0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Didn't know much about Emery, but he had an impressive trophy haul and sounded meticulous to the nth degree. However, I always felt his away record was ominous and didn't really see how or why that should be ignored.

Now we can't even get it together at home.
    They were all Europa League titles, cause his team couldn't qualify for CL in la liga before Atletico started their current form.

And let's not forget how Jardim made him look like a moron his first season at PSG. And also he didn't win a single away league game his last season at Sevilla.

Oh no, signs weren't there

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    He got rid of a fair amount of dross, which Wenger would have never done, so I'm pleased about that.
    Agreed although I'm disappointed about Ramsey, he's a big loss and we didn't really try to keep him

It hasn't worked out for Emery, he's lost his way but with Wenger we were only going one way
    Possibly. Certainly the last season was by far his worst and while the steady decline many predicted never really happened, we never ended up in mid-table or worse but the last couple of seasons under him saw us finally drop out of the top 4 and it's hard to predict how we'd be doing under Wenger now. One thing is for sure, he was never going to win us another league title. We did need to get rid of him if we were going to progress. But the assertion that he was the worst manager around and literally anyone would do better was horseshit and has been shown to be horseshit.

by the time he left the squad was in tatters and we barly had a decent player left in the squad
    This is also horseshit. If the squad was that poor and we had the "worst manager around" then when were we anywhere near the top 6?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the back of that club statement Laca and Auba will almost certainly be making plans to go, they won't stick around for more of this shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    But the assertion that he was the worst manager around and literally anyone would do better was horseshit and has been shown to be horseshit.
    Listen fans had had enough of the guy, year upon year of the same rubbish, no progression, collapse after collapse, never getting rid of deadwood, letting top players walk out for nothing, sticking to the same system time and time again even when it wasn't working, abandoning all the things that made him sucessful in the 1st place, reluctance to spend money and when he did the majority of the time he insisted on trying to find the next big thing rather than signing a proven player, refusing to sign a DM and for years an out and out striker, harping on about top 4 being a major trophy, despite getting humiliated in the competition time and time again, choosing to criticise the fans rather than his own playing staff, is it any surprise people grew frustrated and called him the worst manager around and that anyone would do better? Sometime people say thing when they're angry/frustrated that aren't always gospel truth, the point was the man was driving the fans nuts with his stubborness.

The fact noone would have him back, even now probably tells you everything you need to know, even when things are bad we wouldn't choose to have him in charge, in fact at the moment it seems like no club does as he hasn't managed since he left us

Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    This is also horseshit. If the squad was that poor and we had the "worst manager around" then when were we anywhere near the top 6?
    The squad was awful, not being funny but look at the players we got left with, defenders that can't defend, midfielders that were average, other than the two strikers (neither of which he wanted particularly it seemed - Lacazette he barely played and Aubameyang there was talk was signed despite him being reluctant) it had very little quality, the only difference is we had a big suqad which allowed us to rest players, something the smaller clubs don't have, thus injuries/tiredness has a much great impact on their ability to last the distance, in addition the smaller clubs didn't have top strikers like we did and that's often the difference between no points and 3 points at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    On the back of that club statement Laca and Auba will almost certainly be making plans to go, they won't stick around for more of this shit
    Yes not good news, once again they'll be going into their final year, so we either sell them at a knockdown price or lose them for nothing the following year, the people at the top really have no foresight, keeping Emery is a big negative in so many ways, if after 18 months the manager has no system, no best 11 and his team are incapable of putting in a good performance in half a season I don't think there's a way back.

Someone likened it to Leicester when they had Puel, they were struggling, Vardy wasn't scoring then they brought Rogers in and withing 6 months with almost the same squad they are flying high, playing great football and in 2nd place in the league. Leicester got rid of Puel, they didn't keep him around, which is exactly what we should be doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes not good news, once again they'll be going into their final year, so we either sell them at a knockdown price or lose them for nothing the following year, the people at the top really have no foresight, keeping Emery is a big negative in so many ways, if after 18 months the manager has no system, no best 11 and his team are incapable of putting in a good performance in half a season I don't think there's a way back.

Someone likened it to Leicester when they had Puel, they were struggling, Vardy wasn't scoring then they brought Rogers in and withing 6 months with almost the same squad they are flying high, playing great football and in 2nd place in the league. Leicester got rid of Puel, they didn't keep him around, which is exactly what we should be doing.
    Couldn't agree more. The irony is that if we'd signed Rogers after Wenger, fans would have been up in arms...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Couldn't agree more. The irony is that if we'd signed Rogers after Wenger, fans would have been up in arms...
    Probably true yes, but a few good results and it all changes, that goes for any manager, if a manager comes in wins games and the team are flying high fans would be happy. Think Rogers has had a positive impact at every club he seems to have managed, even at Liverpool they were a Gerrard slip away from the title.

To be honest I really didn't like what Ornstein said the club thought, especially the bit about being encouraged by our performance against Leicester as they are a very good side, Leicester shouldn't be capable of competing with us with their resources, the fact the powers that be think they're superior to us and a 2-0 defeant is encouraging is shocking, especially given we had 1 shot on target all match.
    Last edited by Özim; 12-11-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen fans had had enough of the guy
    I know. And by the end I wanted him gone too - for his own good as much as ours.

is it any surprise people grew frustrated and called him the worst manager around and that anyone would do better? Sometime people say thing when they're angry/frustrated that aren't always gospel truth
    Which would be fine had they not, every time I pointed out that obviously he's not the worst manager around, say I was "sucking his cock" and double down on the assertion.
    Which is why I'm now taking the opportunity to say "I bloody told you so!"

The fact noone would have him back, even now probably tells you everything you need to know, even when things are bad we wouldn't
    choose to have him in charge, in fact at the moment it seems like no club does as he hasn't managed since he left us
    Yes, that could be proof of how terrible he is. Or it could be that...he's 70.
    As (I think it was) MO said, how many people are better at doing their job in their 60s than they were in their 30s and 40s?
    You often use the fact that he's not managed since us as a smoking gun of something. Clearly at 70 he's not at the peak of his powers.
    But was he as bad as you claimed? The results since he left shows that no, no he wasn't.

The squad was awful
    So we had a big, terrible squad, a manager with all the failings you site and yet it was only in his last season we were far short of the top 4. I'm sure that makes sense in your head somewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you starting to see now that while Wenger was "a" problem, he was far from the only problem and replacing him was not going to be a silver bullet?
    'Cos every time I said that I got the boring "stop sucking Wenger's cock" nonsense too. #justsayin'