User Tag List

Page 548 of 551 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 5504

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if it was clear we'd have a difficult transfer window that's down to Arteta and Edu, trying to play hard-ball with players that Arteta made clear he didn't favour and not accwpting decemt offers when we got them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Well if it was clear we'd have a difficult transfer window that's down to Arteta and Edu, trying to play hard-ball with players that Arteta made clear he didn't favour and not accwpting decemt offers when we got them
    I meant more that we needed to make a fair amount of money on player sales before we could buy

It’s less that we are playing hard ball over Nketiah it’s more that we need (or think we need) the minimum transfer amount for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I meant more that we needed to make a fair amount of money on player sales before we could buy

It’s less that we are playing hard ball over Nketiah it’s more that we need (or think we need) the minimum transfer amount for him
    Well that's BS, some money is better than no money, think of the cost of keeping him on the books, £20-odd mil is a fair price for someone who's lower-PL-table quality at best, if Arteta and Edu decided to set a stupid price for him and make incoming.transfers dependent on it that's still down to them

Solanke's gone to Spuds and we're stuck with shit like Eddie and Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's BS, some money is better than no money, think of the cost of keeping him on the books, £20-odd mil is a fair price for someone who's lower-PL-table quality at best, if Arteta and Edu decided to set a stupid price for him and make incoming.transfers dependent on it that's still down to them

Solanke's gone to Spuds and we're stuck with shit like Eddie and Jesus

Solanke is average, he’s a mid table striker. If you want us to be spending 60 million on a player like that, after the 65million outlay on Havertz not sure what I can say to that.

But at same time it’s clear you think we should be bringing someone in, and I’m not sure how you equate that with take whatever money is available for Nketiah. When it comes to making up the numbers to stay in line with FSR, it’s likely that 5-7 million makes all the difference.

Where I think we went wrong is spending 40 million on a defender when the priority was a striker, and it would have then been more tenable to sell Edward for about 20 million. Do I particularly want to be playing Zinchenko at left back not really but Timber is back in the squad already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we should also have sold Zin instead of keeping him to make yet more points-losing mistakes, Kiwior could do the LB job against most sides, including Wolves, and as you say Timber will be available soon, In literally isn't an LB

With Eddie you can't see to get to grips with the need to sell him and the fact people won't pay more than a certain price

Also put Solanke in a side with good supply (and the one things Spuds have is Son, who is that supply), and you will see him do better, ofc he's only going to do so well with a team like Bournemouth
    Last edited by Mac76; 17-08-2024 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we should also have sold Zin instead of keeping him to make yet more points-losing mistakes, Kiwior could do the LB job against most sides, including Wolves, and as you say Timber will be available soon, In literally isn't an LB

With Eddie you can't see to get to grips with the need to sell him and the fact people won't pay more than a certain price

Also put Solanke in a side with good supply (and the one things Spuds have is Son, who is that supply), and you will see him do better, ofc he's only going to do so well with a team like Bournemouth
    And again you can’t get to grips with the fact that just because we need to sell players, doesn’t mean other sides will want to buy them (Zinchenko).
    Even completely unrealistic games like Football Manager have factored this into the game play, and when you try to sell certain players you find there’s almost no interest in them, and that the player would in any event rather run down their contract and go for nothing.
    The need to sell Nketiah is predicated on the need to bring in another striker. If we didn’t have that need it wouldn't really matter if he stayed or not, and we would most likely accept the kind of offer clubs like Marseille are making just to get them off the wage bill.

But as I explained with Thomas Partey last season, if you’re not going to get the money you want for a player in order to be able to replace them with someone of equivalent ability or in Nketiah’s case much better…its easier to keep the player and hope that they start performing. Is it ideal? No not at all but that’s how the market works unless you’re big fucking cheats like City and Chelsea.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 17-08-2024 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been confirmed that Sven Goran Eriksen has died, not a surprise. Still sad though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I saw that while away. I was a bit sad about that. Seemed like a decent guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Yes, I saw that while away. I was a bit sad about that. Seemed like a decent guy.

Did he?

I don't think he was great as England manager, despite (I think) being the highest paid international manager at the time, I thought he took England for a bit of a ride tbh, plus wasn't he a bit of a philanderer?

Still I'm obviously not saying his passing away is to be welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he?

I don't think he was great as England manager, despite (I think) being the highest paid international manager at the time, I thought he took England for a bit of a ride tbh, plus wasn't he a bit of a philanderer?

Still I'm obviously not saying his passing away is to be welcomed

I think when someone says someone is a decent guy when they die , it means they weren’t a massive arsehole. The FA chose to pay him the money they did, and the whole marital infidelity thing…well more of a personal issue, and even the wife he cheated on is eulogising him

He did come across likeable… affable