User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Run-In thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    That's what I keep running up against whenever I think we could do it - we played really well against Fulham and Palace, but have stiffer tests to come and I just think Liverpool and Citeh will be too strong for us, plus we have some injuries now and may get more

One thing i don't subscribe to is that this is our best chance - i think our team's mentality can only get stronger and with CL football plus a 1st/2nd place in the PL we wil be able to strenghen in the summer
    Totally agree with this, especially the bit in bold. I don't have a crystal ball but this team / squad looks like it's ready to compete for the big prizes going forward, we are not top of the league by luck, the performances back up the results. I also think Arteta and Edu are extremely ambitious and will keep on improving and evolving the quality of the squad.

Irrespective of what happens this season, I would hope we are challenging for the title next season too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    End of the day we’re up against a powerhouse who’ve done this for years while this is completely new for us.
    It's not completely new to us. We have Jesus and Zinchenko who were part of that powerhouse only last year. Both have experience of this kind of run and will be sharing that experience with the rest of the team.

Obviously they have more players with experience in a title fight, but our squad isn't full of novices.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Hope I'm wrong but context is key here.
    It's probably 3 of the 4 toughest games of the season (lost the other one at Old Trafford). That could be 7-9 points dropped with games against Chelsea, Brighton and away to west ham to play too...it's just a real tough run of games, man.

Knowing arsenal they'll win a couple of those then lose at home to Southampton, ffs
    I agree, though I look at it more as we have 10 cup finals to go and each game is going to be equally as tough, I hope that's how the players are looking at things. Over the past month in games such as Villa away and Bournemouth at home we have rocked at times but managed to navigate our way through the challenges, I think there is more of that to come and not necessarily in the games we think we may drop points in. Stakes are really high now, we all know as do the players, literally we have to treat every game as a Cup Final now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    It's not completely new to us. We have Jesus and Zinchenko who were part of that powerhouse only last year. Both have experience of this kind of run and will be sharing that experience with the rest of the team.

Obviously they have more players with experience in a title fight, but our squad isn't full of novices.
    I suppose that also applies to the manager as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post

For sure, we have some players with that experience to lean on but conversely a lot of our players haven’t even played in the CL.

I think experiencing that failure last year can help though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partey is now a doubt for Saturday along with Saliba.
    I just hope injuries do not derail a blinding season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    https://twitter.com/TalkingHighbury/...5Es1_&ref_url=

Thomas Partey will fly back to Arsenal. Partey felt something in his right leg during a training session on Sunday, Sources close to the player insist it is not a hamstring issue and believes he should be fine for Saturday's game.
    Sounds like he may be ok for Saturday, he sat out the 2nd Ghana game as a precaution.

Partey is a great player but his constant injury niggles are a massive headache, need one of Rice or Caicedo in the summer so we can properly rotate Partey going forward.

P.S. The silence on Saliba's injury is worrying, we absolutely need him for the run-in, especially for those tough away games.
    Last edited by selassie; 28-03-2023 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Partey is not a doubt for Saturday

Saliba is a doubt for the rest of the season. Which means that we would have no chance of winning the title and would possibly sputter our way into the top 2. Playing Holding at centre back means almost certain defeat against Liverpool and City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Saliba is done that’s a horrible blow. Given the radio silence I’m inclined to believe the injury is worse than originally feared. Holding is unlikely to play at a high level every week and who knows if Kiwior is good enough or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a shame Kiwior hasn't had more minutes

Holding was very good against Palace but as MO says not sure he'll keep the standard up and Liverpool and Citeh are obviously a much stiffer task - we'll just have to hope he can rise to the occasion but not having Saliba is a major dent to our title hopes