• Saturday

0 0%
Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been a huge Arteta fan because the progress has been a little too shrouded in pain at times, however if he can deliver 4th without a decent striker and injuries in key areas, then you have to say that would be an excellent return that’s above expectation. This summer will be critical in terms of bulking out the squad with the quality needed because we’ll have more games next year and not anywhere near the same amount of preparation time as we’ve enjoyed this year.

Being able to offer CL football will make a big difference to our recruitment (and existing contracts) so we have to grab it now the opportunity has presented itself. The top 4 is a lot more interchangeable than it used to be when we were there every season, there’s no guarantees we’ll be there again next year. So at this stage now it would be a mega disappointment to miss out on this golden opportunity because you feel this squad is only a sprinkling of quality away from really taking off.

Leicester missed out 2 seasons running on the final day when they had quite a promising team and now that ship has sailed for them.

Whatever happens though, I think it’s fair to say Arteta has earned the right to see out this job. Assuming things won’t turn to absolute shit next year that is.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 02-05-2022 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously I want us to finish Top 4 but I do fear for us if we do.
    We are not equipped for the CL, we don’t have the quality or the squad depth. It has to be acknowledged that if we do finish Top 4 then the lack of European football and going out of the FA Cup early are factors. Big summer coming up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We are not equipped for the CL, we don’t have the quality or the squad depth. It has to be acknowledged that if we do finish Top 4 then the lack of European football and going out of the FA Cup early are factors. Big summer coming up.
    even if we fail badly in the CL first time round, that ought to then show Kroenke what's needed for us to really compete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letters unfortunately is a man with scant imagination. He can only see whats already in front of him and even then with binoculars. If we cannot challenge for the CL while being in it, how will we ever challenge for it from the outside. Has anyone seen a CL challenging team somewhere in the mid league table. Many a CL champion has not been last years domestic league champion but they have always been 2nd or 3rd, except maybe Tottenham back then, I guess.

Look at Villareal with our erstwhile manager. They have a team made of players that do not shout star quality. Im sure no one wants us buying any current Villareal player as a difference maker but see what they are doing. They ARE challenging. Ive never been an Arteta fan. I cant see what the fuss is about but here we are on the cusp of 4th. If we make it. Im all for keeping him, but we will need a step change in the quality of our midfield and forwards. Xhaka and Elneny will not move the needle for us.

I still remind everyone that Zidane is available twiddling his thumbs. A proactive owner would be trying to get him before Chelsea or some other club or National team do. His pedigree is beyond doubt. If Arteta loses out and he stays another season then that will effectively been another 4 years down the drain and another classy manager that we have let go by. Dont say he wont come here...We havent asked him yet have we?
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I agree, partially.
    However, now we are in the position we are, I would be absolutely gutted if the Spuds get it.
    I have said it before, it's the hope that kills you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Letters unfortunately is a man with scant imagination. He can only see whats already in front of him and even then with binoculars. If we cannot challenge for the CL while being in it, how will we ever challenge for it from the outside. Has anyone seen a CL challenging team somewhere in the mid league table. Many a CL champion has not been last years domestic league champion but they have always been 2nd or 3rd, except maybe Tottenham back then, I guess.

Look at Villareal with our erstwhile manager. They have a team made of players that do not shout star quality. Im sure no one wants us buying any current Villareal player as a difference maker but see what they are doing. They ARE challenging. Ive never been an Arteta fan. I cant see what the fuss is about but here we are on the cusp of 4th. If we make it. Im all for keeping him, but we will need a step change in the quality of our midfield and forwards. Xhaka and Elneny will not move the needle for us.

I still remind everyone that Zidane is available twiddling his thumbs. A proactive owner would be trying to get him before Chelsea or some other club or National team do. His pedigree is beyond doubt. If Arteta loses out and he stays another season then that will effectively been another 4 years down the drain and another classy manager that we have let go by. Dont say he wont come here...We havent asked him yet have we?
    I'd say give us time. Some excellent posts above from LDG; MO and Selassie all reference similar, and true issues here - and these are (1) that we are not in a bubble; and (2) we need to be realistic about where we have been, and where we are as a club in terms of competing with the best teams around - and let's face it, above us in the league we have 2 of the best teams and managers in world football, and the curernt CL champions. There's a massive difference between ambition in a general sense and having the means to get there. There's also a need to understand that signing even the best percieved manager is no guarantee of success. Reaching the top requires a great manager, yes, but there are a myriad of factors that combine to produce success. You mention Zidane. He has been phenonenally successful but Real Madrid could not be much more different to Arsenal. Would success in a different league and with a team that regularly included Galacticos translate to an Arenal without the sheer draw; spending power and profile of Real Madrid? Maybe - but equally it could be a disaster - especially with a manager who doesn't speak English and would hardly be regarded as one likely to be suited to long term development.

Part of the mess that Arsenal have been in since the last years of Wenger has been caused by chasing short term success. The EPL is littered with examples of clubs seeing illustrious managers as holy grails to take them to glory, but in reality it rarely works like this. You have to get the basics right, and whether or not Arteta turns out to be the manager to get us back to competing with the best domestically and in Europe, there is clear evidence that in his 2 1/2 years he has taken us from a bit of a basket case to a club with far better foundations in terms of ethos; player profiles; togetherness (both players and fans) and (more recently) a clear and successful transfer policy. If we are to 'step up' again in terms of a manager, these things are essential as a foundation to build on. What's more it would be essential to find a manager who will do so - rather than disrupting our club again with a different approach.

Essentially, this is what many Gooners are saying. Arteta has done enough at this point to have gone some way to getting the club back on track, and there is potential for further progress under him. Progress may not seem tranformational but the problem with being impatient for success is that its too easy to compare our team with much better established competitors, and take examples of 'one offs' elsewhere as indications of what could be achieved at Arsenal. Emery and Villareal are made in heaven for each other, but that is such an outlier. In any event, if you want to make a more realistic comparison with our ex manager, he may have won the Europa league, but their league position is similar to what Arteta has achieved at Arsenal and Arteta has also won a Cup with us.

Klopp is another manager who has proven an extraordinarily good fit for Liverpool, but he guided then to 8th; 4th and 4th in his first 3 seasons in years where arguably the competition was not as strong in the EPL as now. What's more he brought infinitely more experience to the table than our rookie manager, who is inevitably learning on the job and in this context is achieving a lot with us.

I'd say that Arteta has bought himself the right to be trusted to push on from here. He may do so, he may not, but as you say we need to keep him to find out.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta has signed a new deal till 24/25.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/congrat...ikel-and-jonas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little bit after November then
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Arteta has signed a new deal till 24/25.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/congrat...ikel-and-jonas
    This is good news. While we all know that the contract will be torn up if we tank - and a manager's contract is never locked in in this respect - this provides stability and for the players in particular shows that the manager is fully invested in them and his project, and backed by the owners. This can only be a good thing for our club.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter