User Tag List

Page 457 of 463 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,570 of 4629

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interestingly Sky only started up in about 1990, when he was about 10, so at that point it was hardly seen as a must-have and therfore an indicator of poverty - which it still isn't btw a there are many households (including mine) which don't have it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family cleverly went with BSB, very much the Betamax of satellite TV. Older members may remember the "squareial" they had.
    It was a bit shit.
    They quickly went bust but thankfully Sky bought them so we got upgraded for free.

I'm with Sky now and have been for yonks. I really should cancel as it's not good value for money. That said, I recently got upgraded to Sky Q for free and that box is pretty good. Has apps on and that which is quite convenient, means you can watch Netflix and Disney+ etc via the Sky box. Handy as I don't have a Smart TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refused to have it while Murdoch owned it, a shame as i'd have loved to be able to watch some of the winter overseas cricket tours as well as PL

even though he doesn't own it now, i still can't really afford to shell out and anyway the PL is now split across a lod of different people so it's not worth it - I'd only get it for sport and tbh haven't the time to watch most of it anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have NowTV which costs around £12 pm and you get a few Sky channels and also the option to upgrade to movies/sports either anually/monthly and for some daily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I refused to have it while Murdoch owned it, a shame as i'd have loved to be able to watch some of the winter overseas cricket tours as well as PL

even though he doesn't own it now, i still can't really afford to shell out and anyway the PL is now split across a lod of different people so it's not worth it - I'd only get it for sport and tbh haven't the time to watch most of it anyway
    You remind me of the people who at the moment go around putting boycott stickers on Israeli dates. Or more specifically Martin Bryce from Ever Decreasing Circles

I can’t say I particularly like Murdoch’s control of print and television media, but I think there’s a rather false assumption that people on the left make that it’s only because of right wing media that we dont have more left wing governments. The fact is this like America is a centre right country, and if right wing tabloid editors were totally out of touch with how people felt their media wouldn’t sell.

Plus I’d argue that if you genuinely cared about taking some kind of high moral stance, you’d chuck out half the things in your house. Most smart phones for instance are made from metal sourced from African mines where the workers are essentially slaves, and that’s before we get on to sweat shops and the shitty way Amazon treats its employees.

I personally love the Trans for Palestine weirdos, one actually admitted they were in a quandary because a lot of the hormones they needed to take were manufactured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree, I think without people being constantly being fed brain poison for decades this country would be at least a bit more tolerant and also less willing to believe totally contradictory bullshit they're fed by the right

Murdoch made a loss on some his papers but was happy to do so because he knew he was partly controlling the political discourse in the UK - makes me laugh (admittedly somewhat bitterly) at all those 'I don't wanna be controlled by foreigners' types who voted Leave, when a foreigner owns most of the papers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I don't agree, I think without people being constantly being fed brain poison for decades this country would be at least a bit more tolerant and also less willing to believe totally contradictory bullshit they're fed by the right

Murdoch made a loss on some his papers but was happy to do so because he knew he was partly controlling the political discourse in the UK - makes me laugh (admittedly somewhat bitterly) at all those 'I don't wanna be controlled by foreigners' types who voted Leave, when a foreigner owns most of the papers
    Let’s be fair though, you are incentivised to believe that. That somehow people like Murdoch spread around.a false consciousness which you of course are immune to.

My opinion is that of course Murdoch’s media empire does influence opinions but it’s also pushing at an open door.

The one thing you learn from people, on both the left and the right even those who claimed to be politically engaged is that vibes are more important to them than facts. I found the average Remain voter to be just as lacking in anything approaching substantive information about what they were voting for than the leave voter.

People vote on instinct as much as they do information. People voted Remain largely did so because they were broadcasting that they consider themselves open, liberal and tolerant…they were also the people most likely to follow lockdown regulations to an almost assiduous and borderline officious degree (leave voters conversely were far more likely to be anti lockdown, more conspiratorially minded) . Because mainly they were more inclined to have trust in institutions, like the fiscal institutions that made forecasts about Brexit…did they understand the forecasts anymore than those who claimed it was “Project Fear”? not really.

They were also less likely to have been impacted by austerity cuts, or the increase in immigration (immigrants invariably being sent to places which had more poverty and fewer local government resources).

I voted Remain in a small c conservative way, when the alternative is poorly fleshed out and endorsed by those I had little reason to trust especially when they spoke in vagaries…it seems the path of least resistance to abide with the status quo.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 12-06-2024 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I found the average Remain voter to be just as lacking in anything approaching substantive information about what they were voting for than the leave voter.
    There should have been a test tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    There should have been a test tbh.
    A test on understanding the EU, what it does, what it consists of, what effect it has on the body politic and decisions taken in this country would have eliminated 95% of the electorate

Not because 95% of us are stupid, but because 95% of us don’t have the time or inclination to learn these things and that’s why we have representative rather than direct democracy.