User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Wenger Still Go?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 51.06%
  • No

23 48.94%
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger Out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    He should definitely go, we have no chance of winning a thing with him in charge.

It's been a terrible season IMO and except for a few results very forgetable, the season was as good as over in February, 4th place is good (but not success) but are we happy to just continue making up the numbers in the CL and failing time after time to succeed when the opportunity is there?
    stop it. most enjoyable season in years.

wenger did well filling out the squad before the deadline but he now needs to sprinkle the world class quality on top. podolski, a worldclass playmaker and a defender to partner kos and/or good enough to hold vermaleans hand would be lovely. actually dont mind rvp making us sweat with the contract because it will put the club under pressure to buy big.

now if he doesnt, then the wolves will be out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    But I have to take issue now with your forgettable season comment. This season has been anything but forgettable. I cannot recall going through such a rollercoaster of a ride within one season. Ever.
    Aye, and that's my point. It's the roller-coaster which is a lot of the fun of being a football fan if you follow a team week to week. The bad times make the good times seem all the better. I can't think of anything more dull than being a Rangers fan when they won the title 10 years in a row. It surely can't feel the same as a trophy will after a (for us) long barren spell.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Aye, and that's my point. It's the roller-coaster which is a lot of the fun of being a football fan if you follow a team week to week. The bad times make the good times seem all the better. I can't think of anything more dull than being a Rangers fan when they won the title 10 years in a row. It surely can't feel the same as a trophy will after a (for us) long barren spell.
    I guess Rangers fans have unintended excitement now though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Of course, it all depends where your priorities lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: this 'should have been sacked' thing

Do you reckon the guys at the top, those with the actual power of termination, knowing that we have to make £15-20 million profit a year, would choose to sack Wenger, appoint someone else and charge them with the directive of both winning trophies AND making them the £15-20M profit?

That'd be a tall order for anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I haven't felt this happy as an Arsenal fan for about 5 years. And all it's taken is for the lads to put such effort into the game, that you can't help but fall in love with the team again. Seeing a group of players who aren't just about money and where their next move is, is what it's about, and what supporting a team is all about.

But I'm not sensible, logical or a tactical genius...
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    But I'm not sensible, logical or a tactical genius...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should still go because despite our good recent form, all we're fighting for at the tail end of the season is qualification for the Champions League. In fact in previous seasons we still just about in the title race around this time (although it was inevitable that we were going to collapse) so if anything we've regressed this season. We are a club that won 5 trophies in a 4 year period from 2001-2005, and now we've had no successes for 7 years. A few good results doesn't hide that fact.

The biggest problem with Wenger is his mentality. He's no longer interested in the Carling Cup and the FA Cup, because financially they can't compare to qualifying for the Champions League, which is the height of the club's ambition these days. This is not good enough, I want to see an ambitious manager in charge who will at least try to win trophies, even if we fail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh? Last year we got to the final of the Carling Cup. This year he was putting out pretty much his full side in the FA Cup, we went out after a poor display but it wasn't because Wenger played a load of kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But whenever you hear Wenger in interviews he comes out with the usual stuff about how "4th is a trophy" and it's clear that he considers the FA Cup and Carling Cup low down on his list of priorities. Perhaps other managers do so as well, but they're not so open about it. There's every chance this indifference transmits itself to the players, who don't go for the Cup with the same intensity as they would, for example, a league game.

And another thing is why, whenever we reach the final stages of a tournament or seem like we're challenging for the league, that we collapse. You can point to the disintegration in the league in 07-08, 09-10 and 10-11, or the FA Cup semi final loss to Chelsea, Carling Cup final loss to Birmingham, etc. Wenger has failed to assembly a squad with the mental strength to go the extra mile, which distinguishes good teams with decent teams. It's great to show "mental strength" in league matches during a fight for 4th place, but it really counts in the circumstances mentioned above, and that was when we failed the test.