User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There Corruption By Match Officials In The Premier League

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would actually be harder to prove that there isn't any corruption rather than if there is.

Anyone think that the genuine result between us and Citeh should have been 6-6? What was it, 2 disallowed goals and a penalty turned down?

Then Barcodes yesterday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corruption or not, at least on the refereeing standards, it's very incompetent to allow the current level of errors that influence results so much. Video technology, in one way or another, should've been in a long time ago for the amount of money and interest riding on these decisions. I've always talked up a challenger system where each team can have one challenge. Presumably they'd save them for the mega controversial decisions like an offside goal, and the mins spent arguing with the referee would disappear with a 5 second check on a replay.

But the fact that it's not being implemented in some way is allowing more claims for corruption. Because, really, there's no reason not to. Tradition is important but sports are allowed to improve. Most high profile sports with a following have it now. Only football lags way behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This board is corrupt.
    somebody put something in my milk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replying to thread. No - there's no corruption only incompetence.

And IMHO there has always been incompetence. Its just now that every refereeing decision is endlessly analysed. In the past - with less wall to wall coverage and less riding on results financially, poor decisions didn't get the scrutiny they now do.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which might have been acceptable before they turned pro. Surely there should be some kind of expectation of consistency and accuracy of decisions with a very high minimum acceptable percentage of errors

Does such a thing exist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Xs- View Post
    Which might have been acceptable before they turned pro. Surely there should be some kind of expectation of consistency and accuracy of decisions with a very high minimum acceptable percentage of errors

Does such a thing exist?
    Been thinking about this a bit. I think times change. Human nature doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard for every million passenger flights there's one crash. So competency is possible in some industries. Trouble with refs is they have too many people apologising for their astounding (which is what it is, astounding) incompetence. The FA, the media, pundits and even the fans, all commiserating with how hard it is to be a ref. Well steps could have been taken a long time ago to introduce at least some minimal competency to what is a multi billion quid industry after all. Certainly technology. Then there's this bullshit about players making it hard for the refs. And nothing gets done about it. A ten match ban for clear cases of cheating (like every time Bale plays), that should sort that out easily enough. A ten match ban for dissent, even if it did mean Utd would effectively cease to operate. A ten match ban for being a big girl's blouse and rolling all around the place every five minutes. They could fix a lot of the shit they use to apologise for these crappy refs.

Which is why they don't do it I suppose. Controversy sells and the scum that has floated to the top of the game is all about the money.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I heard for every million passenger flights there's one crash. So competency is possible in some industries. Trouble with refs is they have too many people apologising for their astounding (which is what it is, astounding) incompetence. The FA, the media, pundits and even the fans, all commiserating with how hard it is to be a ref. Well steps could have been taken a long time ago to introduce at least some minimal competency to what is a multi billion quid industry after all. Certainly technology. Then there's this bullshit about players making it hard for the refs. And nothing gets done about it. A ten match ban for clear cases of cheating (like every time Bale plays), that should sort that out easily enough. A ten match ban for dissent, even if it did mean Utd would effectively cease to operate. A ten match ban for being a big girl's blouse and rolling all around the place every five minutes. They could fix a lot of the shit they use to apologise for these crappy refs.

Which is why they don't do it I suppose. Controversy sells and the scum that has floated to the top of the game is all about the money.
    Hmmm - I think the problem is that although the game has changed out of all recognition, our obsession with 'tradition' has meant that match officials are starved of the technology that would allow them to keep pace. I agree 100% though, that there is huge inconsistency in terms of disciplinary process. For example, I simply don't understand why violent conduct can be punished after the event but diving; or obvious offences that the ref has apparently seen but fked up isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    I think it would actually be harder to prove that there isn't any corruption rather than if there is.

Anyone think that the genuine result between us and Citeh should have been 6-6? What was it, 2 disallowed goals and a penalty turned down?

Then Barcodes yesterday?
    Not to talk about the 2 offsides that would have seen us alone with the keeper. Negredo's offside goal and Milners best impression of Ashley Young for the penalty. I cant believe this game is being forgotten just because we played bad, this was as obvious as it could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    We've never had the refs under our influence.

we were just too good at the time and everyone hated us even more because of it.
    People were absolutely convinced that we had the refs on our side during the unbeaten season. They would point to the Portsmouth game other decisions that went in our favour and cry about corruption and unfairness. They would point to a penalty that their team should have won or a player that shouldn't have got sent off and make a list of 'proof'. I remember having a good laugh at those whiny, jealous and bitter fans and ask myself 'how is it possible to become THAT bad of a loser?!'.

I just hope our fans aren't going the same way.