Page 560 of 560 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560
Results 5,591 to 5,596 of 5596

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'd prefer an English coach in the same way that in some ways I'd prefer English players at Arsenal. But I'd rather have a good England manager and good Arsenal players.
    It's a good point about how few English managers there are at the top level. Of course that translates to how few options there are for our national coach to be English.
    I agree, it's more fun in general if national coaches are from the country that the team is representing.

However we continue to struggle in this country to bring through people with the right level of tactical nous etc.

I'm not sure if that's a poor education system, lack of sophistication in the lower leagues (where most English coaches are) or what. English football's still full of Mike Bassetts IMO, which probably feeds through into the quality of training new coaches get when they do their badges

Look at the attitude of that Steve Holland c**t who pissed off Ben White, there's still too much of that mentality
    Last edited by Mac76; Yesterday at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s also too much of this self hating English mentality which people seem to embody ever since Brexit

The irony of it, is these people don’t realise just how parochial they sound. That somehow England is this primitive backwater compared to the sophisticated Europeans. Nativism and this supremacist attitude that is bemoaned exists throughout the continent, in fact arguably you can say that it’s more pronounced.

I think it’s this kind of snobbery that provides a barrier to those from working class backgrounds getting on in life in any walk of life, and this is why government and civil service still looks very much like an Oxbridge alumni old boys network

The problem to me is two fold, I don’t think there is the incentive for ex professionals to take on coaching either at home or abroad (people like Graham Potter going to manage in Sweden is an outlier, and before that Woy was the most high profile coach to work abroad). It’s not a failure of formal education, because like with playing the game itself there is something intuitive about tactical innovation.

I think often it’s just safer to take on a cosy media role where you don’t face the scrutiny and pressure

It’s only now we are seeing English players being prepared to try their hand in foreign leagues, with both Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham having played for Borussia Dortmund and for those who want to understand the different philosophies of football, I think this may be beneficial (although that said it didn’t do much for Glenn Hoddle)

The other thing is that Premier league clubs I think do have a degree of bias against English coaches and even mid table clubs and relegation scrappers are more inclined to install a foreign coach than take a chance with someone who has done a good job in the Lower leagues. It’s not explicitly anti English, it’s not wanting to take the risk on someone without experience and often it was that the same British coaches would be recycled amongst the clubs - Sam Allardyce, Steve Bruce, David Moyes, Mark Hughes etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big problem with English players or managers working overseas is our utter ineptitude at, or maybe indifference for, learning other languages.
    English has become a sort of global language - in no small part thanks to my organisation - so we don't really make the effort.
    We have gap year students at our church each year from Germany. They come over here at 18 and their English is all but flawless - we can talk to them like I'd talk to any English person. Compare and contrast with my going to France. I could ask where the beach is but I doubt I'd understand the answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The big problem with English players or managers working overseas is our utter ineptitude at, or maybe indifference for, learning other languages.
    English has become a sort of global language - in no small part thanks to my organisation - so we don't really make the effort.
    We have gap year students at our church each year from Germany. They come over here at 18 and their English is all but flawless - we can talk to them like I'd talk to any English person. Compare and contrast with my going to France. I could ask where the beach is but I doubt I'd understand the answer.
    Again there’s no natural ineptitude, we just don’t take it seriously enough to teach foreign languages from an early age

If someone like David Beckham can just about handle speaking Spanish competently (and he could) there’s no reason why others can’t pick up language skills. Plus it can work both ways, I love Robert Pires but the guy was clearly utterly hopeless at speaking English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    There’s also too much of this self hating English mentality which people seem to embody ever since Brexit
    Really?

I see exactly the opposite - bulldogs and flags everywhere, a stupid denial - or almost as bad, an acceptance - of the economic and social damage done because of a backwards-looking illogical sense of not wanting them foreigners over 'ere and 'taking back control' which is nonsense in a global economy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    It’s only now we are seeing English players being prepared to try their hand in foreign leagues
    Oh dear...

ever heard of Gary Lineker? Chris Waddle? Michael Owen? Trevor Francis? Paul Ince? Glen Hoddle? David Beckham? Steve MacManaman? Kevin Keegan? Owen Hargreaves? Mark Hately?

Or perhaps our own Tony Woodcock? David Platt?