished at a level and saddled with student debt, it’s become a prestige thing (although it always has). I have a degree but hasn’t made the blindest bit of difference to my employment prospects.

Would help if we encouraged students more into STEM fields
    That's a pathetic Tory cliche, the arts/media industries are some of the most successful in the country and creative subjects do actually feed into areas like engineering and design where innovation is needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think Education is a joke in this country top to bottom anyway, so I couldn’t blame anyone who has the money sending their kids to private school.
    My line manager's thesis is that if that wasn't an option then the powers that be would make sure that education is better as the state of it would affect them and their children. I'm not saying he's right, but it's reasonable logic

Too many people doing pointless arts degrees and ending up in the same kind of job they’d be in if they’d finished at a level and saddled with student debt
    Maccy

it’s become a prestige thing (although it always has). I have a degree but hasn’t made the blindest bit of difference to my employment prospects.
    Mine is in Computer Science and it definitely made a difference for me. I wanted to get into IT and I don't think I'd have got a foot in the door without a degree.
    Actually most of the people I worked with in the more technical part of my career didn't have a Computer Science degree, but STEM subjects were common.
    I don't think my degree actually prepared me that well for my job, but it got me in the door.

I agree that too many people go now. When I was young University was for the "bright kids". Now it seems to have just become the thing to do. Which I think is bad anyway, but particularly when as you say too many kids do degrees which don't actually get them anywhere and leave them saddled with a large amount of debt before they've really got going in life.

My advice to kids these days is to think carefully about their options after school. If their degree is going to a career then fine. If not then just get out there and start working, do something more vocational.