Results 32,691 to 32,698 of 32698

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I thought you meant she was under 18
    ...I presume you mean the nephew is and can't travel so you have to have it there?
    Or do it without him. He's only 4, he's not going to remember it anyway.

GW Wedding
    Sadly I think the DLR has given us a false impression of just about how feasible a driverless rail network would be

I do have some sympathy with platform and station staff who most likely will become obsolete as time goes on, and are not paid anywhere near as handsomely as the drivers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I'm sure "management grade staff" going on strike will be a disaster...
    It's not just management:

As well as Tube drivers, instructors, management grade staff and those in the engineering section are to take action

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Sadly I think the DLR has given us a false impression of just about how feasible a driverless rail network would be
    Why isn't it feasible? This seems like a fairly easy problem to solve with current technology.
    My ire is mostly reserved for the drivers who do this every year and are paid pretty much double the average wage.
    They have unsociable hours but otherwise this isn't a difficult job. The reason we have the most expensive* transport in Europe is because of their greed and the strength of the union.

*I made that up, although I think it's pretty much right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't it feasible? This seems like a fairly easy problem to solve with current technology.
    My ire is mostly reserved for the drivers who do this every year and are paid pretty much double the average wage.
    They have unsociable hours but otherwise this isn't a difficult job. The reason we have the most expensive* transport in Europe is because of their greed and the strength of the union.

*I made that up, although I think it's pretty much right.
    Because the DLR was specifically built to be an automated service, it’s not a question of lacking the technology it would be a case of pretty much ripping up every rail track in the country and re laying it to make it suitable, along with the signalling system. Whilst I am absolutely spiteful enough to want to do that in principle, I think the cost of such a project would give me second thoughts.

We have the technical expertise to build a Maglev tunnel in the Atlantic that could withstand both tectonic stress and water pressure and therefore create a direct train service between london and New York, but the sheer time and money this would cost makes it totally unviable
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://x.com/jakewsimons/status/184...k_DvSqUkaQFrjw

If a police officer considers carrying a sign saying Hamas are Terrorist as an act of incitement, it shows we have a big problem in this country. Basically he’s saying, we neither have the resources or inclination to protect you so we are going to apply some bullshit about breach of the peace and arrest you.

This is the kind of cowardly attitude the police in this country have taken to extremist filth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just management:
    Yes i did see that, it was just a cheap joke, aren't they allowed on here any more... ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Yes i did see that, it was just a cheap joke, aren't they allowed on here any more... ?
    No ones told you that you’re not allowed on here anymore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    it’s not a question of lacking the technology it would be a case of pretty much ripping up every rail track in the country and re laying it to make it suitable, along with the signalling system/
    Without knowing much about this, I don't really see why the track would need to be replaced. But I do take the point that the London Underground is a very old system and some adjustments would need to be made - which may be prohibitively expensive. I'm just fed up of these fuckers doing this every year and holding the capital to ransom. The government always caves which is why we have Tube drivers being paid £65k for what is, let's face it, pretty menial work. Which of course translates into how bloody expensive it is to travel.